• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Saban blocking transfers

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I, and many others, have been saying.

And if you notice, once he had fully graduated, Saban granted his release. He did so on his terms and most likely had told him he would do so once he had graduated in the initial meeting. Its just a guess of course, but it seems logical and Saban is nothing but efficient and methodical in his decisions.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you notice, once he had fully graduated, Saban granted his release. He did so on his terms and most likely had told him he would do so once he had graduated in the initial meeting. Its just a guess of course, but it seems logical and Saban is nothing but efficient and methodical in his decisions.

But, not before Saban threw a temper tantrum. There's nothing logical, efficient, or methodical about doing something that makes you look like an ego maniac and calls into question your concern for the players who play for you.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, not before Saban threw a temper tantrum. There's nothing logical, efficient, or methodical about doing something that makes you look like an ego maniac and calls into question your concern for the players who play for you.

He threw a temper tantrum? Must have missed that.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He threw a temper tantrum? Must have missed that.

You wouldn't have "seen" it anyway. Obviously, metophors are lost on you. Let me be more direct: Saban, using the SEC rule, refused to the grant the waiver for Smith until it became a distraction. Now, you and the other Bama fanboys are trying to put a happy face on his behavior by saying, "most likely had told him he would do so once he had graduated in the initial meeting." Now that's not logical, efficient, or methodical, nor is it likely.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't have "seen" it anyway. Obviously, metophors are lost on you. Let me be more direct: Saban, using the SEC rule, refused to the grant the waiver for Smith until it became a distraction. Now, you and the other Bama fanboys are trying to put a happy face on his behavior by saying, "most likely had told him he would do so once he had graduated in the initial meeting." Now that's not logical, efficient, or methodical, nor is it likely.

You do understand why right? Ex-DC as the new HC and the kid wanted to follow him. This is not new, its happened at other places before, yet its "national news" and a horrific decision by the coach because its Saban making the decision.

And yes, i would see it because I hold Saban to a set of standards. I am not a "fanboy" by any stretch. I personally saw nothing wrong with him holding this kids feet to the fire. We are not privileged to inner sanctum meetings and they are plentiful as one might guess with a "process" like Saban(or any successful coach) might have. So it seems logical that when Smart left Saban would likely have addressed the situation in a meeting with the players letting them know they would not be given outright release to go there if they had eligibility left. You can make fun of, cajole and enjoy your anti-Saban rants, but in essence, he didnt have to let him go at all, but chose to end this temper tantrum by the kid by letting him off into the SEC's hands.

As for me, i would have laughed in his mothers face, told the kid to sit out a year and not allowed him to go to Georgia until he petitioned the SEC and the conference made the decision. Thats just me though, I'm an asshole.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do understand why right? Ex-DC as the new HC and the kid wanted to follow him. This is not new, its happened at other places before, yet its "national news" and a horrific decision by the coach because its Saban making the decision.

And yes, i would see it because I hold Saban to a set of standards. I am not a "fanboy" by any stretch. I personally saw nothing wrong with him holding this kids feet to the fire. We are not privileged to inner sanctum meetings and they are plentiful as one might guess with a "process" like Saban(or any successful coach) might have. So it seems logical that when Smart left Saban would likely have addressed the situation in a meeting with the players letting them know they would not be given outright release to go there if they had eligibility left. You can make fun of, cajole and enjoy your anti-Saban rants, but in essence, he didnt have to let him go at all, but chose to end this temper tantrum by the kid by letting him off into the SEC's hands.

As for me, i would have laughed in his mothers face, told the kid to sit out a year and not allowed him to go to Georgia until he petitioned the SEC and the conference made the decision. Thats just me though, I'm an asshole.

Really, I don't care. The reason it's "national news" is because this is the same coach (and conference, BTW) that has claimed to operate in the best interests of the players. This incident demonstrated Saban's hypocrisy. That's what all the public flap has been about.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, I don't care. The reason it's "national news" is because this is the same coach (and conference, BTW) that has claimed to operate in the best interests of the players. This incident demonstrated Saban's hypocrisy. That's what all the public flap has been about.
It's mainly because he's been dominating at everything he does and it pisses people off and it gives the usual suspects an opportunity to cry about it. Nothing in CFB gets clicks like Saban.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's mainly because he's been dominating at everything he does and it pisses people off and it gives the usual suspects an opportunity to cry about it. Nothing in CFB gets clicks like Saban.

You're probably right about that.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So lets analyze that a bit."Best interest of the player". Is it not in the best interest of the player to make him understand rules? I am failing to see how working within the rules(and they are there for a reason) is not acting in the best interest of the player. They created the rules due to Houston Nutt when he was at Ole Miss and a player from, I seem to remember Oregon, transferred in and it caused issues from the start. Rules are all around us, yet one player wanted special treatment and its now Sabans fault because he was not making it about the player. He actually did make it about him, he was making him abide by the rules of the conference. Imagine that, being held to rules. Shocking.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So lets analyze that a bit."Best interest of the player". Is it not in the best interest of the player to make him understand rules? I am failing to see how working within the rules(and they are there for a reason) is not acting in the best interest of the player. They created the rules due to Houston Nutt when he was at Ole Miss and a player from, I seem to remember Oregon, transferred in and it caused issues from the start. Rules are all around us, yet one player wanted special treatment and its now Sabans fault because he was not making it about the player. He actually did make it about him, he was making him abide by the rules of the conference. Imagine that, being held to rules. Shocking.

Did Saban make all his players abide by the rules? The rest is just "spin." Even the devil can quote scripture.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Saban make all his players abide by the rules? The rest is just "spin." Even the devil can quote scripture.
Yes he did. Its up to the discretion of each team and coach as to the teams players can transfer to. Kirby Smart did it with all players that wanted to Transfer to Miami to follow Richt. Its not unprecedented to see a coach coming in or leaving have tenants placed on transfers of players. Yet when Saban does it, its ground breaking and earth shattering.

Yes Saban allowed a player to Transfer to Mizzou, but no coach had left for that school recently and certainly not a DC going in to be the HC and having a defensive player follow. Rules are made for reasons, but apparently there should not be any rules at all, just wild west shootouts and free transfers any time, because it should be about the players, not rules.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he did. Its up to the discretion of each team and coach as to the teams players can transfer to.

According to your Alabama brethren, the rule is that players can transfer to any school outside the SEC unless the coach and conference sign a waiver allowing him to do so.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to your Alabama brethren, the rule is that players can transfer to any school outside the SEC unless the coach and conference sign a waiver allowing him to do so.

I am not sure of the exact wording, but I do know that they can block a transfer to a team inside the SEC if they so choose. Outside the SEC is another questions. Apparently it is possible to do so or Kirby would not have been able to block transfers to Miami.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can transfer to schools outside the SEC because only the SEC has a rule that says a grad transfer must have 2 years of eligibility left to transfer into an SEC school.

If they don't have 2 years of eligibility left, they must get special permission from the SEC - no matter what school they are coming from.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can transfer to schools outside the SEC because only the SEC has a rule that says a grad transfer must have 2 years of eligibility left to transfer into an SEC school.

If they don't have 2 years of eligibility left, they must get special permission from the SEC - no matter what school they are coming from.

Okay.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall saying he was unable to produce a valid academic reason for transfer.
I still say that if one has completed a degree, the challenge is providing a valid academic reason for staying.

But I guess "I don't have any more classes to take." just doesn't cut it as "valid".

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say that if one has completed a degree, the challenge is providing a valid academic reason for staying.

But I guess "I don't have any more classes to take." just doesn't cut it as "valid".

Mo Smith claimed he wanted to transfer to Georgia to pursue a degree in Public Health. Alabama has those courses available, the difference is Georgia calls it "Public Health Science".

Thus, it was not deemed a valid reason for transfer.

The SEC office also thought it was a bullshit reason for the transfer, but allowed it anyway under certain conditions. Basically, if Smith doesn't complete his degree and go to classes etc, Georgia will be penalized and won't be allowed any other grad transfers for the next few years.

The SEC basically called the bluff.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly you have never spent 20 minutes with a helicopter mom in full on special snowflake rage...there is no price high enough to pay to make that shit stop.
That experience is especially fun when said helicopter mom is a lawyer.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt seriously if she threatened anything. My guess he let her speak her mind and that was that. He released the kid due to his not being part of the University any longer. He graduated and was not enrolled in upcoming classes. He was done and had not accepted a grant in aid for the upcoming semester. Whats left but to grant a release?
This is why placing restrictions on graduate transfers is stupid and ethically indefensible.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why placing restrictions on graduate transfers is stupid and ethically indefensible.

I'm pretty sure if they are actually done with school they can quit and nobody can say anything about it.

It's that whole still wanting to go to school elsewhere that gets them.