• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Franklin brought up Ackley sent down

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE THIS MOVE!

its about time the mariners start holding people responsible for their bad play, both Montero and Ackley got sent down hopefully this will wake them up and they can get their shit together. Nick Franklin is being brought to play 2nd lets get this guy 200 ABs and see what he does.

Its a shame that Montero and Ackley were at one point top 15 prospects in the entire league and now their both in being sent back down to AAA. Maybe if Franklin does well at 2nd we can possibly bring back Ackley as a CF or whatever is more natural position is....

well whatever happens im on board with this move :yahoo:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its good to see that the front office isnt going to sit back and watch the whole season go into the tank.... My question is this though, what the hell are they going to do about this starting rotation? I mean lets be fair here, its not the offense that has stuck the whole place up the last week or two???

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really caught off guard by this move. Saw your post and had to double check to see if it was true. Reason I was so surprised about this is because on May 24th Jack Z said that Ackley was staying put.

http://mynorthwest.com/384/2281259/Zduriencik-says-Ackley-Harang-staying-put-for-now

That being said it was the right move to bring Franklin up and send Ackley down. Although I don't really know what good playing in AAA is going to do him. I'm no baseball scout so I'm not sure if there is something with his swing he can fix or what but I hope the trip down does him some good.

I'd like to see Franklin split time between 2B and SS. I'm not sure how his defense is at SS but I've heard it's at least passable. If we can play him at SS I think that really increases his value.

EDIT: Posted wrong link

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its good to see that the front office isnt going to sit back and watch the whole season go into the tank.... My question is this though, what the hell are they going to do about this starting rotation? I mean lets be fair here, its not the offense that has stuck the whole place up the last week or two???

I will defend the front office a little bit in a sense that if danny hultzen were healthy he would have been brought up to start, or even erasmo ramirez. but with both of them hurt i too am curious on what exactly they plan to do about it

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is this though, what the hell are they going to do about this starting rotation? I mean lets be fair here, its not the offense that has stuck the whole place up the last week or two???

14th in runs scored per game. 9th in runs allowed per game. The rotation needs t be fixed, no question. But the offensive is still the biggest problem. And I think they realize that. That's why they've replaced Montero, Ackley and Andino all in the last six days.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really caught off guard by this move. Saw your post and had to double check to see if it was true. Reason I was so surprised about this is because on May 24th Jack Z said that Ackley was staying put.

Zduriencik says Ackley, Harang staying put for now - Blog - MyNorthwest.com

That being said it was the right move to bring Franklin up and send Ackley down. Although I don't really know what good playing in AAA is going to do him. I'm no baseball scout so I'm not sure if there is something with his swing he can fix or what but I hope the trip down does him some good.

I'd like to see Franklin split time between 2B and SS. I'm not sure how his defense is at SS but I've heard it's at least passable. If we can play him at SS I think that really increases his value.

EDIT: Posted wrong link

To me, this would be one of the worst moves Jack could make. You can do that with guys like Truienfel but if Franklin is going to be called up to a part of the big club he needs a defined role to get his feet wet. They tried that when he got called up to AAA last year and he struggled offensively, he's young and does not need to be focusing on 2 different positions. One man's opinion though.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well lets just hope these moves pay off for the offense, they need something...

To be honest it does send a message to the players, the manager nor coaches are being blamed here, it falls squarely on the players....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, this would be one of the worst moves Jack could make. You can do that with guys like Truienfel but if Franklin is going to be called up to a part of the big club he needs a defined role to get his feet wet. They tried that when he got called up to AAA last year and he struggled offensively, he's young and does not need to be focusing on 2 different positions. One man's opinion though.

You actually bring up a good point. Although I really would like to see him as an eventual replacement at shortstop. Once Brendan Ryan is gone, unless we intend on having Truienfel being our starter I don't see anyone else in the system that looks to possibly be a competent SS. There is Brad Miller but he's still in AA if I'm correct, so he's a bit away.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You actually bring up a good point. Although I really would like to see him as an eventual replacement at shortstop. Once Brendan Ryan is gone, unless we intend on having Truienfel being our starter I don't see anyone else in the system that looks to possibly be a competent SS. There is Brad Miller but he's still in AA if I'm correct, so he's a bit away.

I think Miller was moved to AAA a few days ago, probably anticipating the Franklin move to the Mariners. I also believe there are still some questions about Millers glove at short. I haven't seen him play the position just from things I have heard mentioned.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like that Nick Franklin was called up and Ackley was sent down.

Now lets see if Franklin and Triunfel can get it done any better. My hope is that they can obviously but I also think Franklin and Triunfel will be given a shorter leash than Ackley was given.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they want Franklin at SS then fine, I just think it would put way to much in his head trying to adjust to the big leagues and being tossed back and forth. As for Miller, I've never seen him but if Ackley has taught me one thing is that a guy's drive can turn him from a horrible fielder to a really good one.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But are they just bringing guys up too quick again and now they are going fail? I don't know the answer, but if Franklin and Tru don't get anything going it could be a major roadblock in their head. I have more hope for Franklin, but if this screws him up I am going to be pissed. We have so few position prospects that have a chance. I would rather the team take a dive this season and keep the confidence and growth going for the younger players.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want Franklin at SS then fine, I just think it would put way to much in his head trying to adjust to the big leagues and being tossed back and forth. As for Miller, I've never seen him but if Ackley has taught me one thing is that a guy's drive can turn him from a horrible fielder to a really good one.

Agreed.

Ryan needs to stay at SS.

Franklin came up to replace Ackley. Franklin needs to be the starting 2nd baseman.

Truinfel came up to replace Andino. Truinfel needs to be the reserve middle infielder.

If Miller and/or Romero force the Mariners hand at the major league level, we can worry about that when the time comes.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But are they just bringing guys up too quick again and now they are going fail? I don't know the answer, but if Franklin and Tru don't get anything going it could be a major roadblock in their head. I have more hope for Franklin, but if this screws him up I am going to be pissed. We have so few position prospects that have a chance. I would rather the team take a dive this season and keep the confidence and growth going for the younger players.

Franklin hit better at Tacoma than Ackley did. Also, from what I've seen so far, Franklin seems to carry himself with way more confidence than Ackley ever did. It may be too soon for Franklin, but they won't know until they try. But, I like the kid's poise. If he fails in this trip up, he'll be back. I don't think his confidence can be wrecked. To me, he just seems mentally tougher than Ackley.

If it is too soon for anyone, that guy is probably Jesus Sucre. Sucre is 25 and has eight years in the minors, but he only had 14 games at AAA. He needed more time there. But, they really had no choice. They had to do something with Montero. Don't be surprised if the Mariners announce the acquisition of a MLB-experienced catcher in the very near future.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is too soon for anyone, that guy is probably Jesus Sucre. Sucre is 25 and has eight years in the minors, but he only had 14 games at AAA. He needed more time there. But, they really had no choice. They had to do something with Montero. Don't be surprised if the Mariners announce the acquisition of a MLB-experienced catcher in the very near future.

Thats why this move should have been made last year. We had Jaso and Olivo here who at least provided major league catching depth as it was tough Montero to get consistent action behind the plate anyway. It was well known that Montero was not the future catcher last year. Especially when the 3rd pick was spent on Zunino. The Montero situation has been completely botched in my opinion, almost as bad as the way we handled Brandon Morrow when he was here. As it is he have wasted nearly a full calender year running him out behind the plate and possibly ruining his bat in the process.

This proves my point I made in the other thread, that its not necessarily the wrong guys we have in the system, but our ability the develop young talent properly has been horrible to put it lightly.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in other news nick franklin JUST HIT 2 HOMERS today against the padres, so in 2 games nick franklin already has more homers than dustin ackley in 45. Hopefully this may be a start to something special, we should consider moving ackley to the OF

also I read that Montero is doing pretty well playing 1st base idk how much of an opportunity he is going to get with smoak and morales there but watching him play his new position should be interesting..

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid is going to be partying in the Gaslamp tonight.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, lets see if Franklin can keep it going. Maybe Ackley can play CF? I think he played some in college. I don't really see him having the speed for it, but it wouldn't be optimal to put him in one of the corner OF spots since those are usually more power hitting guys.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see them moving Ackley to the outfield. The one thing he has done well is play a good 2nd base. Plus I am not sure he has a strong enough arm to be a corner outfielder. They have put so much energy into making him a 2nd baseman that it would only screw up his head even more if they tried to change position.

If you happen to have the problem where Ackley and Franklin both produce and Franklin isnt moved to short then you would be able to trade one of them.

However we are a long way from having that problem.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: