• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

offensive philosophy

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i mentioned a number of these things in the GDT for this week but i was curious what people thought of what we can do to open up our offense with the talent we have this season, not with what we'd like to get next year.

1. the roll-out. it seems we move a. smith by design only on 4th down plays. i remember both 4th downs against the cards last week and the one against the ravens when we got the 12 men call, we bootlegged smith to his right and he had enough time to complete passes to kyle williams and delaney walker. with smith's underrated athleticism and decent accuracy on the run, we should take advantage of that more often. also, a moving pocket, as well as a moving target, makes the d adjust more than the offensive line. it does, however, take half the field out of the equation in terms of open receivers/routes so its something that should be used sparingly.

2. the screen game. we have receivers that can block [and like to], athletic tight ends, and RBs that are dynamic in the open field. we also have young, athletic o-linemen that love getting downhill. it seems that the entire year we've barely used the screen pass, whether to receivers [our only successful passing plays in the ravens game were both bubble screens], tight ends [and we do line them up in the backfield at times], or rbs [hunter and gore should both excel in that role]. why? are we saving these wrinkles for the playoffs now that we have the west locked up and are in the driver's seat for the 2nd seed [even with a loss to pitt, we should get the no2].

3. the no huddle. against bigger defenses, especially ones that like to blitz [pitt, dal, bal, nyg], that is a great way to slow them down. wears down the d-line, forces corners into softer cover schemes, puts a ton of pressure on the MLB to call the right D and adjust accordingly, and makes the offense dictate tempo, not the other way around. teams with smart qbs, young/athletic/quick o-linemen, RBs and TEs that can both stay in to block and are a threat to catch screens [rb] or slants/posts[te], and receivers that thrive in the 10-15 yd range are very well designed to run the no-huddle effectively. i think we fit that definition to a T. am i simply making up criteria to fit my own preference or am i on to something here?

am curious to hear feedback from many of the knowledgeable fans on here. we've all watched games for years, if not decades, and not only of the niners. i'd love to see where i'm wrong, where i'm right and where i'm simply delusional.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the no huddle for our offense, but I do think more screens would help.

I mentioned this in the GDT as well, but I really just think the short week and travel killed our prep for this weeks game. We looked very under prepared for their defense and the play calling was pretty vanilla compared to previous weeks. I doubt we had a real gameplan for the Ravens. It was a lot like the preseason in that we were just calling plays and hoping our guys would out play the Ravens opposite them. We failed pretty bad at it just like we did the preseason, but with so little time to prepare we could not do much more.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The screen game is something I've been missing all season. Early on, I figured they just hadn't worked it in, but season's almost up and we haven't seen it. With Gore and Hunter, it just seems like a weapon that we should be using.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our offense seems to move well in the no huddle. might have helped against the ravens

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the no huddle for our offense, but I do think more screens would help.

I mentioned this in the GDT as well, but I really just think the short week and travel killed our prep for this weeks game. We looked very under prepared for their defense and the play calling was pretty vanilla compared to previous weeks. I doubt we had a real gameplan for the Ravens. It was a lot like the preseason in that we were just calling plays and hoping our guys would out play the Ravens opposite them. We failed pretty bad at it just like we did the preseason, but with so little time to prepare we could not do much more.

Yep, some screen passes here and there do wonders for slowing up the outside rush. Also agree that a no-huddle is a bad idea for this team, because I'd much rather have an elite QB with swag for that.

I think the 49ers had a gameplan, they just didn't have a gameplan for the O-Line not blocking anyone.

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'm a bit surprised to hear the anti-no-huddle opinions, if only because we've been very good inside the last 2 minutes of halves this year. while i'd love to have peyton in his prime running it, i think smith is smart, calm, and decisive enough for it to work in our favor. more importantly, its the versatility of our RBs and TEs that make it a matchup nightmare for other teams. sending them all out on routes creates as many as 5 receivers with speed and power: crabs, edwards, vd, walker, gore. at the same time smith can keep one/two of the latter 3 to block if the d shows pressure pre-snap. it seems as though it would be more of a strength than a weakness.