• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not ready to move on from Griffin.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are supposed to dump our franchise QB, the guy that carried my team to a division title a couple of years ago because the rookie coach, who is 3-10 by the way, says so? The same guy who can't do what I am sure he campaigned he could do to get him the job in the first place, which was coach RG3.

Now RG3 has to check himself too. He sucks at running the offense he wants to run and is great at the offense he refuses to run. I just don't see the logic in not bringing him back, just like I don't see the logic in not playing him over these next three meaningless games. Either it's gotten personal with him and Gruden or Gruden is seriously concerned about his coaching reputation and job security and is trying to win a few games to make him look better for his next employer. What a mess.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK... until further notice, I am placing a moratorium on the practice of referring to Griffin as a franchise QB in any way shape or form. And what got Gruden the job was the fact that we fired the last coach in an attempt to placate the QB.

But how much more time and how many more resources do you really think we should throw at a QB who apparently refuses coaching, and struggles with QB101 type stuff??

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see the logic in cutting him this offseason. What does that solve? Unless Gruden wants to rid himself the pressure of having to play him. Same with Cousins. Why would I trade a quality qb like Cousins for peanuts when he is only costing me 700K. We need patience from all parties involved. Trent Green, Rich Gannon, Plunkett. Tons of guys who had bad stretches. We had a guy in Theisman who was returning punts for us. Gibbs felt he was more concerned with HIS brand and was ready to move on. A league MVP, and two trips to the Super Bowl followed that line of thinking. Griffin has had 5 games in this offense. Griffin has been bad. No RG Homer here. But 5 games?

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
give him to the eagles so chip could turn him into a pro bowler again.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something is not right the point Snyder brought him here was to develop RG3 and Cousins well he has done a terrible job of it and wants to keep starting a QB who has no future here and is no better then those two

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if you can put up with the circus with Rg3 anymore and hope that with 2 more years you can get him to be an NFL starter

and geez country when do we hold the players accountable ?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is good reason why it seems that Gruden is ready to move on from RG. Hey, I was a huge fan of Griffin... I thought the football gods had finally had mercy on us and answered our prayers after season 1... I was wrong.

There is a reason why Steve Young had said that people that he knew and trusted said that Griffin was NOT a student of the game. That he did not put in the work. There is a reason why Gruden was pissed at RG for totally stinking it up in the opportunities he has had this year. Like Shark said, these were football101 games. Maybe if he had focused more on studying his drops and routes during his freakin 6 or so games off he might not have been benched and consequently might not be sulking and pouting like a little kid who got his fucking hand smacked. To me the way he has handled all the adversity is more damning than his ineffectiveness on the field. Put those two together = red flag!

I have been a very big proponent if RG over the last few years... All thru last year. But I am personally ready to move on and cut our losses. I have very large reservations on whether he can mentally be a good QB and especially psychologically ever be a real leader.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is good reason why it seems that Gruden is ready to move on from RG. Hey, I was a huge fan of Griffin... I thought the football gods had finally had mercy on us and answered our prayers after season 1... I was wrong.

There is a reason why Steve Young had said that people that he knew and trusted said that Griffin was NOT a student of the game. That he did not put in the work. There is a reason why Gruden was pissed at RG for totally stinking it up in the opportunities he has had this year. Like Shark said, these were football101 games. Maybe if he had focused more on studying his drops and routes during his freakin 6 or so games off he might not have been benched and consequently might not be sulking and pouting like a little kid who got his fucking hand smacked. To me the way he has handled all the adversity is more damning than his ineffectiveness on the field. Put those two together = red flag!

I have been a very big proponent if RG over the last few years... All thru last year. But I am personally ready to move on and cut our losses. I have very large reservations on whether he can mentally be a good QB and especially psychologically ever be a real leader.

that is what got me too. same old stuff every week just like last season

i expected him to get it and he didnt . and the coach is right about him to

time to move on

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fact is if they don't do a massive overhaul on the worst o-line in the NFL no QB will survive here and the running game has went down hill because of it as well

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Griffin has handled this situation pretty well. Better than I thought he would to be honest. Haven't heard him say one negative thing, directly or indirectly about Gruden. Griffin's bigger issue is when he IS playing. He regularly throws teammates under the bus. That's the issue I have with him. It probably cost him the locker room, which in turn provided Gruden with the ammo to bench him and keep him benched. Snyder has GOT to hire a proven football mind, and let that be his only job. No coach/gm.(Shanahan) No team president/gm.(Allen) No more lapdogs that allow Snyder to be the GM.(Cerrato) No more over achieving ex film boys. (Casserly) It's the one thing he hasn't done.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would throw the o-line under the bus as well they are horrible and Colt McCoy has called them out as well

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I don't feel one ounce of sorrow or regret over Mike Shanahan. He didn't win ish the entire time he was here, save for Griffin going nuts on the entire league for a couple of months. All Shanahan did was quit on the team and watch his players rally to win a division. Kyle was calling the plays. I mean really. Shanahan?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many others have said, give him the opportunity to win (not handed) the starting job next year and show he will do what it takes in the film room, practice field, etc. to get this franchise moving in the right direction wrt that position.

And oh yeah... throw in a passer rating in the top half of the league, NO significant injuries and ZERO bullshit drama in the locker room, with the coaches or media.

Not asking much am I?? If he could do all of those things then you can consider signing him long term.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that's not asking too much, but give him a fair shake to accomplish those things.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that's not asking too much, but give him a fair shake to accomplish those things.

Do you believe he hasn't gotten a fair shake so far?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't feel he has, and part of that is on Griffin. Shanahan was terrible his last few years in Denver, terrible. He was terrible his first two years here. Then RG3 explodes, takes us to the playoffs and blows out his knee. The next year Griffin decides he doesn't want to run the read option anymore. That's where Griffin is at fault. Either him or someone around him convinced him that he was a pocket passer, when he clearly is not.

So Shanny,in an effort to save his reputation for another job, benches Griffin to prove that it was all his fault. Result 0-3. I'd bet my last dollar Gruden got this job by convincing Dan he could fix Robert. Season starts, Skins are losing, and Griffin does struggle. Mind you, when he is struggling in Minnesota, Tampa, and SF, those are start 2, 3, 4, and 5 in Jay's offense.

So after 5 games not only does Jay bench him but word circulates that he wants no part of Robert moving forward. This wreaked of a rookie coach feeling the heat of a terrible season and looking for a scapegoat. You give up 3 1st and a #2 and decide you want to cut or trade the guy because he can't pick up your offense in 5 games while coming back from a dislocated ankle.

When I say I am not ready to move on, I meant I don't think he should be cut or traded. I'm not saying if Kirk or somebody clearly out plays him in preseason 15 that we should go with Robert anyway. I do feel if it's close we should. I think his ceiling is higher than Kirk, Colt or any 4th round QB we might bring in. Just my 2 cents.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after 25 years of losing you'd think Redskins fans would have developed some patience

but no ...

it has nothing to do with lack of depth or talent ... the DC is an idiot

alfred morris set the franchise rookie rushing record & is ranked 6th all time.... but RB are a dime a dozen & what has he done for me lately ? cut the bum

yyIqFja.png

and I'll take some blame for this also ...

I thought Jay made some bad decision this year & was ready to throw him of Dans private jet ...

but the NFL, like life, is a learning experience.

IMO, Jay didnt want to dumb down his playbook for Robert because of his reputation as offensive guru & made some very questionable calls ... such as running a designed draw on 3 & 8 ... or throwing on 3 & 2 ... i'm not even going to mention the fake punt.

But, taking into consideration the pieces he has to work worth (a developing QB behind an inept OL) Jay has to be more willing to adapt the his players skill set.

Kyle showed us what is possible if you scheme around players strengths.

However, dont think i'm do not willing to hold Griffin accountable also. Like Mercrutio said ... a curse on both them fools. His resistance to running the option led to Kyle's departure ... that is still an open wound for me because I really respected Kyle.

Not to say i support running the option ... but he has to adapt his offense to the talent he is working with until the time comes when the talent on the field is on par with the plays being called.

We all know Griffin will never be the same player physically he was in 2012 ... but he proved that year he can be successful. But he also proved that year to be a diva when reports came out he didnt want to run the option.

Is he too scared to stand in the pocket ? Is he willing to stand in there to view the field ? Or have we ruined another QB because he has gotten smashed in the mouth too much ?

I think Griffin has finally realized how fickle the NFL is ... and is willing to do whatever it takes to remain starter.

It is going to take alot of hard work & patience for Griffin to adapt to Jay system ... but I do not doubt his ability to learn the pro system. I do not doubt his physical toughness to stand in the pocket.

I guess if i doubted Griffin it would be his emotion ...

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post Krush. Agree with most every part except the criticism of passing on 3rd and 2. That's the norm, running on 3rd and 2 is not and that's for a reason.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this quote from GMSM interesting:

McCloughan made reference to Brett Favre’s struggles in adapting to Mike Holmgren’s offense in Green Bay, which he said took two years. Griffin, he added, seems “mentally ahead” of where Favre was in his grasp of the offense’s concepts.

Redskins? hire of Scot McCloughan may signal change in organizational approach - The Washington Post

I still say learning the offense, reading defenses, throwing on time etc can be learned. My biggest concern is his lack of pocket presence. Whenever he is under pressure his default it to always bail out the right and try to beat the defender to the edge when the correct move is to simply step up and deliver the ball. I have serious doubts that this can be learned