• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, losing CJ hurts from a leadership standpoint, but this team is clearly looking to Burrow now. They also brought in 2 guys from super bowl winning teams, and Reader is the big guy on defense. CJ had clout being there for nearly 10 years, but his production - his recent season was his best and he didn't eclipse 500 yards - is replaceable on a team that has primary focus weapons like Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finishing off the offseason for me would include:

In the fold:
OG Alex Cappa
C/G Ted Karras
DT BJ Hill

Wanting to be done:
OT La'el Collins (Trade - because we want to keep the team friendly contract in place)
DB DJ Reed Jr.

2 Draft Scenarios

1st Round (Green/Linderbaum/Johnson) OL
2nd Round (Gordon/Goodrich) CB

1st Round (McDuffie/McCreary) CB
2nd Round (Wydermyer/Ruckert) TE

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The AFCN looks like it might get tougher as Browns are all in on Watson. Cleveland makes a lot of sense as they're arguably a probowl QB away from SB contention and they can offer a young franchise QB to Houston in the trade.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AFCN looks like it might get tougher as Browns are all in on Watson. Cleveland makes a lot of sense as they're arguably a probowl QB away from SB contention and they can offer a young franchise QB to Houston in the trade.
True enough. But when you are looking at multiple 1sts, multiple 2nds, and a young player or two emerging as potential stars, that is a massive asking price.

If they can get away with trading Baker, Hunt and the 3 - 1sts and a 2 - 2nds, I would take that as a win for Cleveland.

Now, of the three teams in contention for Watson (Cleveland, New Orleans, Carolina), do you really want to keep yet another all-pro QB in the AFC you are having to compete in, when you have two other suitors outside your conference negotiating also that Watson has approved?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor was Cleve offered, Houston said no to multiple 1st round picks.

Cleve, of course, said they did not offer.

I think they are stuck with Baker for 1 more year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cleveland management flew to Houston this morning to sit and meet with Watson and his agent.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I read on PFT this morning that Watson is scheduled to meet with the Cleveland brass later today. I get the Texans wanting him out of the conference but Mayfield as a trade chip makes them an interesting option. He's been up an down over his career but he's showed flashes of a top 10 QB for stretches of his career.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True enough. But when you are looking at multiple 1sts, multiple 2nds, and a young player or two emerging as potential stars, that is a massive asking price.

If they can get away with trading Baker, Hunt and the 3 - 1sts and a 2 - 2nds, I would take that as a win for Cleveland.

Now, of the three teams in contention for Watson (Cleveland, New Orleans, Carolina), do you really want to keep yet another all-pro QB in the AFC you are having to compete in, when you have two other suitors outside your conference negotiating also that Watson has approved?

These are all valid points. I think I'm more bullish on Baker than most people. He had a great rookie season and looked like he was developing into a very good QB in 2020. He was terrible last year but there were injuries too. If I'm one of the 20 or so teams who don't have a franchise QB I'd roll the dice on him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are all valid points. I think I'm more bullish on Baker than most people. He had a great rookie season and look like he was developing into a very good QB in 2020. He was terrible last year but there were injuries too. If I'm one of the 20 or so teams who don't have a franchise QB I'd roll the dice on him.
I actually agree with you. I don't think Watson is worth the squeeze, especially since I think a healthy Baker Mayfield is a "good" QB. Cleveland also runs a very run heavy offense, and only has Cooper (who I think has lost a little bit of a step) and Njoku who is wildly inconsistent. Great oline to protect Watson, but once again, he is lacking options.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also if the Texans are higher on Mills than Mayfield you can use Mayfield as a chip in a 3 way trade to the Colts, Seahawks, Saints to add to the overall trade haul

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there still a chance Watson gets suspended? We know that legal hurdles being overcome doesn't mean that Goodell won't decide to suspend him.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I actually agree with you. I don't think Watson is worth the squeeze, especially since I think a healthy Baker Mayfield is a "good" QB. Cleveland also runs a very run heavy offense, and only has Cooper (who I think has lost a little bit of a step) and Njoku who is wildly inconsistent. Great oline to protect Watson, but once again, he is lacking options.

It's a good argument. I can also see the Browns looking at their overall roster like the Rams last year and thinking if they can get a little more talent and consistency out of the QB position they can compete for a championship. It's definitely a gamble I can see backfiring over the long run but I don't think it hurts over the short term. If it hits and they get a HOF caliber QB then it's a huge win

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good argument. I can also see the Browns looking at their overall roster like the Rams last year and thinking if they can get a little more talent and consistency out of the QB position they can compete for a championship. It's definitely a gamble I can see backfiring over the long run but I don't think it hurts over the short term. If it hits and they get a HOF caliber QB then it's a huge win
He is under scrutiny, he will be suspended, for how long, yet to be determined. Run heavy offense. Cleveland will never give him a break if he is struggling with that price tag. He hasn't played for a full year. I am don't think the price is worth the squeeze. Although, from what I hear, Watson always thinks the price includes a few extra squeezes.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He is under scrutiny, he will be suspended, for how long, yet to be determined. Run heavy offense. Cleveland will never give him a break if he is struggling with that price tag. He hasn't played for a full year. I am don't think the price is worth the squeeze. Although, from what I hear, Watson always thinks the price includes a few extra squeezes.

I think people are using the Roethlisberger situation as a gauge for the suspension but there was a different dynamic at play. He had already met with Goddell then had a second "incident." Watson has a lot of credible accusations against him but he wasn't on any type of probation or warning beforehand and there are no criminal charges. I don't think the league can come down quite as harshly here.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are using the Roethlisberger situation as a gauge for the suspension but there was a different dynamic at play. He had already met with Goddell then had a second "incident." Watson has a lot of credible accusations against him but he wasn't on any type of probation or warning beforehand and there are no criminal charges. I don't think the league can come down quite as harshly here.
Roethlisberger, while I think guilty, had one accuser that he wasn't tried for. Watson has 22 accusers. The NFL is becoming more and more popular with the female audience. The world we live in is more PC than ever. And the court of popular opinion is going to rule on this decision I think when it comes to profitability of the league as a whole.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I question Baker's attitude and whether it plays well in the professional game. I didn't feel like there were enough people sticking up for him from his franchise when he was attacked by Bekham's dad. But I absolutely believe he is better than what he demonstrated last year - think that shoulder injury really messed him up and I still think he has the skills to be a very good QB.

I don't know what to make of Watson. It's hard to judge his last year on the NFL - He put up video game numbers.... By all accounts he was delivering. But his team won 4 games. I never watched that team close enough to know whether he was putting up numbers because he was down, or if he was delivering when his team needed him. I do know that some NFL team is going to treat him like a top 5 guy and his agents will want top 5 money. For that type of deal, you better be damn sure because you're going to have to start cutting at other positions.

I'm also not as gaga about Cleveland adding Cooper as other folks are.... Sure, it was a really good move. But since the beginning of last season, they've basically exchanged Landry and OBJ for Cooper. They still need a bunch of help there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I question Baker's attitude and whether it plays well in the professional game. I didn't feel like there were enough people sticking up for him from his franchise when he was attacked by Bekham's dad. But I absolutely believe he is better than what he demonstrated last year - think that shoulder injury really messed him up and I still think he has the skills to be a very good QB.

I don't know what to make of Watson. It's hard to judge his last year on the NFL - He put up video game numbers.... By all accounts he was delivering. But his team won 4 games. I never watched that team close enough to know whether he was putting up numbers because he was down, or if he was delivering when his team needed him. I do know that some NFL team is going to treat him like a top 5 guy and his agents will want top 5 money. For that type of deal, you better be damn sure because you're going to have to start cutting at other positions.

I'm also not as gaga about Cleveland adding Cooper as other folks are.... Sure, it was a really good move. But since the beginning of last season, they've basically exchanged Landry and OBJ for Cooper. They still need a bunch of help there.
traded out OBJ and Landry and got very little/nothing in return. Sure, traded for Cooper, but that is kind of a stand alone deal, IMO. Allowing both OBJ and Landry to walk without getting compensation is....interesting.