• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL Expansion to Seattle 2014-15 ???

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I remember about Seattle is that is was a pain in the ass to get downtown to the touristy stuff when we were staying out in Bellvue.

Might be one of the places where a Downtown Arena might not be the best idea. Move it to where the people live, Bellvue, Redmond, etc. I know it will never happen that way because the city wants tax revenue and such.

Philly built all their stuff right off 95, and not in the middle of the city. Easy access in and out does play a role in success.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a no-brainer to put the new arena right next to Safeco Field and Centurylink Field in the SoDo area. In fact, I remember a sign outside a particular establishment saying they would aid in construction:

As-mFuGCIAAxc21.jpg

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I remember about Seattle is that is was a pain in the ass to get downtown to the touristy stuff when we were staying out in Bellvue.

Might be one of the places where a Downtown Arena might not be the best idea. Move it to where the people live, Bellvue, Redmond, etc. I know it will never happen that way because the city wants tax revenue and such.

Philly built all their stuff right off 95, and not in the middle of the city. Easy access in and out does play a role in success.

The setup there is amazing. I was at a Pearl Jam concert at the Spectrum at the same time a World Series game was going on across the street and it was still easily manageable to get parking and getting out of there.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

The setup there is amazing. I was at a Pearl Jam concert at the Spectrum at the same time a World Series game was going on across the street and it was still easily manageable to get parking and getting out of there.

One of the best/most accessible stadium complexes on earth, I'd wager.

I went to a concert in the Spectrum when the Flyers were playing the same night in the FU Center. No issues.

When the Caps moved from Landover to Chinatown, I really cut back the number of games. It was a 45 min / hour drive to the Cap Center. Suddenly it became an hour drive to the metro, and another 45 minutes to the arena.

I love it here, I can pull right out of the Neil Ave garage, onto 670 and be at home in 15 minutes. It's right in the heart of downtown, but the access is great.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things might have changed since I last went to Seattle, but I found the Space Needle area to be sort of desolate compared to the rest of downtown, but the bigger problem was probably that it was old more so than its location.

desolate isnt how i would describe it .... outskirts of the downtown core maybe (still the downtown core though) but they have had a condo building boom in that Lake union area ... plus its just 3 miles from Safeco/Clink

traffic is traffic in seattle ... its bad because of urban sprawl ... the only way they fix it is with better transpo infrastructure ... and they will do it since they have made it policy to densify the downtown core

I think it's a no-brainer to put the new arena right next to Safeco Field and Centurylink Field in the SoDo area.

it is

the city has established that location as the sports zone and its of the highest comedy that the only people who dont think it would work are the Mariners (lol) ... slight vested interest there

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things could've changed, IDK. All I know is that when I went to Seattle, the area by the Space Needle seemed rather quiet compared to the rest of downtown Seattle. Not a bad thing, CONSOL is relatively quiet compared to the rest of Pittsburgh. At the end of the day, I think it's less about location & more about building a new area that could handle high attendance.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no brainer.....

The western conference needs another team, the location in downtown seattle or elsewhere shouldnt be an issue. Buildings can be torn down and streets diverted:hope:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman et al met with Chris Hansen earlier today...Still don't think this really gains any traction until Seattle lands a NBA team.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he tell him to take a seat? Did Bettman enter the room naked holding wine coolers saying he thought the idea was over 18 years old?

What did you think was going to happen here tonight? Yeah, you're free to go anytime you choose.

(Sidenote: Several years ago I went as Chris Hansen for Halloween. One of my friends was the camera guy, another was a cop, and another guy was the sound guy with boom, mic, and headphones. I would talk to other people, try to get them to admit something, and then the crew would rush in from around the corner to bust people. It was a lot of fun.)

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

were you at the 10/30/09 or 10/31/09 show? I was at the 10/31 show with my son. And you're right, even with both events going on, we were in and out no problem.