• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see what you get.

I did another one where a running back fell to us. although I like the ones we have, I don't feel that Mixon alone as a feature back is a good idea, you need another guy who can step in and be the starting rb.

OL and defensive depth I feel are obvious areas of need.

drafting a TE and QB late to attempt to make the roster as backups. I don't feel like Brandon Allen is all that capable, honestly, if it was affordable, we should bring the ol' red rifle back to serve as #2, but that's probably not happening.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see what you get.

I did another one where a running back fell to us. although I like the ones we have, I don't feel that Mixon alone as a feature back is a good idea, you need another guy who can step in and be the starting rb.

OL and defensive depth I feel are obvious areas of need.

drafting a TE and QB late to attempt to make the roster as backups. I don't feel like Brandon Allen is all that capable, honestly, if it was affordable, we should bring the ol' red rifle back to serve as #2, but that's probably not happening.
I actually really like Evans at RB. I think the Bengals got a big-time steal in the 6th round with him. Plus, he's a hell of a receiver as well - something I think that can really be used going forward for Burrow.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually really like Evans at RB. I think the Bengals got a big-time steal in the 6th round with him. Plus, he's a hell of a receiver as well - something I think that can really be used going forward for Burrow.
I like him too. I have a sense that he'll be the guy that makes the biggest jump between this year and next. He could be a real weapon on third down coming out of the backfield. I'd say my only concern about him is that he got dinged up twice this year and he hasn't really played all that much. Hopefully those were isolated, freakish sort of things and not something that will be a persistent issue,.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been using him as a roll player. I think someone needs to compete with perine and trevon to be a capable backup to mixon. When mixon gets hurt , we’ll, the impact will be felt

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been using him as a roll player. I think someone needs to compete with perine and trevon to be a capable backup to mixon. When mixon gets hurt , we’ll, the impact will be felt
I used your little draft thing again. I was able to get RB Jerome Ford with the first pick in the 4th round. I would like that because I like Ford.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used your little draft thing again. I was able to get RB Jerome Ford with the first pick in the 4th round. I would like that because I like Ford.
Ford is very similar to Mixon.

I would have zero issues watching Ford stay in Cincinnati. He made that UC offensive line look much better than it really was. He has break-away speed, and can make back-cuts to break free for long runs. Not sure if he's a great between the tackles guy for power runs, but everything else is top-notch.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I would like to see out of a running back addition would be a short yardage guy. I don't think Mixon is particularly good at picking up 3rd and 4th and short. I'd love a guy that has a little more aptitude for those types of plays.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I would like to see out of a running back addition would be a short yardage guy. I don't think Mixon is particularly good at picking up 3rd and 4th and short. I'd love a guy that has a little more aptitude for those types of plays.
I'd agree, but that really starts more with the OL. When the current starting C/RG/RT can't move you or me, it's useless to see who is in the backfield.

There are other issues at factor as well, such as the lack of formation deviation - teams seem to know exactly when the bengals are going for 1 yard - and with the sub-par OL (already mentioned) - there's no way anyone can have consistent success.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on the Bozeman plan for a few weeks. He sounds like the type of player our coaching staff has valued - A productive starter and good teammate. I've heard that he isn't all that athletic, but that's okay because neither are the other guys on the line so he shouldn't feel intimidated or anything.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey hey hey

Here are some trade targets. I really like the Howard and Mason ideas. Affordable too, which I am sure the front office would like.

That would open up money for Bates.

Granted, they would probably cost us our 1st and 2nd round picks.

However, if you want to get the most out of this, which we will not, but still dreaming.

Give up pick #31 for Ryan Ramczyk (very expensive - would maybe require Saints to eat a little of his contract) Best RT in football
Give up pick #63 for Shaq Mason (very reasonable contract and under contract for a couple years)
Sign Bradley Boozman in FA (sign him to a 4 year deal worth around 8-10 million per)

That seals up the entire right side of the line: RT, RG, C - with Jonah Williams coming back, and Carmen might be better suited for LG since he played LT in college. Maybe his overall body strengths and movements might be better geared to move in that direction. Plus, you still have the other young guys we drafted last year we can look at and maybe develop. That would strengthen the line alot. With us not losing much if we can resign Bates too, then I think we are set and the rest of the draft, rounds 3-7 can be used to pick best player available on the board.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
harder to predict trades.

we usually aren't big swingers in the trade market. we like to trade for extra late round picks.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

uzomah is pretty much gone they think.
I don't think StripeHype has much of a scoop. As for Uzomah.... He's going into his 8th season. He missed almost an entire season due to an achiles injury just one year ago. In his absolute best season, he didn't even put up 500 yards and he scored 5 touchdowns. It's hard for me to see another team backing up the Brinks truck to sign him.

He's a valuable part of our team due to his leadership and I'd love to have him back. But I think he'll have to sign a team-friendly contract to stick around and I don't suppose he'll have a lot of big money offers elsewhere.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would 100% trade the 31st pick if they could land an OT.

First - you have no clue who will fall, or if anyone you really like will fall, to you at 31.

Secondly, you get a more proven commodity over a potential bust, or ending up with a guy who needs a year, or two, to develop.

Lastly, the Bengals have a TON of cap room. They can offer front loaded deals (where many teams will want to backload so they can cut and save cap). This not only allows the Bengals to pay more up front in actual money the player will likely see, but it frees up the back end of their deals to ensure that the cap continues to be well taken care of even as it expands with the new TV deal (meaning, plenty of room for extending guys like Chase, Higgins, and of course, Burrow).

If ever there were a time to make a few wheel/deal trades - this would be the PRIME year to do it.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would 100% trade the 31st pick if they could land an OT.

First - you have no clue who will fall, or if anyone you really like will fall, to you at 31.

Secondly, you get a more proven commodity over a potential bust, or ending up with a guy who needs a year, or two, to develop.

Lastly, the Bengals have a TON of cap room. They can offer front loaded deals (where many teams will want to backload so they can cut and save cap). This not only allows the Bengals to pay more up front in actual money the player will likely see, but it frees up the back end of their deals to ensure that the cap continues to be well taken care of even as it expands with the new TV deal (meaning, plenty of room for extending guys like Chase, Higgins, and of course, Burrow).

If ever there were a time to make a few wheel/deal trades - this would be the PRIME year to do it.
I agree. I would be interested in making a deal with our first rounder for a proven lineman.

One issue that I think is worth considering for roster building is relative age of the defense. At some point, we'll need a few younger guys that start to play big roles, or our D will age out too quickly, leaving us dependent upon free agency again. So, if you don't trade picks, my hope would be to take care of the offensive line with free agency - sign several guys. Use your draft picks to draft promising prospects on D at positions like corner or D-line.