• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was just a light hearted type comment about how nutso some people seem to be in here about Ryan Neal. Wasn't some super serious line in the sand I was making or anything.

I was talking about the free agents we lost, not the ones we have signed.
Yeah, don't get the Ryan Neal hype train as much as others... He was a solid player for us but nothing special imo... I think what we've all grown to see here is that when a young DB leaves the Hawks and goes to another team, they definitely take a step back in terms of production...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I looked at it was the fact that we lost a center, too... Same thing could be said that Forsyth was a huge void because we didn't have a center on the roster anymore... Barton leaving left us a void at LB... The way I look at it is it's not a big loss if a guy like Barton us not easily replaceable... But the fact of the matter is, he is/was very easily replaceable on this roster because he shouldn't have warranted a full time starting LB spot on this roster...

Yep, and Bush effectively replaced that and has more upside and at least is a bit better in coverage.

We did lose our starting center, and thank fuckin' God for that. I'd be willing to let @flyerhawk start next year at this point. I mean Blythe was okay in pass protection, but he was THE WORST run blocking center in the last decade of center play. He was the Cody Barton of gap assignment :pound:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and Bush effectively replaced that and has more upside and at least is a bit better in coverage.

We did lose our starting center, and thank fuckin' God for that. I'd be willing to let @flyerhawk start next year at this point. I mean Blythe was okay in pass protection, but he was THE WORST run blocking center in the last decade of center play. He was the Cody Barton of gap assignment :pound:
Haha... Yes, Blythe... Why in the world was I thinking of Forsyth...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha... Yes, Blythe... Why in the world was I thinking of Forsyth...

I had to re-read your comment before I posted and assumed it was a mistake, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I knew we still had Forsythe. I really like Forsythe and Curhan and think they are excellent backup OTs (I would actually argue Seattle has one of the best OT groups in the NFL assuming Cross/Lucas improve). I know we tried to slide Curhan into guard which I think was a mistake but I think Forsythe can very much backup Cross and Curhan can very much backup Lucas. For once our OT position is pretty deep.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, don't get the Ryan Neal hype train as much as others... He was a solid player for us but nothing special imo... I think what we've all grown to see here is that when a young DB leaves the Hawks and goes to another team, they definitely take a step back in terms of production...
Yeah, I think some people are pissed off at Jamal Adams for what it cost to get him, his salary, and then his durability issues (all fair criticisms) and then Ryan Neal -- a dirt cheap no-name -- comes in and plays pretty well, so he's pumped up probably a little too much. I think Neal plays the ball pretty well (better than Adams), but I don't think he's nearly the physical presence that Adams is. I'll probably draw the ire of the Ryan Neal fan club in saying this, but Jamal Adams is a clearly more talented player and a better fit for the defense if he can just stay on the field. If Neal had the talent of Jamal Adams, Neal would still be here and Adams would be gone.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that Neal would get more than 1.2 million.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah he effectively got league minimum.... Seattle's FO did him a little dirty IMO given they put the RFA tag on him and then released it after a lot of teams spent money..

Seattle gets an F GRADE Imo how they handled the whole Neal situation. If Adams gets injured (again) I'm going to be seriously annoyed with this FO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah he effectively got league minimum.... Seattle's FO did him a little dirty IMO given they put the RFA tag on him and then released it after a lot of teams spent money..

Seattle gets an F GRADE Imo how they handled the whole Neal situation. If Adams gets injured (again) I'm going to be seriously annoyed with this FO.

They made a choice to bring in a new backup safety. Can't give them an F grade until we see what he does.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made a choice to bring in a new backup safety. Can't give them an F grade until we see what he does.

Well, IMO Love was brought in to be a nickel corner, so Bryant can go back to his natural outside CB position.... Love can play safety if needed, but IMO that's not what he was brought in for.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, IMO Love was brought in to be a nickel corner, so Bryant can go back to his natural outside CB position.... Love can play safety if needed, but IMO that's not what he was brought in for.

The release of Neal would suggest that Love will be a safety - even if he also spends time as the nickel.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The release of Neal would suggest that Love will be a safety - even if he also spends time as the nickel.

Yah I guess... unless they put Adams at SS again... or move Adams between SS and money linebacker..

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah thankfully the guy they brought in is pretty much a younger replacement that plays at the same level as Neal but is also smaller, this means there is some loss there. Neal was 6 foot 3, a full 4 inches taller and could match up with TE better. Love is 195 pounds and only 5 foot 11.

I also do not believe we ever saw the best of Ryan Neal. Had he been a full time starter I think his numbers would have been closer to a Probowl level. He was named first team all pro by PFF in 2023.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah thankfully the guy they brought in is pretty much a younger replacement that plays at the same level as Neal but is also smaller, this means there is some loss there. Neal was 6 foot 3, a full 4 inches taller and could match up with TE better. Love is 195 pounds and only 5 foot 11.

I also do not believe we ever saw the best of Ryan Neal. Had he been a full time starter I think his numbers would have been closer to a Probowl level. He was named first team all pro by PFF in 2023.
I feel that we have to defer to Pete's knowledge of secondary players here

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that we have to defer to Pete's knowledge of secondary players here
I guess the way I look at it is if Ryan Neal was some truly outstanding player, why was his market basically zero? It doesn't add up.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the way I look at it is if Ryan Neal was some truly outstanding player, why was his market basically zero? It doesn't add up.
too late in the free agency game has to play a big part in it

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too late in the free agency game has to play a big part in it

Maybe but he got a VERY modest deal and no sniffs when he was guaranteed a 3 million dollar salary.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don’t think Jamal can stay healthy, he’s feeling like a bust of a pickup… Not trying it be a negative Nancy, but he’s been a BAD move for us so far for what we gave up… Wouldn’t surprise me if they released him after June 1st to save cap space , although they most likely won’t because if he’s healthy he can be good …