• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL Offseason 2021 Thread

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Until this actually happens I'll remain convinced that this is

a) a way for the media to to try to distract/save face after collectively displaying that they didn't even know (and couldn't take 30 seconds to research) that a team trading for the rights to a player after the trade deadline of his final season still can't sign that player for more than 7 years ("we told you Hyman might get 8 years!")

b) a way to set up a narrative criticizing Dubas. If Hyman signs for 7 years on the 28th of July drunk bros will be screaming that Dubas screwed up by getting nothing for Hyman because they were told by Sportsnet that there might be a chance of a trade, and on Sportsnet it's on!

c) a) & b)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until this actually happens I'll remain convinced that this is

a) a way for the media to to try to distract/save face after collectively displaying that they didn't even know (and couldn't take 30 seconds to research) that a team trading for the rights to a player after the trade deadline of his final season still can't sign that player for more than 7 years ("we told you Hyman might get 8 years!")

b) a way to set up a narrative criticizing Dubas. If Hyman signs for 7 years on the 28th of July drunk bros will be screaming that Dubas screwed up by getting nothing for Hyman because they were told by Sportsnet that there might be a chance of a trade, and on Sportsnet it's on!

c) a) & b)
I think the idea is that it'll be a sign & trade so he's actually signing the contract with the Leafs for 8 years.

I will criticize Dubas if he helps Edmonton out and the return sucks though. Leafs had to give SJ a 4th rounder to hold some of Foligno's hit for a month. There should be a pretty hefty price to lower Hyman's cap hit by up to $1 mil for 8 seasons.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea is that it'll be a sign & trade so he's actually signing the contract with the Leafs for 8 years.

I will criticize Dubas if he helps Edmonton out and the return sucks though. Leafs had to give SJ a 4th rounder to hold some of Foligno's hit for a month. There should be a pretty hefty price to lower Hyman's cap hit by up to $1 mil for 8 seasons.

I know exactly what the idea is. I am saying that the media keeps hammering the "there might be a sign and trade and an 8 year contract!" drum as a way to pretend that they were partially correct before (when they were completely wrong).

I don't think your math is right. In order to make it even possible to save a million bucks against the cap I think the 7 year deal would have to be worth at least $61.25 million. That way an 8th year at $750K (minimum) would bring it to $62M, lowering the AAV from $8.75M to $7.75M. And Hyman ain't getting that kinda scratch.

With the numbers being talked about with Hyman it will probably be less than half a million bucks saved which is why I don't think there's much incentive for Holland. Like I said, until I see it happen or hear something from an involved party I think it's mostly a media creation.

Last edited:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know exactly what the idea is. I am saying that the media keeps hammering the "there might be a sign and trade and an 8 year contract!" drum as a way to pretend that they were partially correct before (when they were completely wrong).

I don't think your math is right. In order to make it even possible to save a million bucks against the cap I think the 7 year deal would have to be worth at least $61.25 million. That way an 8th year at $750K (minimum) would bring it to $62M, lowering the AAV from $8.75M to $7.75M. And Hyman ain't getting that kinda scratch.

With the numbers being talked about with Hyman it will probably be less than half a million bucks saved which is why I don't think there's much incentive for Holland. Like I said, until I see it happen or hear something from an involved party I think it's mostly a media creation.
A mil, half a mil, I don’t care, first round pick please.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A mil, half a mil, I don’t care, first round pick please.

Even Holland isn't that stupid I don't think. And I think it's even less desirable for Holland considering that it seems like Hyman will sign either way and it's only about the limited cap savings (his signing doesn't seem to hinge on the 8th year and/or keeping other teams away from the table). He's basically exchanging an asset for the privilege of signing grey pubed Zach Hyman for a couple mil 7 years down the road.

I would add too that this situation is slightly different from retaining salary in that the Leafs aren't affecting their own salary cap situation at all by doing this.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Holland isn't that stupid I don't think. And I think it's even less desirable for Holland considering that it seems like Hyman will sign either way and it's only about the limited cap savings (his signing doesn't seem to hinge on the 8th year and/or keeping other teams away from the table). He's basically exchanging an asset for the privilege of signing grey pubed Zach Hyman for a couple mil 7 years down the road.

I would add too that this situation is slightly different from retaining salary in that the Leafs aren't affecting their own salary cap situation at all by doing this.
No but that doesn't diminish the cap saving impact it has for another team. There's a cost for that and if it isn't worth it it's probably best to just let Edmonton bury themselves in another half a mil or whatever of cap hell. Never know when down the road you might be competing with them to win a trade and that comes in handy.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No but that doesn't diminish the cap saving impact it has for another team. There's a cost for that and if it isn't worth it it's probably best to just let Edmonton bury themselves in another half a mil or whatever of cap hell. Never know when down the road you might be competing with them to win a trade and that comes in handy.

I think that's part of the problem. It's one of those situations where Holland won't want to give up as much as Dubas will want and the valuations won't match up.

But that being said $400k or so can be managed easily, if your GM honestly thinks that amount would push them into "cap hell" that can't be escaped you need to get yourself a new GM.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Kahun gets another NHL gig it could be his 5th NHL team in 4 seasons.
I guess if you really aren't good it is always a positive to strive for Mike Sillinger's record.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dig being the process too, man

hippie GIF

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man, we're really trying to ratchet up the hate factor with the Flames if they add Coleman.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really wanna put the coke head in another place to negatively influence young Russian goalies and forwards again? You do you, boo.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Smith (Bolts beat writer) is debunking the Coleman to Calgary rumour tweeting it is not accurate.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really wanna put the coke head in another place to negatively influence young Russian goalies and forwards again? You do you, boo.
surprised Benning isnt all over this for Podz