• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season 3

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this next installment of off season moves I'd like to see who you'd like to see NE acquire in FA.

For this we'll have to make some assumptions.

1. NE has $65m in cap space. For argument sake let's say the use $35 of that to sign a couple of their own FAs.
2. So you have $30m to spend. Since we already signed NE FAs this money needs to be used on players from other teams.
3. Feel free to use NE resigned players as justification. For example HT was re-signed so no need to get MLB.
4. Discuss the contract you think it would take to get that player signed.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My # 1 priority is to get faster and more pass rush from either DE or OLB.
Melvin Ingram from the Chargers. A 4-5 year deal between $40-45m. It can be worked with bonuses and such to take a $13-17m cap hit.
1a. Calais Campbell. At age 30 still a force. Likely too expensive. If NE could work out a 4 year deal with 5th year team option I'd entertain that.

2. TJ McDonald Charger safety. 26 years old, covers a lot of ground and is strong. I don't know what TJ will command? $10m per year? Does that get it do e?
2a. Dre Kirkpatrick Cincy DB. 6'-2" cover guy. Likely $14 per for 4 or 5 years.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Odrick was released by the Jags today. Saved them $8.1M against the cap. Guy is 29 years old, a good DT and just might be a cheap quality addition. He's had a couple of injuries the past two years and just might want to prove he's not washed up. 1 year....$3M???

Think Brandon Marshall might want a shot at a ring?? He and the Jets front office have not been playing well and cutting him would save the Jets $8.25M. Think he might want to catch TB's passes instead of watching other guys do it?? 1 year $4M??

I like Dre Kirkpatrick. He might fit in well especially if the Pats lose both Ryan and Butler. If he's looking for a giant payday, it will never be offered by the Patriots. If he's willing to take a bit less for a chance at a ring, then I'm sure BB will certainly give him a call.

Cap hits are going to start happening pretty soon and some of those guys might be more than willing to take less money to be sure they have a job whether it be with NE, DEN or SEA. Having a job is critical, getting it with a good team is a bonus.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Odrick was released by the Jags today. Saved them $8.1M against the cap. Guy is 29 years old, a good DT and just might be a cheap quality addition. He's had a couple of injuries the past two years and just might want to prove he's not washed up. 1 year....$3M???

Think Brandon Marshall might want a shot at a ring?? He and the Jets front office have not been playing well and cutting him would save the Jets $8.25M. Think he might want to catch TB's passes instead of watching other guys do it?? 1 year $4M??

I like Dre Kirkpatrick. He might fit in well especially if the Pats lose both Ryan and Butler. If he's looking for a giant payday, it will never be offered by the Patriots. If he's willing to take a bit less for a chance at a ring, then I'm sure BB will certainly give him a call.

Cap hits are going to start happening pretty soon and some of those guys might be more than willing to take less money to be sure they have a job whether it be with NE, DEN or SEA. Having a job is critical, getting it with a good team is a bonus.
I'm with you except for Marshall. I'd rather take a shot on LIoyd. I don't see both of them? Granted Marshall has shown more talent. But NE already have Hogan and Mitchell. Plus Lucien. Hopefully Dola is back?
I'd rather see some D help and or an Olinemen b4 Marshall.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man..LOL. This is hard right now. Who knows where we will be come a month. I have not even looked at the FA yet. I think if they can keep their core guys, then we should be looking for depth in the draft. Right now for me is to resign: HT, Harmon,Branch, Long. Extend Butler, restructure Dola and sign Floyd. Tag Bennett.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, I think HT is gone. He has two rings and would like a huge payday. Teams like the Jets are foolish enough to pay him $16-$18M per and guarantee half of it. 5 years $90M would be something I'd expect to see the Jets do.

Branch is restricted but it's the tender offer he gets. I expect that BB will make him a somewhat lowball offer and see what other teams are will to do. Then come back with an offer closer but not the same as other teams. He's another one who has two rings and will be looking to get a big bounce in his paycheck.

Harmon might be a bit easier to resign but again, he's got two rings and would like a little more money.

Long got his ring and he might be willing to play an extended career in NE. Here, he doesn't have to play every down and play 40-50% of the defensive snaps can be very appealing when you're in your 30's.

Branch has stated he wants to stay. He'll get a fair offer and will most likely take it.

Amendola has to take a pay cut. As critical as he was in the playoffs, I just can't see Bill paying him $8M, then again, he just might let it go.

Floyd is most likely not going to get many, if any offers. He's doing 24 in jail and another 100 house arrest. He had several drops against the Steelers, one led to an INT. I think BB will offer him the veteran max and he'll take it.

There are going to be a lot of FA out there and there are teams with big money available. The 49ers have something like $80M to spend.....can they do it reasonably or will they screw it up? The Patriots have $61.52M to spend. I certainly can't see BB spending like a drunken sailor regardless of what his FA do.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just catching up on free agents and where the speculation is that some may be going......

Donte Hightower Possible landing spot is the Kansas City Chiefs. They don't have a lot of free cash but Hightower is exactly what this team needs to Captain the defense.

Logan Ryan Ozzie Newsome plans to be busy this season. Dean Pees like physical players and Logan Ryan led the Patriots in tackles and had an outstanding post season. Ozzie doesn't care that Ryan wants to paid large. The Baltimore Ravens need a physical CB.

Martellus Bennett Even though they don't have a TB at QB, the Houston Texans need to get some players on the offense and even if the Ozman is doing the throwing, Bennett maybe what he needs as a safety valve.

Haven't seen anything on anyone else.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with Ken on HT. He got his rings and has also watched guys get traded. I don't think he wants to be the next guy to get shipped off. He will want his money and security over the next 5 yrs. I see him heading down south, not sure where.

Bennett wont be back. I can actually see him ending back in NY with the Giants. He said earlier this yr he actually likes NY and had no issues with the Giants. He really only seemed to dislike Chicago. Add him to that offense, I can see it.

Logan Ryan will get over paid, and by a lot. I am confident we will be OK with Rowe and Jones. Could prob bring in a vet to compete...

The one that I want back is Harmon, but I think he gets paid too. Also I think Chung is signed till 2019? I also see some guys on the FA market who could fill in nicely for his role. I have not faith in Richards, and Ebner is what he is.

IMO NE goes heavy on the def this yr, esp at DE and LB.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HT will get the offers - and they will be large. He is our Captain.....
Bennett will get offers and he is posturing for payday.
Harmon gets a raise but he will stay
Ryan gets a raise but will he ignore the offers from a team desperate for physical corners
Branch was dumped by Buffalo and backed up by NE - he will be slow to jump ship.
Amendola mus take a paycut and I don't think he gets big money.....
Floyd only gets 1 year "prove it" from anybody. If I'm his agent, I tell him to take the money - he might not last...
Butler is the heart of the Patriots - make him a millionaire but don't get greedy. I want to watch the movie!!!!!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots announced today officially that they will not tag Donte Hightower. He will become a free agent Wednesday at 4:00 PM.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Free agency doesn't officially begin until March 9, but the New England Patriots got a head start by recently hosting defensive lineman Jared Odrick for a visit.

The visit, first reported by Mike Kaye of First Coast News, came after Odrick was released by Jacksonville on Feb. 20. By releasing him, the Jaguars saved $8.5 million in salary-cap space.

The 6-foot-5, 298-pound Odrick entered the NFL as a first-round draft choice by Miami in 2010. Having played for Miami (2010-2014) and Jacksonville (2015-2016), he is a versatile, powerful lineman who fits the versatile profile of what the Patriots generally look for. Coming out of Penn State in 2010, teams that played a 3-4 projected him to their end position, while 4-3 defenses viewed him as more of a tackle.

In a 2013 game against the Patriots, he recorded two sacks while working against left guard Logan Mankins, one of New England's top linemen.

Odrick played in just six games last season and ultimately was placed on season-ending injured reserve because of his shoulder. Odrick, who didn't miss a game from 2011-2015, also had ankle, quad and triceps injuries last year.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Free agency doesn't officially begin until March 9, but the New England Patriots got a head start by recently hosting defensive lineman Jared Odrick for a visit.

The visit, first reported by Mike Kaye of First Coast News, came after Odrick was released by Jacksonville on Feb. 20. By releasing him, the Jaguars saved $8.5 million in salary-cap space.

The 6-foot-5, 298-pound Odrick entered the NFL as a first-round draft choice by Miami in 2010. Having played for Miami (2010-2014) and Jacksonville (2015-2016), he is a versatile, powerful lineman who fits the versatile profile of what the Patriots generally look for. Coming out of Penn State in 2010, teams that played a 3-4 projected him to their end position, while 4-3 defenses viewed him as more of a tackle.

In a 2013 game against the Patriots, he recorded two sacks while working against left guard Logan Mankins, one of New England's top linemen.

Odrick played in just six games last season and ultimately was placed on season-ending injured reserve because of his shoulder. Odrick, who didn't miss a game from 2011-2015, also had ankle, quad and triceps injuries last year.
This is very intriguing to me. I wonder what kind of $ his agent is looking for? Does anyone know if he's a good team guy?

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, little bummed that Long won't be back. I really enjoyed watching him play, a high motor guy. Can't blame him for leaving and getting that last check.

Now if they sign Odrick to replace Long, I will be cool with that as I don't think production will drop, might be a little better. Maybe Odrick fits better with this team.

Just have a weird feeling that this defense is going to be entirely diff this yr. IMO, HT, Harmon, Ryan, J.Sher, Mingo won't be back. I also have a bad feeling that Butler will leave also, heard a rumor he is not happy about his pay. I keep hearing that Mia is willing to pay, and out pay NE for him. Sucks to lose, but we get a 1st rd pick out of it....I know it's early and anything can happen, but.....As it stands, Rowe and Cy Jones are your starting CB.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha - Mingo won't be back.... That will cetainly change things!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is that BB didn't franchise him because he wanted him to see what he could get in free agency and HT agreed to come back to BB with his highest offer before signing anywhere else to give BB a chance to match.

Butler is restricted and the Pats can match any offer or get a first round pick.

This draft is rich in CB and most of them are taller than Butler. No question that all of them are unproven but BB hasn't missed with too many secondary choice over the past few years.

Seeing a few guys leave that really didn't play that often or were coach's choice not to suit up every week doesn't really cause me any concern. Most of them were back ups or 'just in case' players. Those guys are the Mingos, Sheard (missed 7 games) and a couple of others. Chris Long is going to be 32 and he may well come back to NE if he can't get a huge paycheck.

Most of the guys who are leaving like playing on the Patriots but a lot of guys say they hate the workouts and practices. Guys who came from other teams say that workouts and practices on other teams is fun and easy. In NE, it's hard work and no jokes.

Funny isn't it? The no fun team has won 11 straight Divisions, been in the AFCCG the past 6 years in a row and won two Super Bowls in the past three years. How much work is it to lift your hand to show those two SB rings?
Was it worth the extra effort?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is that BB didn't franchise him because he wanted him to see what he could get in free agency and HT agreed to come back to BB with his highest offer before signing anywhere else to give BB a chance to match.

Butler is restricted and the Pats can match any offer or get a first round pick.

This draft is rich in CB and most of them are taller than Butler. No question that all of them are unproven but BB hasn't missed with too many secondary choice over the past few years.

Seeing a few guys leave that really didn't play that often or were coach's choice not to suit up every week doesn't really cause me any concern. Most of them were back ups or 'just in case' players. Those guys are the Mingos, Sheard (missed 7 games) and a couple of others. Chris Long is going to be 32 and he may well come back to NE if he can't get a huge paycheck.

Most of the guys who are leaving like playing on the Patriots but a lot of guys say they hate the workouts and practices. Guys who came from other teams say that workouts and practices on other teams is fun and easy. In NE, it's hard work and no jokes.

Funny isn't it? The no fun team has won 11 straight Divisions, been in the AFCCG the past 6 years in a row and won two Super Bowls in the past three years. How much work is it to lift your hand to show those two SB rings?

BB did have a string of swing and miss though on DB's.
Darius Butler, Alfonso Dennard, Ras-I Dowling, Tavon Wilson, Terrance Wheatley. Not sure at this point who the DB coach was, if that coaching position was upgraded or if a DB scout was upgraded, but something has improved.

90 offensive plays...and the Falcons defense was gassed. That hard work pays off.
You want it, you work for it.
That's why I like Cyrus Jones. He feels accountable for his mistakes and wants to work harder.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB did have a string of swing and miss though on DB's.
Darius Butler, Alfonso Dennard, Ras-I Dowling, Tavon Wilson, Terrance Wheatley. Not sure at this point who the DB coach was, if that coaching position was upgraded or if a DB scout was upgraded, but something has improved.

Not arguing with you but My opinion is that the guys he drafts most often don't work out.

Butler is still with the Colts. Dowling played with the Bengals after leaving the Pats. Wilson played with a couple team after leaving and Wheatley was near the end of his career and played with the Jets after the Pats. The big problem is that BB drafts these guys and "THEY" can't do what's expected or needed in the Patriots defensive system. So BB looks bad because the guys that he drafts either can't understand the system or they can't hack the work it takes to play up to expectations. Look at some of the WR he brought in like Ochocinco.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of all those role players the only one I'd like to see stay is Long. Great locker room guy and vet presence. He says it's not about $ more his role. He thinks he's in his 20s again where he can play more snaps in a scheme that he complements. Sorry Chris you're the wrong side of 30. Playing for NE was the best thing that could've happened for you. You got the ring and save wear and tear on your body. I wish him well. He had nothing but good things to say about the organization. I think if he goes somewhere he retires after next season.
Got to sign Butler. Let Ryan walk.
HT and Bennett likely not coming back. They can both be replaced.
So much depends on what happens with Jimmy G and what BB does with those picks and the entire draft.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not arguing with you but My opinion is that the guys he drafts most often don't work out.

Butler is still with the Colts. Dowling played with the Bengals after leaving the Pats. Wilson played with a couple team after leaving and Wheatley was near the end of his career and played with the Jets after the Pats. The big problem is that BB drafts these guys and "THEY" can't do what's expected or needed in the Patriots defensive system. So BB looks bad because the guys that he drafts either can't understand the system or they can't hack the work it takes to play up to expectations. Look at some of the WR he brought in like Ochocinco.

Copy that, that's why I directed towards DB coach or scouting.
DB's drafted more recently have had much better success, so the drafting got better, the scouting got better, or luck got better.