• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season 3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DB coach is Steve Belichick.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently NE is still negotiating with HT and Branch. They also have the same thing in place for Ryan and Harmon, go see what you get and come back to us.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett just sent a good bye letter to Kraft. TE just became a major need. Fortunately, there are several good ones in the draft.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett just sent a good bye letter to Kraft. TE just became a major need. Fortunately, there are several good ones in the draft.

You think that video is real?

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE lining up interviews with TE today. I think they had 3. The one with the kid from Miami is interesting, big dude.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am interested in some of the lesser known TE's in the draft. Like Shaheen, the 6-6, 275 freakishly athletic kid from little Ashland U. right out here in NE Ohio. Low level competition in college but he still has some natural talent and is amazingly fast for his size. Also Mike Roberts from Toledo. Not as athletic as Sheheen but a great blocker. The TE from Miami you mention is Njoku. Great potential but I am concerned that he came out 2 years early. As for the reputed Bennett video, it is weird but not something that I can't envision him doing.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing a few guys leave that really didn't play that often or were coach's choice not to suit up every week doesn't really cause me any concern. Most of them were back ups or 'just in case' players. Those guys are the Mingos, Sheard (missed 7 games) and a couple of others. Chris Long is going to be 32 and he may well come back to NE if he can't get a huge paycheck.

Most of the guys who are leaving like playing on the Patriots but a lot of guys say they hate the workouts and practices. Guys who came from other teams say that workouts and practices on other teams is fun and easy. In NE, it's hard work and no jokes.

Funny isn't it? The no fun team has won 11 straight Divisions, been in the AFCCG the past 6 years in a row and won two Super Bowls in the past three years. How much work is it to lift your hand to show those two SB rings?
Was it worth the extra effort?

Long is leaving to get more playing time - not more money. If he was worth more money, he would have gotten more money. He is exactly what we paid for......

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE lining up interviews with TE today. I think they had 3. The one with the kid from Miami is interesting, big dude.

I hope Adam Shaheen from Ashland is one of them.....

6'6" 277lbs. 4.58 40,

"Plus, if you’re into the whole scholar-athlete thing, Shaheen won his conference’s Commissioner’s Award for both classroom and athletic excellence. Which is cool. But the burrito thing makes him elite."

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Adam Shaheen from Ashland is one of them.....

6'6" 277lbs. 4.58 40,

"Plus, if you’re into the whole scholar-athlete thing, Shaheen won his conference’s Commissioner’s Award for both classroom and athletic excellence. Which is cool. But the burrito thing makes him elite."
Prior to the combine Shaheen was projected as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He had a very impressive showing. Likely gone before BB uses a pick that high? Shaheen is not a great blocker but not the worst in this class.
I like Bucky Rogers from VT even more had the best vert and broad jump. 6'-6" 257. Not the blocker that Shaheen is. Projected 2-3 round. I think he stays in that range. Maybe BB would use a 3rd on him barring he didn't gain another 2nd from trades? Needs a lot of work to become an in-line blocker. More of a Jimmy Graham style. He was a QB in HS and red shirted as a QB before becoming a TE. You know BB will like that.
Possible 7th round or even FA I like is George Kittle from Iowa 6'-4" 247. More a hybrid style.
The entire group of TEs were fast in the 40.
Great draft class for TEs this year.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with Ken on HT. He got his rings and has also watched guys get traded. I don't think he wants to be the next guy to get shipped off. He will want his money and security over the next 5 yrs. I see him heading down south, not sure where.

Bennett wont be back. I can actually see him ending back in NY with the Giants. He said earlier this yr he actually likes NY and had no issues with the Giants. He really only seemed to dislike Chicago. Add him to that offense, I can see it.

Logan Ryan will get over paid, and by a lot. I am confident we will be OK with Rowe and Jones. Could prob bring in a vet to compete...

The one that I want back is Harmon, but I think he gets paid too. Also I think Chung is signed till 2019? I also see some guys on the FA market who could fill in nicely for his role. I have not faith in Richards, and Ebner is what he is.

IMO NE goes heavy on the def this yr, esp at DE and LB.

http://patriotswire.usatoday.com/20...-duron-harmon-to-let-patriots-match-contract-
offers/

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The start of NFL free agency is just a few short days away. Here’s a position-by-position look at some defensive players the New England Patriots could target when the market opens for business Thursday afternoon:

DEFENSIVE END: DATONE JONES
The Patriots recently have been big fans of adding underperforming former first-round draft picks. Jones was selected 26th overall in the 2013 NFL Draft and started just seven games for the Packers in four years.

He’s the type of player who could fit the Patriots because of his versatility to play inside and out on the defensive line. The Patriots should be looking for a defender who can play left defensive end opposite Trey Flowers, who starts on the right side. Rob Ninkovich fills that role for now, but he’s getting up there in age.

Jones shouldn’t cost too much money and still has upside at 26 years old.

The Patriots could show interest in an aging edge rusher like DeMarcus Ware or Paul Kruger if the money is right.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: JARED ODRICK
We’ve been on this one since Odrick was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. He reportedly worked out for the Patriots and passed a physical.

That the Patriots haven’t signed him yet isn’t to say they won’t. Odrick has size, versatility and still is relatively young at 29 years old. There aren’t many players with Odrick’s size and upside that could come at a relatively low cost.

Other potential low-cost fits are Tyson Alualu and Tony McDaniel. The Patriots also should do everything they can to bring back Alan Branch.

LINEBACKER: PAUL WORRILOW
The Patriots reportedly are interested in signing Worrilow, who amassed just 21 tackles in 12 games and one start last season. He was a starter for the first three years of his career and would serve as solid depth on the Patriots.

The Patriots should re-sign Dont’a Hightower. If they can’t, they’ll likely address this need through the draft with Kyle Van Noy, Shea McClellin, Elandon Roberts and Jonathan Freeny already on the roster.

CORNERBACK: D.J. HAYDEN
Hayden is another former first-round pick who the Patriots could hope has yet to play his best football. He’s highly athletic but injury prone and was solid in the slot last season.

If the Patriots lose Logan Ryan in free agency, they should look to build depth at the position to create some competition. Alterraun Verner is another possibility.

SAFETY: WILL HILL
The free-agent safety class isn’t great, and Hill once was a very good player before suspensions derailed his career. There finally are no suspensions looming over the former Ravens safety (for now), and it would be worth seeing if the big defensive back could turn around his career in New England.

Hill once was one of the best defenders in the NFL at covering tight ends.

If the Patriots can’t re-sign Duron Harmon, their best bet might be to draft his replacement, otherwise they’ll be overpaying a free agent or signing a player like Chris Conte.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The start of NFL free agency is just a few short days away. Here’s a position-by-position look at some defensive players the New England Patriots could target when the market opens for business Thursday afternoon:

DEFENSIVE END: DATONE JONES
The Patriots recently have been big fans of adding underperforming former first-round draft picks. Jones was selected 26th overall in the 2013 NFL Draft and started just seven games for the Packers in four years.

He’s the type of player who could fit the Patriots because of his versatility to play inside and out on the defensive line. The Patriots should be looking for a defender who can play left defensive end opposite Trey Flowers, who starts on the right side. Rob Ninkovich fills that role for now, but he’s getting up there in age.

Jones shouldn’t cost too much money and still has upside at 26 years old.

The Patriots could show interest in an aging edge rusher like DeMarcus Ware or Paul Kruger if the money is right.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: JARED ODRICK
We’ve been on this one since Odrick was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. He reportedly worked out for the Patriots and passed a physical.

That the Patriots haven’t signed him yet isn’t to say they won’t. Odrick has size, versatility and still is relatively young at 29 years old. There aren’t many players with Odrick’s size and upside that could come at a relatively low cost.

Other potential low-cost fits are Tyson Alualu and Tony McDaniel. The Patriots also should do everything they can to bring back Alan Branch.

LINEBACKER: PAUL WORRILOW
The Patriots reportedly are interested in signing Worrilow, who amassed just 21 tackles in 12 games and one start last season. He was a starter for the first three years of his career and would serve as solid depth on the Patriots.

The Patriots should re-sign Dont’a Hightower. If they can’t, they’ll likely address this need through the draft with Kyle Van Noy, Shea McClellin, Elandon Roberts and Jonathan Freeny already on the roster.

CORNERBACK: D.J. HAYDEN
Hayden is another former first-round pick who the Patriots could hope has yet to play his best football. He’s highly athletic but injury prone and was solid in the slot last season.

If the Patriots lose Logan Ryan in free agency, they should look to build depth at the position to create some competition. Alterraun Verner is another possibility.

SAFETY: WILL HILL
The free-agent safety class isn’t great, and Hill once was a very good player before suspensions derailed his career. There finally are no suspensions looming over the former Ravens safety (for now), and it would be worth seeing if the big defensive back could turn around his career in New England.

Hill once was one of the best defenders in the NFL at covering tight ends.

If the Patriots can’t re-sign Duron Harmon, their best bet might be to draft his replacement, otherwise they’ll be overpaying a free agent or signing a player like Chris Conte.
I'd be happy with any of these signings. Listed in order of preference: Odrick, Worrilow, Hayden, Jones and Hill.
Having said that I'd first like to see Bennett, HT, Blount, Branch and Dola back. But that's not happening. Lucky if 2 of them are back?

NE has so many options this year. I could see BB trading away early picks for future picks. NE is solid as they sit. No real emergencies they have guys like Lengel and Williams that could fill in for Bennett. Enough WRs with Lucien waiting in the wings. So a few FAs to fill some holes and add depth, (shit every player seems to want to come to NE) a few kep pieces from the draft and NE will be looking good. As the haters say the rich getting richer.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...the rumors will fly tomorrow at the legal tampering period begins. Not sure why they just can't start FA now. My final predictions for those who are back: Harmon.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that the Bills are trying to protect their restricted free agents by placing tenders on them so they can match any offer. The problem is that once some other team shows them a little love, they don't have to accepot the Bills matching offer and can sit out. Players have done so in the past. If you remember back a few years ago, Logan Mankins was put in the position, refused the Patriots match and sat out 7 games. Any team signing Gillislee has to give up a fifth round pick and they give up nothing for Groy.

Both would be great, inexpensive addidtions to the Patriots roster.

This was written by Chris Brown of Bills Inside yesterday 3/7/2017.

The Bills have begun the process of retaining the rights to some of their restricted free agents. Buffalo tendered qualifying offers to RB Mike Gillislee and OL Ryan Groy.

By tendering Gillislee and Groy the Bills maintain the right of first refusal for both players. So if another NFL club was to sign Gillislee or Groy to an offer sheet, Buffalo would have the right to match the offer.

Gillislee and Groy were both tendered at the low level. That means if the Bills chose not to match any offer sheet signed by Gillislee they would be compensated with a fifth-round pick, the round in which Gillislee was drafted. Groy would carry no compensation as he was an undrafted rookie signing when he entered the league.

Gillislee served as the team’s primary backup to feature back LeSean McCoy and eclipsed the 500-yard mark for the second straight season in 2016. He finished third on the team in scoring with nine touchdowns (eight rushing).

Groy played an important role in the second half of the season. One of the primary backup linemen on the roster, Groy started the last seven games at center after Eric Wood was lost to a season-ending leg injury. The third-year lineman performed admirably and made all the checks and calls for the offensive line.

DL IK Enemkpali and P Colton Schmidt are also restricted free agents. Buffalobills.com has learned that both players will not be tendered qualifying offers thereby making them unrestricted free agents effective Thursday at 4 pm.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to WBZ and the guy was talking about the Patriots and trying to re-sign Malcolm Butler.

He said this emphatically............"Prior to the 2016 NFL Football season, the New England Patriots offered Malcolm Butler a contract extension to satisfy he want for a new and much better paying contract." "Butler outright refused the contract offer and told the Patriots he didn't want an extension."

I never heard anything about this before today. This guy said that Butler may not have understood the position that he was in at the time or the position he'd be in today. Either way, he played for $600K in 2016, Did not want to discuss a contract extension that may well have paid him $5M+ for several years. Now he's stuck where he is as a pawn in a trade or having to sign the tender by June 16. He can choose not to attend OTAs and he can sit out the season if he so chooses. Problem is that he never even discussed an extension or let the Patriots know what he was looking for. It appears that Malcolm just might not want play in New England and was hoping some other team would make him an offer that would knock his socks off.

Here he sits, no offers in hand, has a $3.9M tender and has to decide whether or not he will play or not.

Another problem.....what if decided to play for the tender and gets a knee blown out? What then? Think someone will offer him $13M a year to test out the knee??

The more I hear, the more I'm thinking that getting rid of him may not be such a bad idea.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest report from Jason LaCanfora..........Jets have jumped into the Hightower bidding. No one knows what the offer is, but the Jets have a history of going hard after Patriots' players and winning. Other than Curtis Martin, the thefts have resulted in huge amounts of wasted money.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case you're wondering......All of the signings the Patriots have done so far has resulted in a cap hit of..............$17.1M for 2017. That's official. They still have $48.9M to spend. Something has to be going on that we're not seeing or that no one has figured out. Even if he resigned HT and MB for a total of $25M, there would still be $24M in the bag. Who's due to be extended or a FA next year that could be signed this year?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case you're wondering......All of the signings the Patriots have done so far has resulted in a cap hit of..............$17.1M for 2017. That's official. They still have $48.9M to spend. Something has to be going on that we're not seeing or that no one has figured out. Even if he resigned HT and MB for a total of $25M, there would still be $24M in the bag. Who's due to be extended or a FA next year that could be signed this year?

Jimmy?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting that things are quiet today because Donte Hightower is celebrating his 27th birthday today. The
New York Jets are not letting him have a family type day. Word is that the Jets have now decided that they will do whatever it takes to yank HT from the New England Patriots.

Some questions that HT has to answer to himself, not Patriot or Jets fans. Will playing for the Jets for a huge paycheck be satisfying to a football player who has never been part of a losing organization? Would playing for a loser be eased by a big payday? Would making big money be ok if you were watching your former team in the playoffs and possibly playing in a second Super Bowl a row and possibly winning a second Super Bowl in a row?

Everyone talks about a legacy. What kind of legacy would HT have if he finished his career in obscurity in New Jersey? Everyone wants to make as money as they possibly can. But when that amount is $50-$60-$70M, does a couple million really make that much of a difference when you're playing for a 14-2 team vs a 6-10 team?

It's easy to answer when you're not the one giving up $3-$4M.........twice what you've earned in your lifetime.