• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

North Carolina courts uphold ACC's $52M lawsuit against Maryland

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol the lawsuit not being thrown out of court isn't all that big of a deal.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does this affect Louisville joining the ACC next year?

It doesn't. Louisville actually gave their 2 year notice to the BE hoping they would get an invite to the B12. They're good to go.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, I am shocked that a North Carolina Court found in favor of the ACC.

Who do you think a Maryland court will find in favor of?

Maryland's attorney general's office released a brief statement after today's decision: "We are reviewing the North Carolina appeals court decision and Maryland is considering its options," the statement read.

As others have stated, so far, none of these court cases are about the actual lawsuit and the money involved, it is about having the ACC lawsuit against Maryland thrown out. Right now, the ACC can keep on suing Maryland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 can still expand.
But it probably will not for a long while

It just doesn't feel the need to expand for expansion sake.
The league currently makes the most money from its TV deals, so its not in poverty.
Any kneejerk expansion would probably hurt the member teams financially.

As for expansion targets, the FLORIDA schools are far more likely than any scenario with useless teams like Memphis and Cincy. Those schools add nothing to the revenue pie.

WVU and TCU were shotgun weddings under duress.
It was necessary, so the TV market angles were not as important.

There is no Big 12 duress anymore. The league will be very careful when (IF) they expand.

UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU would add (TV markets/Recruiting hotbeds) but they would need to boost their commitment to being legitimate programs instead of high school level programs.

A BCS win by UCF might accelerate the mutual interest however.

The Big 12 added a florida bowl game this season to sort of dip its toes into that region.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you and there are times I would like to back to the original 10 and get Florida and Tennessee back on our annual schedule for good. There is just too much money in expansion.

BTW: The SEC would just add two more teams and go to 9 conference games a year so it wouldn't be crazy different then it is now.
I am with you, they should all stay at 10. Then do a round robin like the B12. I dont like when you can have top teams in the same conf. not play each other.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been said hundreds of times before. Even if Maryland has to pay the full exit fee, they will recoup that within 5 years of being a fulltime B1G member.

Things are looking up for the Terps.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly have no idea how the ACC is set up financially, but I have to imagine that if they have to pay this $52 mil fine, they will more than make it back soon from being in the B1G.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you, they should all stay at 10. Then do a round robin like the B12. I dont like when you can have top teams in the same conf. not play each other.

The pac did the 9 conference game round robin for years.

We were told we would get more national respect going to 12 teams and a ccg.

I didnt buy it then, and I certainly dont buy it now.

Could have the best of both worlds and still play 11 conference games and keep the ccg. But I think everyones too scared to go for that.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly have no idea how the ACC is set up financially, but I have to imagine that if they have to pay this $52 mil fine, they will more than make it back soon from being in the B1G.

When would Maryland start receiving a full share of Big Ten revenue? Last I read, Nebraska was not receiving a full share from the Big Ten and would not until their 5th year in the Big Ten.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When would Maryland start receiving a full share of Big Ten revenue? Last I read, Nebraska was not receiving a full share from the Big Ten and would not until their 5th year in the Big Ten.

It'll probably be about the same time frame. Even still, they will make more than they would in the ACC if the tv revenue projections are accurate.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually didn't know that. Is that any kind of revenue whatsoever?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll probably be about the same time frame. Even still, they will make more than they would in the ACC if the tv revenue projections are accurate.

Do they start collecting TV revenue right away at least?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they start collecting TV revenue right away at least?

Yes, but they get a smaller cut for the first few years, then they begin receiving the full share. I'm not sure the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can look it up if you really wanna know. Nebraska should be receiving a full share pretty soon.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about this Big 10 windfall.

With the addition of Notre Dame, Syracuse, Louisville, and Pittsburgh the ACC will likely have a larger footprint than the Big 10 audience...or at least equal.

The total difference for full members was only 2 million more in the Big 10 before the biggest national brand in Notre Dame joined...and Syracuse added the NY audience.

The Big 10 Network was already a free cable service in Baltimore and DC markets.
Adding Rutgers and the NYC market is a big deal, but the other markets were already in the Big 10.

It might take Maryland 20 years to recoup this loss.

They will spend 5 years probably making 3million less than the ACC schools as a partial member.

Assuming the ACC never gets a raise (after adding ND, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville)....

Maryland will need to average nearly 4 million more than the ACC schools for the following 15 years to break even after being a 5 year partial member.

I think they were truly counting on that 52 million never holding up

Maryland is going to be a dragging anchor on the Big 10 for years......

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the addition of Notre Dame, Syracuse, Louisville, and Pittsburgh the ACC will likely have a larger footprint than the Big 10 audience...or at least equal.

The total difference for full members was only 2 million more in the Big 10 before the biggest national brand in Notre Dame joined...and Syracuse added the NY audience.

The Big 10 Network was already a free cable service in Baltimore and DC markets.
Adding Rutgers and the NYC market is a big deal, but the other markets were already in the Big 10.

They will spend 5 years probably making 3million less than the ACC schools as a partial member.

Assuming the ACC never gets a raise (after adding ND, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville)....

Maryland will need to average nearly 4 million more than the ACC schools for the following 15 years to break even after being a 5 year partial member.

The ACC isn't getting ND football, so you can go ahead and take them out. B1G revenue is expected to be around $40M per school in 2017...roughly 2x what the ACC makes. That $52M is going to look like peanuts pretty quick.

Maryland can make nearly $100 million more in Big Ten by 2020 - Pete Thamel - SI.com

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not so sure about that. Adding ND as far as how big the fanbase is was nice, but Cuse, Louisville and Pitt don't really add much. Pitt is not that big of an addition as it is so largely divided among the B1G schools along with Pitt. Louisville and Cuse, simply put don't have that big of fanbases.

Besides, does ND really count since it was only for basketball? Obviously the big moneymaker there is football by orders of magnitude. That revenue doesn't impact the ACC at all, I wouldn't think.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC isn't getting ND football, so you can go ahead and take them out. B1G revenue is expected to be around $40M per school in 2017...roughly 2x what the ACC makes. That $52M is going to look like peanuts pretty quick.

Maryland can make nearly $100 million more in Big Ten by 2020 - Pete Thamel - SI.com

Yeah, but the ND equation is greater than any other single school whether they are in for football or not. Conference games are now guaranteed between ND and ACC schools in football. Plus, ND is now in the premier basketball conference in the land, adding Louisville, Cuse, and Pitt to that basketball landscape.

This is now a completely SICK basketball conference (and I couldn't care less) and the football income increases regardless. I think it's a win for the ACC in viewership and $$$. And I never wanted to go to 12 to begin with.