• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners could take the 5th with Aldon

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners have the option of exercising the fifth year option for Aldon Smith by May 3. That would guarantee a salary of the average of the top 10 players at his position, equal to the transition tag tender. For 2015 that would be a little more than 9 million a year. That would still be bargain for Aldon if you look at what the cap numbers will be for Clay Matthews and DeMarcus Ware for those seasons. I can see the Niners doing that just to make sure Aldon has cleaned up before offering him the big money. That 5th year option is also a good leverage tool for the 49ers.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust him yet enough to pay him 9 mil but it looks like we may have to.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he keeps his nose clean and has a great year then 9 mil a year is a steal

oh and......

tumblr_me62nhk9p91qlsrn9o1_500.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So could the Niners use this fact as leverage in order to extend his contract now rather than later? He knows he's not going to get paid for 2 more years at the latest, but drugs are expensive. And I think the cap is going to continue to rise significantly. Might as well lock Aldon up to a long-term deal before the cap goes up. Use the 2 years as leverage to get him to accept less money.

6 years, 66 million (same as Clay Matthews). He gets a big raise this year & next, but he gets less than he would've the following seasons. Think he'd take it?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So could the Niners use this fact as leverage in order to extend his contract now rather than later? He knows he's not going to get paid for 2 more years at the latest, but drugs are expensive. And I think the cap is going to continue to rise significantly. Might as well lock Aldon up to a long-term deal before the cap goes up. Use the 2 years as leverage to get him to accept less money.

6 years, 66 million (same as Clay Matthews). He gets a big raise this year & next, but he gets less than he would've the following seasons. Think he'd take it?

He is a drunk not a coke head.