• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL Offseason 2021 Thread

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can hope here is that Voracek and Korpisalo are going somewhere for a top C.

Jake's actually had better production the last three years, but the cap hit hit hurts. Philly would have to retain like 3 mil to make this a push.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to say that I still don't think there was even any discussion. And of course we've seen/heard zero evidence that there was at this point.

I actually think that if this story wasn't completely invented the trade would have actually happened, similar to something that I remember reading regarding when companies are purchased. It talked about how most of the time by the time the research and legwork has been done to figure out that buying the company is a bad idea they are already so comfortable with the idea of buying the company that they just go ahead with it anyway (does this ring a bell? I can't remember where I read it).
What would the evidence be though other than after the fact one of the GM’s being asked about it and confirming that they had a discussion about it and couldn’t agree?

It’s also not like these are two airtight front offices - leaks come out of both pretty frequently (we knew Edmonton was trading for Duncan Keith for like a month before it happened, the Leafs wanting Foligno and offering a first round pick was in the rumour mill before it happened, etc). But obviously you can’t confirm anything unless one of the parties says something.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose if there’s a decent 1C and Laine doesn’t suck that’s a good top line. Voracek doesn’t score anymore but can make plays really well and should for two more years.

But without that 1C you basically have the 2010-2015 Maple Leafs lol

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez all the big names being moved seems like we are back in the 80’s and early nineties.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would the evidence be though other than after the fact one of the GM’s being asked about it and confirming that they had a discussion about it and couldn’t agree?

It’s also not like these are two airtight front offices - leaks come out of both pretty frequently (we knew Edmonton was trading for Duncan Keith for like a month before it happened, the Leafs wanting Foligno and offering a first round pick was in the rumour mill before it happened, etc). But obviously you can’t confirm anything unless one of the parties says something.

We have nothing except Friedman and Johnston types saying vague "I heard they are talking" shit, no? It feels like the old "say something that could be true and sounds realistic and some people will believe it with no evidence if they want to" shit that always happens with these rumours. Hell, look at all the people that believed that Hyman still had any late chance of signing with the Leafs just because someone wrote "I've heard the Leafs and Hyman are still far apart" and that doesn't rule out that they are still negotiating.

This type of trade has never happened before. The incentives weren't there for it to make sense. Both sides probably saw this. It was never going to happen.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose if there’s a decent 1C and Laine doesn’t suck that’s a good top line. Voracek doesn’t score anymore but can make plays really well and should for two more years.

But without that 1C you basically have the 2010-2015 Maple Leafs lol
Laine - Domi (when healthy) - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Roslovic - Voracek
Texier - Foudy - Bemstrom
China Cough - Jenner - Robinson

Yeah. Something else gotta happen here. Lot of promise but the coaching staff REALLY has to deliver to get the most out of it.

Now something like:
Laine - Eichel - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Roslovic - Texier
Foudy - Domi - Bemstrom
Chinakov - Jenner - Robinson

is a tad better.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get why Florida didn’t just trade them this years pick. It was 24 overall and an absolute crapshoot draft year.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have nothing except Friedman and Johnston types saying vague "I heard they are talking" shit, no? It feels like the old "say something that could be true and sounds realistic and some people will believe it with no evidence if they want to" shit that always happens with these rumours. Hell, look at all the people that believed that Hyman still had any late chance of signing with the Leafs just because someone wrote "I've heard the Leafs and Hyman are still far apart" and that doesn't rule out that they are still negotiating.

This type of trade has never happened before. The incentives weren't there for it to make sense. Both sides probably saw this. It was never going to happen.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is there more to the question/quote? That reads like the answer to a question about a hypothetical, like when he was asked whether or not he was open to the possibility of a sign and trade. Did he say that the Oilers had contacted him/this value had actually been discussed?

I see that my prediction about the twitter reaction from the "fanbase" looks like it was about right, Dubas screwed up the trade they thought was happening. I'm getting ready for the articles about what a dumb dumb Dubas is.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Is there more to the question/quote? That reads like the answer to a question about a hypothetical, like when he was asked whether or not he was open to the possibility of a sign and trade. Did he say that the Oilers had contacted him/this value had actually been discussed?

I see that my prediction about the twitter reaction from the "fanbase" looks like it was about right, Dubas screwed up the trade they thought was happening. I'm getting ready for the articles about what a dumb dumb Dubas is.
Steve Simmons is sharpening his crayon as we speak.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, I’m enjoying this offseason of Metro teams being moved OUT of the division, so keep Eichel away you jerks (no, not to the jerks, come on).
But also, man I’d have liked that Reinhardt deal.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't believe that's all it took to get Reinhart, And i had a plane ride to mull it over. Don't get it.

So, I was sitting in my office firmly believing our flight was in the evening when my wife came in and asked why I wasn't ready. Oooops.

I am in the land of the back to back Stanley Cup Champions. And I can tell you, the excitement is palpable. I even saw a Lightning sticker on a car on the highway, The local news did like 8 minutes on the opening of Buccaneers camp and they even mentioned there was an NHL draft and the Lightning got some guy who plays hockey or something, Tom Brady is adorable though, let's talk about his dimples!

Fuck this whole place.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't believe that's all it took to get Reinhart, And i had a plane ride to mull it over. Don't get it.

So, I was sitting in my office firmly believing our flight was in the evening when my wife came in and asked why I wasn't ready. Oooops.

I am in the land of the back to back Stanley Cup Champions. And I can tell you, the excitement is palpable. I even saw a Lightning sticker on a car on the highway, The local news did like 8 minutes on the opening of Buccaneers camp and they even mentioned there was an NHL draft and the Lightning got some guy who plays hockey or something, Tom Brady is adorable though, let's talk about his dimples!

Fuck this whole place.
My parents are in Orlando, and I visited during the Finals. Passed a dude at Starbucks in a Bolts jersey, said “hey, go bolts!” to be nice. He stared blankly at me. You’re…you’re in the jersey?