• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the contract the Seahawks gave Fant I'd be surprised if they took Bowers over a OL or DL at pick 16. I'm going to predict the Vikings trade up with the Chargers for pick 5 and take McCarthy.

Perhaps. If Bowers is there at #16, I don't care... you take him. Hell cut Fant at that point (still waiting for the contract details) but Bowers is a once in a generational talent at TE. And he's not a WR type listed at TE... he's a true TE... you want someone like Kittle or Kelce, this is your best shot right now.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps. If Bowers is there at #16, I don't care... you take him. Hell cut Fant at that point (still waiting for the contract details) but Bowers is a once in a generational talent at TE. And he's not a WR type listed at TE... he's a true TE... you want someone like Kittle or Kelce, this is your best shot right now.
1710517703262.png

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean cut him in 2025... Fant/Bowers would be great on this offense in 2024... there'd be no reason to pay Fant $13.5M in 2025. Also, nice to see the cap numbers released for Fant. I think most of us figured a 33/67% split for the total value.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how its not a trade down at 16, bowers would be nice bait.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If JS really likes Bowers, I think we could still take him despite Fant's contract. By the numbers breakdown of Fant's 2 year deal, I think next off-season you either add another year(s) to it or cut him.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news everyone and russell wilson, aaron donald is retiring!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Figures he does it right when Pete retires... no more free sacks and 99+ PFF grades....

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams eat $40M of dead cap for Donald. Wow....

Appealing that is entirely up to the Commissioner's discretion... course it's LA, I'm sure they'll get the full refund while paying off Goodell with a few keys of coke.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... He was like John Elway for me when the Hawks were in the AFC West... Hated him but respected the hell out of his play...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerome Baker 1 year 7M.... well now you just need guards, this draft is perfect for it. Makes me think they are 100% going with a guard now at 16th so you can get a hopefully AP left guard which improves basically the whole line. I still think Seattle will trade down since it's a very deep OG draft and we still have some holes elsewhere (for depth mostly).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerome Baker 1 year 7M.... well now you just need guards, this draft is perfect for it. Makes me think they are 100% going with a guard now at 16th so you can get a hopefully AP left guard which improves basically the whole line. I still think Seattle will trade down since it's a very deep OG draft and we still have some holes elsewhere (for depth mostly).

I think that JS has done a pretty darn good job this offseason. Just about every Hawk fan knew that Bobby was medium well cooked and Brooks is a very up and down player.

But he really does need to get SOME sort of guards in before the draft. We can't rely on a rookie or maybe even 2 at the interior.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Think Baker is another Will LB, still need to find a Mike LB. Have to do that in the draft I guess. I'm no expert on LBs so perhaps I'm off base about who's a will LB and who isn't.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker and Dotson look to have some potential and I like the additions.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Baker is another Will LB, still need to find a Mike LB. Have to do that in the draft I guess.

I still think if an ILB is in the draft they grab it... Cause there is NOBODY behind Baker/Dodson at this point that can fill their shoes if they go down. It looks like Baker has quite a bit of versatility, but I think Seattle will try to move down or find some other guys in the 3rd or 4th... there's just ZERO depth there. Rhattigan? I mean... one of these guys down and that's who we have? Yikes...

While I like Nubin, Seattle has a LOT of DBs and Safeties right now.. so dunno if the plan is to convert a DB to S, who knows.

The one position we literally don't have a starter at though is guard - and left guard of all positions.. that said, the guard class (and general OT class) is VERY deep this draft.. whereas safety/ILB is not... so I'm glad our biggest hole right now is guard.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that JS has done a pretty darn good job this offseason. Just about every Hawk fan knew that Bobby was medium well cooked and Brooks is a very up and down player.

But he really does need to get SOME sort of guards in before the draft. We can't rely on a rookie or maybe even 2 at the interior.
I wonder if they have any cap space to spare for a guard.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they have any cap space to spare for a guard.

From my ROUGH calculation they were around $5M assuming they cut 10 of their lowest paid guys to get to the 53 active roster and before this signing (so now you have to clear another guy), and those are the cheapest contracts. That also includes enough cap for the draft class and keeping almost zero for injury or mid season trades (which you can do). There are plenty of free agents out there that are available but a lot are aging or not that talented, but you might find some vet minimum guys there.

I think honestly some restructuring (Metcalf/Jones?), releasing tenders on Jackson or Rhattigan, or cutting Taylor (if we pickup a 6th round EDGE we like, you only eat $20K there, insignificant) are going to have to happen to make this all work.

I mean if you're drafting for NEEDS you stick to Guard x2, ILB, and probably DT in the first 4 rounds - assuming no trade back. I know we're looking for a stud LG but we may have no choice to trade back in the 1st and then snag a guard with the extra 2nd or late 1st, but then you have another pick to fill in DL/EDGE/ILB, etc.

And then you're just going to have to tell MacDonald he's gonna have to figure out how safety works if we can't make Nubin work (which is really the only safety that fits his scheme). You've got Love, Jenkins, and maybe Witherspoon somehow works the other 3rd box/slot/S role? I dunno. Or Bryant moves over... no idea. There was a couple safeties I think he was still working on as of last week... so if Mac is fine at safety you stick to IOL/DL and ILB... that's it. Hate drafting for need, but you're kind of stuck here unless a miracle prospect falls.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my ROUGH calculation they were around $5M assuming they cut 10 of their lowest paid guys to get to the 53 active roster and before this signing (so now you have to clear another guy), and those are the cheapest contracts. That also includes enough cap for the draft class and keeping almost zero for injury or mid season trades (which you can do). There are plenty of free agents out there that are available but a lot are aging or not that talented, but you might find some vet minimum guys there.

I think honestly some restructuring (Metcalf/Jones?), releasing tenders on Jackson or Rhattigan, or cutting Taylor (if we pickup a 6th round EDGE we like, you only eat $20K there, insignificant) are going to have to happen to make this all work.

I mean if you're drafting for NEEDS you stick to Guard x2, ILB, and probably DT in the first 4 rounds - assuming no trade back. I know we're looking for a stud LG but we may have no choice to trade back in the 1st and then snag a guard with the extra 2nd or late 1st, but then you have another pick to fill in DL/EDGE/ILB, etc.

And then you're just going to have to tell MacDonald he's gonna have to figure out how safety works if we can't make Nubin work (which is really the only safety that fits his scheme). You've got Love, Jenkins, and maybe Witherspoon somehow works the other 3rd box/slot/S role? I dunno. Or Bryant moves over... no idea. There was a couple safeties I think he was still working on as of last week... so if Mac is fine at safety you stick to IOL/DL and ILB... that's it. Hate drafting for need, but you're kind of stuck here unless a miracle prospect falls.
Think only the top 51 contracts count against the cap until September. The Seahawks have 7 picks, 6th and 7th rounders are usually practice squad types but 49ers turned Mr Irrelevant into a starting QB so who knows maybe the Seahawks can uncover a gem late. Sure feels different then last season when the Seahawks had 2 firsts and 2 seconds vs 1 first and 0 second round pick this season. A lot of folks are guessing the Seahawks will trade back, after all it's a JS type of move. Quantity over quality. It is nice to have lots of pick, but IDK if I like the idea of moving down from a spot where a top player can likely be had, back to a spot where your settling for a lesser player who's more of a reach. May not even be possible to make such a trade. How you feel about moving back for say a extra 3rd?
Think JS has done what he could in free agency to fill holes so now it all depends on the draft. I didn't like trading away that second round pick and I didn't like trading down the next pick (first 3rd the Seahawks had) to move down to the 4th and didn't like moving down from the 5th to the 6th. Just seems like JS feels he can kill it in the bottom rounds and I think he may be kidding himself but hey, who knows. I'd love to come out of the draft feeling the Seahawks gained ground on the 49ers and Rams but IDK......

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think only the top 51 contracts count against the cap until September. The Seahawks have 7 picks, 6th and 7th rounders are usually practice squad types but 49ers turned Mr Irrelevant into a starting QB so who knows maybe the Seahawks can uncover a gem late. Sure feels different then last season when the Seahawks had 2 firsts and 2 seconds vs 1 first and 0 second round pick this season. A lot of folks are guessing the Seahawks will trade back, after all it's a JS type of move. Quantity over quality. It is nice to have lots of pick, but IDK if I like the idea of moving down from a spot where a top player can likely be had, back to a spot where your settling for a lesser player who's more of a reach. May not even be possible to make such a trade. How you feel about moving back for say a extra 3rd?
Think JS has done what he could in free agency to fill holes so now it all depends on the draft. I didn't like trading away that second round pick and I didn't like trading down the next pick (first 3rd the Seahawks had) to move down to the 4th and didn't like moving down from the 5th to the 6th. Just seems like JS feels he can kill it in the bottom rounds and I think he may be kidding himself but hey, who knows. I'd love to come out of the draft feeling the Seahawks gained ground on the 49ers and Rams but IDK......

Well.. my thought is you move with like the Bills... move down to the late 1st and then acquire their 2nd... that's probably realistic but how realistic is finding a trade partner willing to do that?

I think if you get elite talent that falls to 16, you just pull the trigger. With possibly 5 QBs going in the top 15, along with 3 WRs (we do have a future need at QB, but not an immediate one, and certainly not one at WR), there's a real chance some elite EDGE, OG/OL, or even Bowers falls to us. If that's the case... well... would we rather have the best Guard prospect or two decent Guard prospects? I think you gotta roll the dice on an elite guard... or do you take the high end EDGE (like Turner) and then cut Taylor (saving $3M)?

I think Seattle put themselves in a decent position for the draft. Howell also helps us a ton whether we don't draft a QB this year or do draft one in which case Geno is gone next year which leaves us swimming in cap - which we'll need given Dodson and Baker are both 1 year deals. We do have a massive hole at left guard which must be addressed, but I think they can still consider some elite moves with their #16 if there's players more elite than a guard there. But Fautanu should be there at #16 and I don't think anyone would be unhappy with that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Fautanu is available at 16 they take him otherwise they trade down. If bowers is still there there then we should have some suitors