• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't give enough of a fuck about this team to start a new thread, but the tigers are firing ausmus.

i'm not anti-servais, but this is interesting.

Yea they are interesting for another reason too. Apparently we can’t sell or rebuild because we have immovable contracts (Cano and Felix). Yet the tigers also have some (Miggy Cabrera and Jordan Zimmerman) yet they are admitting to a rebuild? What’s the difference? Because from my eyes it’s as simple as one team is willing to admit it and one refuses too.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman:

SEATTLE MARINERS
  • The Mariners may need to look for an outfielder this winter, with Jarrod Dyson a free agent and Ben Gamel slowing down in the second half. Lorenzo Cain could make sense, insiders suggest.
  • First base also is an issue. As was mentioned in this space last week, Lucas Duda and Mitch Moreland are among those who will be considered. They also have their own Yonder Alonso, though he, too, has slowed in the second half.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea they are interesting for another reason too. Apparently we can’t sell or rebuild because we have immovable contracts (Cano and Felix). Yet the tigers also have some (Miggy Cabrera and Jordan Zimmerman) yet they are admitting to a rebuild? What’s the difference? Because from my eyes it’s as simple as one team is willing to admit it and one refuses too.

No one will take Felix (plus, it is a PR nightmare) Cano, is still probably two years away from having a team willing to take some or all of it. I'm not sure about the Tigers but I highly doubt they swung and missed on all their draft picks and I know they made a few deals that netted prospects back.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

--------------------------

I only posted this because it made me chuckle.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one will take Felix (plus, it is a PR nightmare) Cano, is still probably two years away from having a team willing to take some or all of it. I'm not sure about the Tigers but I highly doubt they swung and missed on all their draft picks and I know they made a few deals that netted prospects back.
Yea of course it's to late to anything about Felix now. I was mainly alluding to the last 5-6 years. Verlander I think meant about the same to Tigers as Felix did/does to the Mariners. My point is they were able to get value for him when they weren't competing. Also I'm mainly saying Cano and Felix contracts shouldn't be the reason why we can't rebuild.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, according to sources relayed by Jon Morosi of MLB.com, there are 16 teams right now who meet those standards and qualify to receive draft pick compensation for the 2018 MLB draft.

Those teams are the Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Baltimore Orioles, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Colorado Rockies, Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers, Minnesota Twins, Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners and Tampa Bay Rays.

----------------------

Also, we are currently tied with Texas for the 14th pick with two games to go.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And new CBA rule:

Now, in the new CBA, teams with payrolls that exceed the luxury tax threshold will surrender second- and fifth-round picks to sign free agents who were given qualifying offers. All other teams will surrender third-round picks.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman:

SEATTLE MARINERS
  • The Mariners may need to look for an outfielder this winter, with Jarrod Dyson a free agent and Ben Gamel slowing down in the second half. Lorenzo Cain could make sense, insiders suggest.
  • First base also is an issue. As was mentioned in this space last week, Lucas Duda and Mitch Moreland are among those who will be considered. They also have their own Yonder Alonso, though he, too, has slowed in the second half.

What's this JD obsession with Lucas fucking Duda?

This goes back a while if I'm correct, maybe even back when he was with the Angels. He sucks at running. He sucks at fielding. He sucks at making contact. Dude is hitting .219 right now. He sucks. I like Cain a lot. I also would like to see Dyson retained, although Cain is an upgrade over Dyson.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ben Gamel moved while his value is still high. Ship him off to a GM who is willing to ignore that Gamel's numbers were substantially inflated due to an abnormally high BABIP. His cumulative stats look solid. There might be a guy who needs a corner outfielder looking to ignore the fact that he hit .226/.264/.361 over the previous 79 games.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's this JD obsession with Lucas fucking Duda?

This goes back a while if I'm correct, maybe even back when he was with the Angels. He sucks at running. He sucks at fielding. He sucks at making contact. Dude is hitting .219 right now. He sucks. I like Cain a lot. I also would like to see Dyson retained, although Cain is an upgrade over Dyson.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ben Gamel moved while his value is still high. Ship him off to a GM who is willing to ignore that Gamel's numbers were substantially inflated due to an abnormally high BABIP. His cumulative stats look solid. There might be a guy who needs a corner outfielder looking to ignore the fact that he hit .226/.264/.361 over the previous 79 games.
I am not a Duda fan, I don't know why his name keeps getting tossed around. I don't see the appeal, there are better options and options that make more sense.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Duda fan, I don't know why his name keeps getting tossed around. I don't see the appeal, there are better options and options that make more sense.

If he wanted Duda, then he should have just kept Morrison.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wanted Duda, then he should have just kept Morrison.
None of the players we got in the Morrison, Miller trade are in the organization anymore, of course we flipped some of them for other players. Morrison had a hell of a season, I would take LoMo over Duda. I don't really trust Dipoto to build a roster, Dipoto showed how flawed his judgement is this season. Might be a weird off season I am guessing there will be several head scratching moves.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100% agree. Very confusing man-crush JD has on that one.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea of course it's to late to anything about Felix now. I was mainly alluding to the last 5-6 years. Verlander I think meant about the same to Tigers as Felix did/does to the Mariners. My point is they were able to get value for him when they weren't competing. Also I'm mainly saying Cano and Felix contracts shouldn't be the reason why we can't rebuild.

I guess to me there is a difference, Verlander has shown he can still be a dominant pitcher, and if I were an owner I'd take my chances on him. Felix has at best looked like maybe a number 3 starters for 3 years now and in now way would I pay his salary. Seattle should've dealt him years ago when they should've gone full rebuild when the Rangers and Angels were spending boat loads of money and trading off their farm system. The Mariners could've robbed the Red Sox or Yankees farm system blind as those two teams would've given anything to keep him away from the other.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

--------------------------

I only posted this because it made me chuckle.

I'm not gonna claim to be an expert or even know the first thing about baseball sports injuries, but wouldn't this be something they should have done a long time ago?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not gonna claim to be an expert or even know the first thing about baseball sports injuries, but wouldn't this be something they should have done a long time ago?

Somebody asked that and the answer was meaningless. I don't get it either.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody asked that and the answer was meaningless. I don't get it either.

Only thing I can think of is there has to be something in his contract, either they were saving him money or doing him a solid. After his first set back he should've either gone under the knife or been shut down. After the 15th set back they finally decide to have surgery makes no sense at all, even in Jerry's analytical matrix.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
priority should be on building a farm worth more than a warm bucket of spit. have to have a surplus of talent to trade with teams who have what we do need in a particular season. it needs to be built up so that it's sustainable over several years. for example, the fucking royals, the fucking cubs, and the fucking astros. that's what i thought dipoto was doing for the past 18 months, when he suddenly started trading everything decent he had acquired in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs when we all knew it wasn't going to happen.

this team is fucking nowhere.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
priority should be on building a farm worth more than a warm bucket of spit. have to have a surplus of talent to trade with teams who have what we do need in a particular season. it needs to be built up so that it's sustainable over several years. for example, the fucking royals, the fucking cubs, and the fucking astros. that's what i thought dipoto was doing for the past 18 months, when he suddenly started trading everything decent he had acquired in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs when we all knew it wasn't going to happen.

this team is fucking nowhere.

I believed that he was attempting to build a winner for this year while only moving our (limited) farm assets for other players who would benefit the team in both the short to intermediate term. I think he took the "controllable" thing a little too seriously.

I'd much rather have back everything we gave up for Marco, Erasmo and Phelps.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter vague on Stanton's future with Marlins

If only we had the assets to swing such a move. His contract is a black hole but he's one of the most dangerous (and marketable) hitters in baseball right now and is 27 going on 28. He has been inconsistent and dealt with injury issues, but I think everyone knew he had the ability to have a year like this if he stayed healthy.

Him hitting between Cano and Cruz would be devastating.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Divish tweeted that the Mariners are likely to look outside the organization for a first baseman.

Shannon Drayer tweeted that Dipoto revealed Heredia basically played with a dislocated shoulder all year long and it had to be put back into place four times.

Once again I don't want to overstep my expertise since I have none in this subject, but shouldn't something have been done about that earlier? He has to have surgery and was hitting .272/.338/.377, but closed the year out in his final 70 ABs hitting .143/.211/.157. Clearly it was ailing him. Sounds like he should've been shut down much sooner.