• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL stands by ref's call of no OT goal for Sharks against Sabres

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Sharks got boned. Why can't they just admit that they fucked up? Sorry Sharks fans.

CULVER CITY, Calif. -- The San Jose Sharks feel they beat the Sabres in overtime Tuesday night. The standings and the NHL tell a different story.

The Sharks did indeed push the puck over the goal line during the 5-4 shootout loss to Buffalo, and defenseman Tyler Myers quickly kicked it back out. Referee Mike Leggo blew the whistle and signaled no goal. Officials in Toronto didn't notice the puck went in until after play resumed, which was too late to change anything.

The NHL told Elliotte Friedman of CBC that the goal didn't count because of Rule 78.5, which in part reads a goal is disallowed "when the referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle."

"Had we called a goal against Buffalo it would have been wrong because it shouldn't have been a goal," Mike Murphy, NHL senior vice president of hockey operations, told Friedman. "We should have done the headsets because any controversy would have died. This type of play is not a rarity.

"The optics would have been better if we got him to put on the headset and asked what he was seeing."

Click here to see the story and the play..Report: NHL stands by ref's call of no OT goal for Sharks against Sabres - Sabres Edge - The Buffalo News

74Kd5oZl.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tommy wingells thumb was in the crease

:bolt:

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK jshitstwer....:ss:

:lol:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a Ruff decision for the Sharks last night...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the Sabres are due about a break or 57 anyway. ;)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, It just seems like such a lame explanation, seriously what kind of BS is that? I know it's happened before but gimme a break, they fucked up end of story. Damn!

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharks didn't deserve to win last night, but I wish the NHL would just man up and say "we screwed up". Integrity is more important than a point in the standings IMO.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, It just seems like such a lame explanation, seriously what kind of BS is that? I know it's happened before but gimme a break, they fucked up end of story. Damn!

NFL does a much better job of saying "mea culpa" when it comes to officiating mistakes Boss (one of several things the NFL does better than the NHL).

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pathetic. I know Sharks fans would still be (rightfully) upset about the mistake, but what's wrong with a simple statement that says "Both the on-ice and 'war room' officials failed to notice that the puck had crossed the goal line prior to being pulled out by the Buffalo defenseman before play resumed. Under rule XYZ [author's note: I'm too lazy to look it up], once play has resumed, no further review of the play may be conducted. However, we acknowledge that a error was made in this instance and will take steps to prevent such incidents in the future."

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharks didn't deserve to win last night, but I wish the NHL would just man up and say "we screwed up". Integrity is more important than a point in the standings IMO.

I wouldn't say it's more important, but when you're not getting the point anyhow, a bit of integrity wouldn't hurt.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been saying that for years. The NFL admits it when a ref screws up but the NHL always gives some BS crap that sounds like Baghdad Bob giving their unbiased report. I agree Ties I feel the fans would accept it better if they just got the truth. As you said it is all about integrity

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but call me old fashioned, I want to win the game fair and square not like that.

You're old fashioned!!

(hey you asked for it)

I agree*, but it's just a regular season game - it all generally washes out over the season.

*Exception for Stanley Cup Finals - I don't care if we score straight up or Alex Semin style...

(the commentator's laugh/reaction is priceless)

Last edited by a moderator:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharks didn't deserve to win last night.

I disagree. They put up 51 shots on Miller, and came back from being down 3-1, & then 4-3 in the 3rd period, to tie the game and send it to OT, where they got the *GWG.

Sabres got a lucky break that helped them go on to win the game.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Sharks got boned. Why can't they just admit that they fucked up? Sorry Sharks fans.

CULVER CITY, Calif. -- The San Jose Sharks feel they beat the Sabres in overtime Tuesday night. The standings and the NHL tell a different story.

The Sharks did indeed push the puck over the goal line during the 5-4 shootout loss to Buffalo, and defenseman Tyler Myers quickly kicked it back out. Referee Mike Leggo blew the whistle and signaled no goal. Officials in Toronto didn't notice the puck went in until after play resumed, which was too late to change anything.

The NHL told Elliotte Friedman of CBC that the goal didn't count because of Rule 78.5, which in part reads a goal is disallowed "when the referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle."

"Had we called a goal against Buffalo it would have been wrong because it shouldn't have been a goal," Mike Murphy, NHL senior vice president of hockey operations, told Friedman. "We should have done the headsets because any controversy would have died. This type of play is not a rarity.

"The optics would have been better if we got him to put on the headset and asked what he was seeing."

Click here to see the story and the play..Report: NHL stands by ref's call of no OT goal for Sharks against Sabres - Sabres Edge - The Buffalo News

74Kd5oZl.jpg

This was OT, right?

So, had it counted, the game was over.

Who cares if play continued? Call down and end the game. Because it was over at that point.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know that Miller and Lundy are tied for all time leaders in SO wins (45).

Another thing about that no goal play last night I haven't seen mentioned, Damn Myers showed some pretty quick reflexes there.