• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nnamdi Asomugha announces retirement

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when people that didn't watch Raiders games would say he was about as good as Revis was? Too funny.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when people that didn't watch Raiders games would say he was about as good as Revis was? Too funny.

He was. Then he got the big contract and it was Shut It Down Let's Go Home.

See: Shaun Alexander

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL! Not even. It was hilarious when Sapp put him on blast for it back when he was on the Raiders, and the lemmings across the nation said, "Huh? Wha?"

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was fast

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washed up and couldn't cut it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gets married and retires and lives off his wifes Scandal money... Not bad...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alexander was never the same for sure. But to be fair, starting in the 2006 season, he got more injuries than Evel Knievel. Broken foot, broken wrist, ribs, knee, and more I think.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alexander was never the same for sure. But to be fair, starting in the 2006 season, he got more injuries than Evel Knievel. Broken foot, broken wrist, ribs, knee, and more I think.

Didn't Alexander turn 30 right about then too? We have talked at length about RB's and 30. They probably shouldn't have given him the big deal in the first place but it was a reward for all he had done for the franchise. It's apples and oranges to the Asomugha deal, imo.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He never shut it down. He just was never tested on the Raiders. He was an OK CB who was better than the guys playing opposite of him so teams rarely threw at him and he got a reputation as a shutdown corner.

That term is deceiving. Do teams not throw against you because you are that good (Champ Bailey in his prime) or because you can exploit the other CB or slot DB because they are not good?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do teams not throw against you because you are that good (Champ Bailey in his prime) or because you can exploit the other CB or slot DB because they are not good?[/QUOTE said:
I think teams do both. If a team has a poor corner, other teams will try to exploit that corner. The 49ers had Dion Sanders back in 1994 and teams would throw away from his side of field most of the time. Depends on the situation.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams do both. If a team has a poor corner, other teams will try to exploit that corner. The 49ers had Dion Sanders back in 1994 and teams would throw away from his side of field most of the time. Depends on the situation.

Well that is my point. To assume a corner is good just because they are not throwing at him is misleading. He could just have an inferior counterpart across the field and his reputation is inflated because of that.

Namdi benefited from his situation and the Eagles way overreached on a lot of signings that year.

Eaglkes had good players in all DB positions, so teams had no choice but to throw on him and we all found out how good he really was. To be fair, he dealt with a few injuries, but he got exposed.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is my point. To assume a corner is good just because they are not throwing at him is misleading. He could just have an inferior counterpart across the field and his reputation is inflated because of that.

Namdi benefited from his situation and the Eagles way overreached on a lot of signings that year.

Aso also had the benefit of they never moved him around the formation. He almost completely stayed to one side of the field if I remember right meaning teams could game plan against that and stick their best receiver on the other side knowing Aso wouldn't follow him. This then would mean an inferior corner going against a better receiver than what Aso was lined up against.

As much as I hated the Raiders I did like Aso as he was a stand up guy helping kids in the community more than most but as a player I think people are seeing he was more an above average corner than an elite one.