• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NIT Projection

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last night, it is hard to think about post-season, but it turns out, WVU likely has another game. Here is an NIT projection from nycbuckets.com . WVU is projected to play Ohio U.

NIT Bracket: March 3

By John Templon on March 3, 2014 in Manhattan, NIT, St. John's
There’s a new NIT bracket for Friday that’s been posted.
Just a few days ago I said that I didn’t feel good about Illinois making the NIT bracket. Of course then the Illini went out and beat Michigan State in East Lansing. It’s starting to feel like every team has a win over the Spartans, but that’s not really true. This is a huge victory. Here’s the kicker though: Illinois can’t play at home.
http://www.nycbuckets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/images.jpegIt’ll be interesting to see how the NIT seeding committee handles that case if the Illini are right around the 4/5 seed line come Selection Sunday. Last season Kentucky was given a 1 seed even though it couldn’t host and ended up traveling to Robert Morris. We all know how that worked out.
The other big change this week is that I did an in-depth seed scrub. I really went through and tried to put every team in exactly the right spot. Of course that doesn’t always happen, but I think this more accurately reflects where we are in the season.
The auto bids to the NIT will start taking spots shortly. This week in fact. Expect to see slots disappear. The teams that could take them are here along with information on potential CBI/CIT teams. If the movement justifies it, and it probably will, I’ll be putting out a new bracket sometime mid-week, most likely Thursday.
Last Few NCAA Bids (Not Necessarily In Order): Colorado, Oregon, Xavier, Arkansas, Oklahoma St., Baylor, Dayton, BYU, California, Missouri, Pittsburgh
NIT Bracket:
1. Tennessee
8. Middle Tennessee
5. West Virginia
4. Ohio
2. Georgetown
7. Clemson
3. Richmond
6. San Francisco

1. Providence
8. Cleveland St.
4. Illinois
5. Boise St.
2. Florida St.
7. Texas A&M
3. Marquette
6. Oregon St.

1. Nebraska
8. UTEP
4. Southern Miss
5. Georgia
2. Utah
7. UNLV
3. Indiana
6. Indiana St.

1. Minnesota
8. Western Michigan
4. Washington
5. Saint Mary’s
2. St. John’s
7. Manhattan
3. LSU
6. St. Bonaventure

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we landed a 5 seed and will face the Hoyas tomorrow night. Has anyone heard any news on the severity of Staten's ankle injury?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we landed a 5 seed and will face the Hoyas tomorrow night. Has anyone heard any news on the severity of Staten's ankle injury?

I read last week that his ankle is fine. In his words, 'it was just twisted'. I guess that means it was not a sprain. He didn't say he was going for treatment every day, nor have I read he is in a walking boot. So, hopefully this is good news.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a great draw to begin with, now with JS out or at least not 100% I think we might be looking at yet another first round bounce.:doh:

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one good thing about drawing Georgetown is they had been reeling as of late, with a 5-5 record in the last ten games. They did start that stretch with a win against Michigan State. However, they ended it with a loss to DePaul. This may be an ugly win by WVU even without Staten.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the defense?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like Huggins said a kid was questionable and probably wouldnt play a few years ago, but the kid played and had the game of his career, I cant recall who it was. Is there a possibility that Huggins is trying to lull GT to sleep, to give them a cant lose attitude?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was pathetic, GTown is not thst good!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the defense?

WVU played terrible defense all year. Two years in a row, Huggy's team has not been able to play defense.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a pretty bad ending to what looked like a promising year half way through. Hopefully with the help we get on the inside and one of the best backcourts in the nation next year we can turn the corner.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my opinion... not that it means shit.

Unless WVU develops a new attitude, next season will be disappointing as well. The attitude I am talking about relates to defense. Because it takes the right attitude... the right mindset... to do it well. I know I am an old fart, but defense is something a player/team can do well.... night in... and night out. It is all about effort... heart... desire... energy. It requires a ton of it to do it well. It can zap a player's energy to be as effective on offense.

Harris and Henderson are horrendous on defense. I do not expect two new kids in the frontcourt to make much difference here, as they will be in a learning curve period... adjusting to the speed of the game. Holton played 1 year in the Atlantic 10, but as we saw with both Murray and Staten last year... their numbers from the A10 to the Big 12 did not transition well.

The kids that made it to the Final 4... played defense. Even Beilein's boys who stayed with Huggy... bought in... and learned how to play great defense.

If this group of kids does not make a commitment to defense, they will fail to become special. Plain and simple...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is my opinion........Huggins and his cronies.....are done...time for some new energy...how about Mike Carey?..you laugh!...( and maybe I do a little)..but here is a guy that took a program that used to win 4 games a year ...and that was a good year...and now has them as a perennial top 20 team......

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is my opinion........Huggins and his cronies.....are done...time for some new energy...how about Mike Carey?..you laugh!...( and maybe I do a little)..but here is a guy that took a program that used to win 4 games a year ...and that was a good year...and now has them as a perennial top 20 team......

Honestly I would not want to move him out of the girls position.....not saying he can't coach, but I would hate for the boys team to take him and leave the girls out in the cold.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I find it rather odd that the same people on here saying to give an unproven football coach a very long leash are wanting to shitcan a hall of fame basketball coach for a couple of bad seasons, just a few years after taking WVU to the final four for only the second time ever..............................

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a couple of games early this season including VT and it was unbearable and I have not watched or followed them since except for the posts on this board.

My question for those who know is haw can this team beat Oklahoma State and Kansas and perform so badly at tournament time. (a)Was Huggins so good of a coach that he was able to take a weak team and win a couple of big games, or (b) was this a team that was good enough to make the NCAAs but underperformed because of poor coaching or poor motivation.

From what little I have seen and read, I would say it was (a) in which case, Huggs should stay at least another year.

and Mike Carey, really:wtf2:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question for those who know is haw can this team beat Oklahoma State and Kansas and perform so badly at tournament time. (a)Was Huggins so good of a coach that he was able to take a weak team and win a couple of big games, or (b) was this a team that was good enough to make the NCAAs but underperformed because of poor coaching or poor motivation.

Similar to some of Beilein's teams that were not very proficient defenders... when the outside shots are falling... this WVU team could beat anyone.

They could not defend a team well enough to allow a cold shooting night to turn out successfully.

There are some who point to the lack of frontcourt production, and I agree this hurt them as well. But, if this team could have defended better, they would have been a NCAA team this year.

Personally, I don't think the defensive performance is a matter of coaching. It has more to do with inexperience in Huggy's system, and the will to be a great defender.