• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where the Nats and Dusty are parting ways. Didn't here any details.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where the Nats and Dusty are parting ways. Didn't here any details.
I know his contract was up so I'd guess it's another case of him wanting a 2-year deal.
He may have decided it's time to retire. I do wish he'd find a job in baseball that isn't in a dugout.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally there's the progress of prospects playing AFL ball to check in on. This year the Reds sent the bottom of the barrel minor leaguers. There really isn't a note worthy player out there.

The only note worthy tid bit is the team is being managed by former Reds bench coach Jay Bell and his son Brantly is on the team. Good for the Bell family....
I guess.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was sort of thinking Hunter Greene would pitch in Arizona.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bell family keeps on going.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever I read about the Reds bullpen no one is mentioning Michael Lorenzen. You don't hear his name in the conversation of starters either. Price leaned on him hard throughout the season, so it's a bit strange that his name hasn't been mentioned more. Iglesias and Peralta are the only two relievers that people seem to think solidfied their role in the pen.

Lorenzen was really good in the early months, but faded the 2nd half posting a 6.00+ era.

I know he wants to be a SP. Maybe Mike and Bryan don't see eye to eye on the subject.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever I read about the Reds bullpen no one is mentioning Michael Lorenzen. You don't hear his name in the conversation of starters either. Price leaned on him hard throughout the season, so it's a bit strange that his name hasn't been mentioned more. Iglesias and Peralta are the only two relievers that people seem to think solidfied their role in the pen.

Lorenzen was really good in the early months, but faded the 2nd half posting a 6.00+ era.

I know he wants to be a SP. Maybe Mike and Bryan don't see eye to eye on the subject.

I think Lorenzen will get a chance to start but there's no way that's in the mix until they see what they have with Finny and Disco. There was just way too much mention of it during the season for it to have no real value. I know announcers only say what they are governed to say but Welsh isn't an outsider and his references to Lorenzen in the rotation were consistent enough to make me think he's in the mix.

I think the Reds do need a lefty in the rotation though they could compete for awhile without one. Besides Finny the only two are Reed and Garrett. I'd give up on Reed, sadly. Garrett -- let's see how that hip heals. That shoves Lorenzen down on the depth chart.

But he may be trade bait if Disco can get it done. I need to see more of Castillo before I order his bust for Cooperstown. He's good. Romano ... meh, maybe? Stephenson? ... Lorenzen is as good.

This is an intriguing time for the Reds who have a whole list of pitchers who are No. 3 or 4 on a depth chart for a contending team. I don't know that they need great pitching in the NL but the offense needs to keep producing. The middle relievers matter a lot and it's stupid to spend a lot of money on that part of a roster.

So that makes Lorenzen and Reed pretty valuable. It also means they will either produce or hit the road. Neither belongs on the back end of a pitching staff. Lorenzen **could** be a good starter.

Tyler Mahle may determine Lorenzen's future.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds made the decision to limit Iglesias to being a reliever after his durability became an issue. In the Reds minds Lorenzen may have fallen into the same category. Lorenzen had the elbow injury during the 2016 ST and missed half the season. Apparently it's easier to get into the Reds bullpen than it is to get out.

Watching Lorenzen pitch early in the season I thought he deserved another opportunity to start, especially with the injury decimated rotation to begin the season.

I think there are a lot of clubs that decide on a players role and are stubborn to rethink the process.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds OD Parade is not ran by the club, it's orchestrated by a Findley Market committee with the support of the Reds and fans.

The committee has decided that the OD Parade will be the fourth home game of the 2018 season.

Opening Day weekend is Easter weekend and the merchants state it's one of the busiest weekends for the market. So they decided they'd rather be open for business than observe the time honored tradition.

I never knew the Thursday before Easter was such an important day.

Thanks for shitting all over another baseball tradition in Cincinnati.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And by the way, the Findlay Market is always closed on Mondays. So thanks for nothing.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening on Thursday is grounds for forfeit.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may find out that is a mistake, if the fans are pissed off enough. You know the Fans that shop and buy in their stores.
Never was a statement so true "It's all about the MONEY"

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micah Johnson has been popular or very unpopular depending on how you view it.

The Reds claimed him off waivers from the Braves Thursday and the Giants claimed him off waivers from the Reds today. Three teams in five days and he may not be done before 2018 OD rolls around.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Reds hired Buddy Bell as VP of Baseball Ops.

There always seems to be a Bell hanging around somewhere in the Reds organization.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micah Johnson has been popular or very unpopular depending on how you view it.

The Reds claimed him off waivers from the Braves Thursday and the Giants claimed him off waivers from the Reds today. Three teams in five days and he may not be done before 2018 OD rolls around.
There was zero reason to claim a backup LF who is a backup 2B. But I have a hunch this is one of those deals where the club throws a cookie at an agent, who makes a buck off this. The agents gotta make the engine run for baseball and stiffing them never helps when a real signing opportunity comes along.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micah Johnson is in no man's land contractually. He doesn't qualify for minor league free agency and most MLB teams don't want to burn a spot on the 40 man to keep him. So they DFA him hoping nobody claims him.

I think the Braves and the Reds were both trying to slide him through waivers so they could outright him to AAA.

Now we'll see how long before the Giants try the same roster tomfoolery.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a game .. might end up back with the Braves eventually. A lot of teams would just like to have him available in the minors, for insurance. So many injuries any more.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micah Johnson was a part of the Todd Frazier three team trade when he played for the Chisox. The Dodgers got Johnson and a couple other scrubs and the Reds got Schebler, Peraza, and another player whose name eludes me at the moment.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to look it up. The third player was Brandon Dixon.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Dixon hasn't had too bad of a minor league career. Life time BA around 264 with a little power. but he probably won't see much ML time.

Now that I said that, he will probably be the MPV the next 5 year in a row.