• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: NHL Games - 4-7-15

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Isles will make it although the Jackets have been tough since they got healthy. They're going to be solid next year unless they have another bunch of freak injuries like this year. At one point they had 11 guys on the DL.

Isles lost in a shootout to the Blue Jackets last week. It won't be easy.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss of Voynov hurt them in a big way. It also hurt them cap wise. The bottom line is the Kings didn't score enough goals. I think Kopitar was exhausted after the Cup run. It took him awhile to get going. Toffoli & Pearson missing a lot of time due to injury led to their downfall this season.

I'm sure Slava Voynov being out had something to do with it, but quite frankly, once they inserted Jamie McBain into the lineup with Brayden McNabb, that's when they went on the long winning streak and then Darryl Sutter thought it was a good idea to take Jamie McBain out of the lineup and they started struggling again - the defense was fine until Darryl started riding Robyn Regehr and Matt Greene too often

If Anze Kopitar was exhausted after the cup run then maybe he needs to be in a little better shape - Drew Doughty is the only one that should have a legit excuse for being tired because he plays 30 friggin minutes a night and he's still playing dominant, even in a game like last night

The defense needs revamping and it's more of getting rid of guys like Robyn Regehr and Matt Greene - Jamie McBain was stellar when he was in the lineup but Darryl Sutter didn't want to play him enough I guess

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Slava Voynov being out had something to do with it, but quite frankly, once they inserted Jamie McBain into the lineup with Brayden McNabb, that's when they went on the long winning streak and then Darryl Sutter thought it was a good idea to take Jamie McBain out of the lineup and they started struggling again - the defense was fine until Darryl started riding Robyn Regehr and Matt Greene too often

If Anze Kopitar was exhausted after the cup run then maybe he needs to be in a little better shape - Drew Doughty is the only one that should have a legit excuse for being tired because he plays 30 friggin minutes a night and he's still playing dominant, even in a game like last night

The defense needs revamping and it's more of getting rid of guys like Robyn Regehr and Matt Greene - Jamie McBain was stellar when he was in the lineup but Darryl Sutter didn't want to play him enough I guess

Overall I don't think defense was the issue. You can't win if you can't score. Toffoli & Pearson missed a lot of time & in the end I think that's what has ended their season.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I don't think defense was the issue. You can't win if you can't score. Toffoli & Pearson missed a lot of time & in the end I think that's what has ended their season.

You just had to go and say that, didn't you?

/stealing dare's thunder...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Offensively they had points where they weren't scoring but overall, the defense took a legit step back - they weren't strong defensive like in the past and that's worrisome - the offense was no different than in past seasons

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just had to go and say that, didn't you?

/stealing dare's thunder...

dash, turn out the lights, the party's over

The Kings are done, toast, grilled, cooked, all of it

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensively they had points where they weren't scoring but overall, the defense took a legit step back - they weren't strong defensive like in the past and that's worrisome - the offense was no different than in past seasons

They won the cup as an 8th seed. They had one of the worst seasons ever for a team that made the playoffs that season. Sorry, but offense was a problem. Teams aren't going to make the playoffs often when they're lucky if they score more than 2 goals per game.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won the cup as an 8th seed. They had one of the worst seasons ever for a team that made the playoffs that season. Sorry, but offense was a problem. Teams aren't going to make the playoffs often when they're lucky if they score more than 2 goals per game.

Agree to disagree

Offense has not been any different this year than in past years - they could easily make the playoffs with this offensive output if their defense didn't have their heads stuck up their ass - the mistakes that were made on defense were inexcusable sometimes - that kind of shit didn't happen in previous years

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree

Offense has not been any different this year than in past years - they could easily make the playoffs with this offensive output if their defense didn't have their heads stuck up their ass - the mistakes that were made on defense were inexcusable sometimes - that kind of shit didn't happen in previous years

I think they would have made the playoffs had Toffoli & Pearson been healthy. It's not like the Kings have been at the top of the standings. Making the playoffs has been very difficult for them. If they had 1 more goal scorer they wouldn't be in this position. Win the lottery & making the playoffs won't be a problem for a long time.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting that Cobie mentions fitness and conditioning in so far as Bob Hartley gives a lot of credit to the Flames success this year to fitness coach Ryan van Asten. The Flames hired him away from the LA Kings.

There's no doubt in my mind they have full confidence in their physical abilities coming late into games, into overtime. They're not afraid to overexert themselves because they know they can recover."

Hartley gives credit to van Asten, who was with the Los Angeles Kings for Stanley Cup championships in 2012 and 2014, and with the Canada women's team for a gold medal won at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

"Huge. Huge. This guy is a magician," Hartley said. "This guy is so good. Great communicator, always ready, has lots of new ways to train, new methods. Guys are very excited with this. He's been a huge addition. It's his personality also. It's who's in the shoes that make the call. He's a great one."

Calgary Flames credit success to fitness level - NHL.com - NHL Insider

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting that Cobie mentions fitness and conditioning in so far as Bob Hartley gives a lot of credit to the Flames success this year to fitness coach Ryan van Asten. The Flames hired him away from the LA Kings.

There's no doubt in my mind they have full confidence in their physical abilities coming late into games, into overtime. They're not afraid to overexert themselves because they know they can recover."

Hartley gives credit to van Asten, who was with the Los Angeles Kings for Stanley Cup championships in 2012 and 2014, and with the Canada women's team for a gold medal won at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

"Huge. Huge. This guy is a magician," Hartley said. "This guy is so good. Great communicator, always ready, has lots of new ways to train, new methods. Guys are very excited with this. He's been a huge addition. It's his personality also. It's who's in the shoes that make the call. He's a great one."

This is the biggest loss for the Kings

There are a lot of players on this team that are out of shape and it's unacceptable - the only one who seems to be in great shape is Drew Doughty and probably Jeff Carter - the rest of them look lazy and uninspired because they don't have a S&C coach that will push them - I don't want to hear about the excuses of being tired either because the Kings have had a relatively easy travel schedule this season - they didn't play many back to backs and some of the back to backs they played were the Anaheim-LA and New York type b2b's - these players need a guy who can push them and keep them on the right track

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the biggest loss for the Kings

There are a lot of players on this team that are out of shape and it's unacceptable - the only one who seems to be in great shape is Drew Doughty and probably Jeff Carter - the rest of them look lazy and uninspired because they don't have a S&C coach that will push them - I don't want to hear about the excuses of being tired either because the Kings have had a relatively easy travel schedule this season - they didn't play many back to backs and some of the back to backs they played were the Anaheim-LA and New York type b2b's - these players need a guy who can push them and keep them on the right track

I think some of them are tired. They've played more games in the past three years than any other team in the league.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of them are tired. They've played more games in the past three years than any other team in the league.

Chicago has played a ton of games in the last few years, Boston has too and teams like the Rangers have made some deep runs in the last three years too - yes, the Kings may have played more than those teams but when you consider that those other teams play a lot more back to backs and have harder schedules later in seasons, the Kings should be able to have very little problem as far as being tired

I refuse to let this team off the hook

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Kings tired of Sutter yet?

I go back to Doug Bodger on radio saying half the team hated Dutter in Bodgers final season with the sharks

Playing Shore more minutes than Dustin Brown last night?
Starting martin Jones over Quick?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago has played a ton of games in the last few years, Boston has too and teams like the Rangers have made some deep runs in the last three years too - yes, the Kings may have played more than those teams but when you consider that those other teams play a lot more back to backs and have harder schedules later in seasons, the Kings should be able to have very little problem as far as being tired

I refuse to let this team off the hook

I'm not making excuses for them, but we all know West Coast teams have the worst travel schedules in the league in terms of miles traveled. The Rangers have it easy travel wise. Chicago hasn't had Patrick Kane for awhile & it didn't keep them from getting the job done.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not making excuses for them, but we all know West Coast teams have the worst travel schedules in the league in terms of miles traveled. The Rangers have it easy travel wise. Chicago hasn't had Patrick Kane for awhile & it didn't keep them from getting the job done.

The Kings travel schedule, all things considered, is actually not bad - the teams that have it bad are in the Central time zone because their road games are more spread out - the East Coast trips for the Kings aren't so bad because a lot of the teams are close by and sometimes you don't even need to fly

At the end of the day, the travel schedules didn't affect them in previous years so there's no point in attempting to let them off the hook now

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to tell you this, but I expect the Pens to beat the Isles on Friday.
Both teams have been uninspired down the stretch (heck, for more than the 2nd half of the season), so anything is possible.

I will say this: If it comes down to the final game against Buffalo for the Pens to make it into the playoffs, I wouldn't bet on them making it.