• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

North Carolina courts uphold ACC's $52M lawsuit against Maryland

InfantryGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does this affect Louisville joining the ACC next year?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've asked to get an exception to have a CCG. Don't think they will get it. Then they have to expand or let that money go by. I think they will try to expand. No official sources ... just a lot of discussion on this and other boards.

Rumors! University of Cincinnati Coaches Talking Big 12 - Down The Drive

Big XII Mulls Expansion ? Decides to Wait | SPORTS MANCAVE

Save for the SEC, from the looks of some of the other CCG's Im not sold that there is THAT much money to be made.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've asked to get an exception to have a CCG. Don't think they will get it. Then they have to expand or let that money go by. I think they will try to expand. No official sources ... just a lot of discussion on this and other boards.

Rumors! University of Cincinnati Coaches Talking Big 12 - Down The Drive

Big XII Mulls Expansion ? Decides to Wait | SPORTS MANCAVE

Interesting.....but none of that discussion is being had in B12 circles and ADs.....

The schools we consistently hear are none of these. The reason most of the ADs have voted against a CCG is because at 10 teams the money is split higher per school. They are reluctant to dilute the money pool, and if they are waiting more likely for what happens in this Maryland case. I know for a FACT there is interest from FSU......they feel the ACC is a basketball conference and they are losing money in conference. I'm not saying they will leave - but if they have a chance to get out of the GORs and that buyout, they will shop around for a better conference, I'm pretty sure about that.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.....but none of that discussion is being had in B12 circles and ADs.....

The schools we consistently hear are none of these. The reason most of the ADs have voted against a CCG is because at 10 teams the money is split higher per school. They are reluctant to dilute the money pool, and if they are waiting more likely for what happens in this Maryland case. I know for a FACT there is interest from FSU......they feel the ACC is a basketball conference and they are losing money in conference. I'm not saying they will leave - but if they have a chance to get out of the GORs and that buyout, they will shop around for a better conference, I'm pretty sure about that.
FSU and Clemson half their opportunity and decided to sign the ACC agreement. Jimbo wants the Big 12 but the powers that be have dig their heels in. It would take major instability or insane money to change anything.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU and Clemson half their opportunity and decided to sign the ACC agreement. Jimbo wants the Big 12 but the powers that be have dig their heels in. It would take major instability or insane money to change anything.

I'm not saying it would ever happen.....just that I personally know there was interest. FSU doesn't want to be the bad guy, but they don't want to be in the ACC either

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it would ever happen.....just that I personally know there was interest. FSU doesn't want to be the bad guy, but they don't want to be in the ACC either

Were you in the war room on the phone with them, big guy? :lol:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the original exit fee got a 10-2 vote, most assumed it was Maryland and FSU declining. There WAS interest. I am not sure there IS any interest now.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the original exit fee got a 10-2 vote, most assumed it was Maryland and FSU declining. There WAS interest. I am not sure there IS any interest now.
This seems the most likely to me. FSU signing the GOR pretty much closed down the "we want to go to another conference" rumors.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First sentence of the article:
The Big XII’s membership committee recently met to discuss expansion but decided to table further discussion until the exact playoff selection formula is known.
The only logical conclusion is that they are thinking about it, but are waiting to see what happens with the new playoff format. Which makes sense. Will they do something that dilutes their financial interests? Of course not ... they are smart people. But, if adding two more teams to get a CG game makes them money, you can be sure they will do it. I have no idea if that can happen or not, but to say categorically that they aren't considering expansion, when this article - assuming it to be correct - says just the opposite.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line with the ACC and Big 12 (supposively but there does seem to be loopholes in the agreement) locked down to long term non-exit deals I think we are done for a while. You might see the Big 12 try to expand further once their TV deal comes up but honestly it is a very shallow pool for qualified candidates.

In all honesty the best thing for college football would be to go to 4 super conferences of 16 teams (however that fell out) and then do a 4 team playoff based on the conference champions. The conference championship games would become a defacto first round in an 8 team playoff of 64 eligible teams.

For basketball you just take all 64 teams and hold your own tournament which at first would suck but we would all get used to it pretty soon. And for those that say don't ruin basketball don't forget how much money the NCAA makes off of that tournament and that is money we ALL could be putting in our pockets instead.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it's temporary, I think a period of time with no conference alignment news will be a good thing.

Ultimately 4 super conferences would have been the way to go for the playoff starting next year. However, getting to a point of stability will be a good thing, AD's and commissioners can step back and not make simply reactionary moves, but calculate moves out a little more thoroughly and have some more data to go from.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you homeslice?

Nope. Not claiming I know anything for a FACT either, home skillet. This fhegs been saying he has some super secret inside source into the Big12 conference expansion scene for a year now and has been wrong about almost everything. Color me skeptical of his "creds."

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line with the ACC and Big 12 (supposively but there does seem to be loopholes in the agreement) locked down to long term non-exit deals I think we are done for a while. You might see the Big 12 try to expand further once their TV deal comes up but honestly it is a very shallow pool for qualified candidates.

In all honesty the best thing for college football would be to go to 4 super conferences of 16 teams (however that fell out) and then do a 4 team playoff based on the conference champions. The conference championship games would become a defacto first round in an 8 team playoff of 64 eligible teams.

For basketball you just take all 64 teams and hold your own tournament which at first would suck but we would all get used to it pretty soon. And for those that say don't ruin basketball don't forget how much money the NCAA makes off of that tournament and that is money we ALL could be putting in our pockets instead.
Don't get the Super Conference thing ... I like my SEC football. Don't care to put together a bunch of conferences with no historical culture. Before you say, "what about TAMU and Mizzou" I was against that expansion. This is about what I want!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Not claiming I know anything for a FACT either, home skillet. This fhegs been saying he has some super secret inside source into the Big12 conference expansion scene for a year now and has been wrong about almost everything. Color me skeptical of his "creds."

What have I been wrong about. Be specific. Give EXACT examples. I would LOVE to hear this.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First sentence of the article: The only logical conclusion is that they are thinking about it, but are waiting to see what happens with the new playoff format. Which makes sense. Will they do something that dilutes their financial interests? Of course not ... they are smart people. But, if adding two more teams to get a CG game makes them money, you can be sure they will do it. I have no idea if that can happen or not, but to say categorically that they aren't considering expansion, when this article - assuming it to be correct - says just the opposite.

Staying at 10 teams actually positions the Big12 to get 2 teams into the playoff. Hypothetically, the Top 2 teams in the B12 could be 12-0 and 11-1. Texas has beefed up their future OOC schedule to make them more attractive with a single loss in conference play. :rollseyes:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get the Super Conference thing ... I like my SEC football. Don't care to put together a bunch of conferences with no historical culture. Before you say, "what about TAMU and Mizzou" I was against that expansion. This is about what I want!
I hear you and there are times I would like to back to the original 10 and get Florida and Tennessee back on our annual schedule for good. There is just too much money in expansion.

BTW: The SEC would just add two more teams and go to 9 conference games a year so it wouldn't be crazy different then it is now.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staying at 10 teams actually positions the Big12 to get 2 teams into the playoff. Hypothetically, the Top 2 teams in the B12 could be 12-0 and 11-1. Texas has beefed up their future OOC schedule to make them more attractive with a single loss in conference play. :rollseyes:
Someone will get two teams in at some point then the screaming will start and conference champions will be a requirement. Then Alabama fans will have heart attacks and the bds will melt down for a while.