• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

no 3on3

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 2nd overtime of 3on3 would be preferable to a shootout for me whatever effect it would have on my Bruins.

I just don't like shootouts.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do one on one. :nod:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still prefer the old point system if it ends in s tie leave it a tie get rid of the loser points

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WAIT...WTF... When did you return Clarky?

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I came to a conclusion a while ago that should hopefully fit everyone's preferences.

-Eliminate points given during shootouts.
-Increase shootout players per side to 5.
-Remove restrictions during shootout, ie. allow all players on ice.
-Include shootout wins in win tally when determining tiebreakers in standings.

Purists will be happy because the gimmick shootout will not affect point standings. They can turn off the TV or walk out of the stadium before the shootout if they really wish to. It should also increase team's chances of making late season runs for the postseason

Ticket buyers will be happy because ties are not coming back and all games will end with a winner and loser

casual fans and kids will be very happy because the low pressure, all-star game like atmosphere of a shootout would allow people to connect more with the players.

Players will be happy because they will be allowed to experiment and try fun things in the shootout without risking their playoff chances. It will also allow for more players to get in the action with an increase to 5 shooters. Some players may complain because they have to spend an extra 10 or so minutes on the ice but they're payed a lot to entertain the fans so I wouldn't take it seriously.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying it not a first time, that 3 points system/rule would improve beauty of the game. If team is at risk loosing at least 1 point by going into OT or SO, then end of game will be much more entertaining than it is under current rules where team mentality is - we are not getting 2 points after Reg Time, we will see if we can get it in OT/SO. All playing safe and there is no joy of the game.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would do the following:

3 Points for Regulation or OT WIN
2 Points for SO Win, 1 Point for SO LOSS
0 Points for Regulation of OT Loss. (The problem here is would teams play carefully in OT because they want to at lease get one point?)

I would also make OT stat 4v4 and add 5 extra minutes. (10 Minutes OT).

I WOULD NOT have them change ends so it's the long change like in the 2nd period. 4v4 is already wide open enough.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would do the following:

3 Points for Regulation or OT WIN
2 Points for SO Win, 1 Point for SO LOSS
0 Points for Regulation of OT Loss. (The problem here is would teams play carefully in OT because they want to at lease get one point?)

I would also make OT stat 4v4 and add 5 extra minutes. (10 Minutes OT).

I WOULD NOT have them change ends so it's the long change like in the 2nd period. 4v4 is already wide open enough.

i agree with some of this

they will never go to a 3 point win. if they can't get anyone to increase the goal net they wont ever touch something like that.

before doing something radical like 3on3 they should make overtime 10mins at 4v4. i've noticed a lot of times it seems that overtime really gets going and then what do you know? it ends!

make it 10mins 4v4 then if a lot of games are still a lot of games are going to a shootout i would try to eliminate the loser point somehow. the 3 point game is too radical and i think 3on3 is even more radical and more gimmicky then the shootout.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i agree with some of this

they will never go to a 3 point win. if they can't get anyone to increase the goal net they wont ever touch something like that.

before doing something radical like 3on3 they should make overtime 10mins at 4v4. i've noticed a lot of times it seems that overtime really gets going and then what do you know? it ends!

make it 10mins 4v4 then if a lot of games are still a lot of games are going to a shootout i would try to eliminate the loser point somehow. the 3 point game is too radical and i think 3on3 is even more radical and more gimmicky then the shootout.

I don't see why 3 point wins would be a problem. goal net changes a fundamental foundation of all scoring records. Changing points doesn't do this. Will the penguins get some ridiculous point total like 145? Maybe, but that's irrelevant to all time records, because people will just look at things like which team has the most wins in one season, or points percentage.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see why 3 point wins would be a problem. goal net changes a fundamental foundation of all scoring records. Changing points doesn't do this. Will the penguins get some ridiculous point total like 145? Maybe, but that's irrelevant to all time records, because people will just look at things like which team has the most wins in one season, or points percentage.

I think the problem with 3 point games has to do with team competitiveness via the standings. Having all games account for 3 points would lead to large gaps between teams in the standings. These gaps would be bad for business when certain teams become hopelessly behind in the standings very early in the season.

I believe this is why the NHL hasn't bothered to remove the shootout. 3/4ths of the Mets division is within 10 points of each other with about 15 games remaining and previous seasons have shown a similar trend. Fans of bad teams like the Hurricanes still believe that there is hope for making the playoffs.

Naturally, 10 points behind with the current points system is a lot further back than 10 points with the previous point system and 10 points behind with a 3 point game system is a lot closer than 10 points behind in either of the other systems but fans are fickle and don't always see it that way.