• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL GMs facing make-or-break drafts - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo Bills' Doug Whaley among GMs facing make-or-break 2015 drafts - NFL
By Field Yates

With draft week almost upon us, it's a good reminder that the rosters of teams that have sustained success in the NFL of late are bonded by two threads: a reliable starting quarterback and a core of talent built through the draft. Be it Aaron Rodgers and his home-grown crew of pass catchers led by Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb (and, truthfully, most of the Packers' roster), Tom Brady and his top targets -- Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman -- or Russell Wilson and Seattle's Legion of Boom secondary, teams that have climbed and remained at the top are often developed through the annual selection process of the top college players in the country.

Understanding the importance of the selection process, below is a look at five personnel decision makers who need a strong draft this year or could find themselves in hot water following the 2015 season.

Buffalo Bills GM Doug Whaley

buf.gif

Whaley and new head coach Rex Ryan have spoken in concert throughout the offseason, which has included extensive roster turnover through multiple trades that netted running back LeSean McCoy and quarterback Matt Cassel. The trick for Whaley and the organization in this draft is that the team is without a pick in the first round, as that selection was shipped to the Browns as part of the draft-night trade last year to move up and select wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

This past season was technically the first year that Whaley had control of the Bills' draft, but he was heavily involved in 2013 when the team took quarterback EJ Manuel with its first-round pick (Whaley was named the GM just a few weeks after that draft) -- a decision that has clearly not panned out. While Cassel, Manuel and free agent signee Tyrod Taylor give new offensive coordinator Greg Roman options at quarterback, the team doesn't have a top-level starter and could still pick a signal-caller in the draft. The Bills aren't shying away from expectations this offseason (see: making the playoffs), but Whaley has to ensure this roster fills its remaining holes; the offensive line could be an area of focus besides quarterback.

Tennessee Titans GM Ruston Webster

ten.gif

There's a talent dearth in Tennessee right now, something that can be traced to the past three drafts that were orchestrated by Webster. While the story on these draft picks remains incomplete, Webster's 21 selections have yielded a below-average return so far, part of the reason why Tennessee owns the second pick in the forthcoming draft.

Whatever Tennessee opts to do with that pick -- trade it or use it on one of the coveted players in this year's class, and possibly Oregon QB Marcus Mariota -- it has to bring back some immediate utility. While the team seems open to sticking with second-year quarterback Zach Mettenberger as its starter, adding a quarterback at Pick 2 (or using it in a trade for a quarterback, as has been widely speculated upon), would be wise for a franchise that needs a player to build around. This is a franchise and fan base desperate for a turnaround, as it's been 11 years since the team last won a postseason game.

Oakland Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie

oak.gif

There was speculation leading into this offseason that McKenzie could be replaced, as the organization underwent yet another overhaul, hiring Jack Del Rio as the head coach to replace interim coach Tony Sparano. McKenzie ultimately retained his job, but now enters a critical fourth season in his GM post.

It's unrealistic to expect the Raiders to make a quantum leap in the standings, but this roster has to be far more competitive after a dreadful 2014 season. McKenzie put the Raiders' abundant cap space to use in free agency, landing center Rodney Hudson, linebacker Curtis Lofton, nose tackle Dan Williams and wide receiver Michael Crabtree, among others, although the team did not land some of the preeminent stars it was reportedly interested in (running back DeMarco Murray, for example).

But the way Oakland will climb out of the AFC West basement is with an infusion of young talent. McKenzie hit a home run at No. 5 last year in landing defensive cornerstone Khalil Mack. Doing the same at No. 4 this year -- combined with further development from 2014 second-rounder quarterback Derek Carr -- will help his case to earn a new contract in Oakland.

Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew

det.gif

The Lions reached the postseason in 2014 and appear to be on an upward trajectory as an organization, but the task of returning to the playoffs won't be easy, especially after Detroit's best player -- defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh -- departed in free agency. While it's too soon to pass final judgment on the Lions' 2014 draft class -- first-round tight end Eric Ebron had a quieter year than most expected -- the entirety of the 2010 and 2011 draft classes, each selected by Mayhew, are no longer with the team. Cap management has been an issue for Detroit of late, and Mayhew needs to reestablish the pipeline of talent to meet the heightened level of expectations in 2015.

Indianapolis Colts GM Ryan Grigson

ind.gif

Grigson, like head coach Chuck Pagano, enters the final year of his current contract in 2015, one in which the Colts have tried to load up and advance a step further than their AFC Championship game appearance last season. Under Grigson's watch the team selected quarterback Andrew Luck and other foundational pieces, including tight ends Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener, wide receiver T.Y. Hilton, and promising interior offensive lineman Jack Mewhort.

But Grigson also green-lighted a trade for running back Trent Richardson in exchange for a first-round pick, and his 2013 first-rounder (defensive end/outside linebacker Bjoern Werner) has just six sacks in two seasons. Luck alone makes this team competitive -- they'll be the AFC South favorite again this season -- but it may take more than a playoff appearance to ensure Grigson's and Pagano's jobs going forward. A lights-out draft class would be a big boost.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say the Bills GM is definitely trying to make a difference. Don't know if it will all work out, but think he is doing the right things.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say ESPN were correct in saying these GM are on the hot seat. They all need some results this season to save their job.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say ESPN were correct in saying these GM are on the hot seat. They all need some results this season to save their job.
Grigson will need a lot more than a deflated football and a buddy in the NFL front office......

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was an NFL owner, I'm not sure which one of those guys I would want the least.
Probably Mayhew.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was an NFL owner, I'm not sure which one of those guys I would want the least.
Probably Mayhew.

I would go with McKenzie. He kept saying that them being in Cap Hell is what limited him in the first couple of years so people had to give him the benefit of the doubt. When he did finally get out of Cap Hell though he was only able to bring in players by completely overpaying for them. I mean if you wanted to make money then call up Oakland as they will give you millions above what other teams will. Then when he has the #3 pick he trades it back getting an extra 2nd (the year before a team moving from 6 to 2 got 3 1st round picks) and then those two players have pretty much been busts. Heck 3 of his first 4 picks in his first draft with decent draft picks have just been down right terrible. He made up for it some this last year with some decent picks but again I would say this past FA beyond getting a quality Center I wouldn't say the rest of their FA period was all that great and once again they kept overpaying for players. Heck most of the marquee players won't even give the Raiders a look as the organization has just been the worst in football for years now. McKenzie hasn't done anything at this point to make anybody think differently in my opinion about it. Which hey as a Bronco fan makes me happy.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKenzie was a toss up and the main reason I picked out Mayhew is I like Reggie as a player, which of course has zero bearing on whether he can GM a team. Additionally, he was stuck with Al Davis as an owner.
Every one of these GM's have underperformed. Sucktitude at it's finest.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go with McKenzie. He kept saying that them being in Cap Hell is what limited him in the first couple of years so people had to give him the benefit of the doubt. When he did finally get out of Cap Hell though he was only able to bring in players by completely overpaying for them. I mean if you wanted to make money then call up Oakland as they will give you millions above what other teams will. Then when he has the #3 pick he trades it back getting an extra 2nd (the year before a team moving from 6 to 2 got 3 1st round picks) and then those two players have pretty much been busts. Heck 3 of his first 4 picks in his first draft with decent draft picks have just been down right terrible. He made up for it some this last year with some decent picks but again I would say this past FA beyond getting a quality Center I wouldn't say the rest of their FA period was all that great and once again they kept overpaying for players. Heck most of the marquee players won't even give the Raiders a look as the organization has just been the worst in football for years now. McKenzie hasn't done anything at this point to make anybody think differently in my opinion about it. Which hey as a Bronco fan makes me happy.

McKenzie belongs on this list, idk where exactly, but I also think OAK is a team on the uptick finally...solid, young QB that imo will go thru more growing pains, but if they can surround him with another pc or two the success will start to show up on the won loss record.

McKenzie fell prey to this as well...the Raiders problems is they were not close enough to be investing in big money FA players like Seymore, etc.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKenzie is by far the worst on that list.

I don't have the time now to list out how awful his offseason was last year but he spent almost $30M or something like that on guys that had no future with the Raiders last offseason. It made NO SENSE. Overpaying even a single player that at least had a future with the team would have been a better use of the Raider's money.