• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL.com: Browns zeroing in on Mariota

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland Browns zeroing in on Marcus Mariota? - NFL.com

According to the NFL.com, the Browns have seen enough of Manziel to know that they should start looking elsewhere for his replacement in the next few months. And the guy they're looking to give the franchise reins to is Marcus Mariota. While I think that Manziel can turn around his personal life and mature as an individual, I concur with the Browns' brass that Manziel simply won't be able to cut it as a franchise QB.

If the Browns are going to take Mariota, they need to trade up within the five five spots to get him. That may mean trading up with our beloved Redskins. The question then becomes price. On the draft value point chart, we could swap our #5 overall and third and fourth rounders for their #12 and #19 first round picks. But that would be too easy for Cleveland. We can -- and should -- leverage their desperation for Mariota by swapping each teams' picks in the first round and Cleveland's second rounder this year or their first rounder next year. Whatever the case may be, this may give McCloughan the first chance to work his magic as a personnel guy. If this move is going to happen, let's hope he doesn't let us down.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love for a trade to work out for us. I have to figure the Jets may be looking to move up as well.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland Browns zeroing in on Marcus Mariota? - NFL.com

According to the NFL.com, the Browns have seen enough of Manziel to know that they should start looking elsewhere for his replacement in the next few months. And the guy they're looking to give the franchise reins to is Marcus Mariota. While I think that Manziel can turn around his personal life and mature as an individual, I concur with the Browns' brass that Manziel simply won't be able to cut it as a franchise QB.

If the Browns are going to take Mariota, they need to trade up within the five five spots to get him. That may mean trading up with our beloved Redskins. The question then becomes price. On the draft value point chart, we could swap our #5 overall and third and fourth rounders for their #12 and #19 first round picks. But that would be too easy for Cleveland. We can -- and should -- leverage their desperation for Mariota by swapping each teams' picks in the first round and Cleveland's second rounder this year or their first rounder next year. Whatever the case may be, this may give McCloughan the first chance to work his magic as a personnel guy. If this move is going to happen, let's hope he doesn't let us down.

Don't think so I don't see us giving up any picks and if he is at our spot and they want him that badly it will cost them

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
browns love to fuck up on draft day, i think they will make us a big offer.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bad deal so we would get browns 12 and 19 but lose are 3rd and 4 rd that would put us at 1,1,2,5,6,7 hell no'bad deal

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swap'the'pick'plus 1 first rd next year plus this years 2 ,4 7,

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns are truly looking to trade up, my concern is they make a deal with the Raiders or the Jaguars. As mentioned above, the Jets are also interested in Mariota. So they too may be looking to trade up if they think Cleveland may leapfrog them. Which means the winner will be taking Mariota before the 5th pick. We may get bypassed in this frenzy all together. The good news is that if Mariota goes in the first four, there is a fairly good chance that Williams may fall to us.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well if he aint there we could look at shelton

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bad deal so we would get browns 12 and 19 but lose are 3rd and 4 rd that would put us at 1,1,2,5,6,7 hell no'bad deal

Keep in mind that my first proposed trade was based strictly on draft value chart points. I agree that we can dispense with that formulaic system and leverage the Browns' desperation for Mariota. The issue then comes whether anyone else between two through four will take Mariota. Tennesee could possibly do so, but I doubt it. Jacksonville and Oakland won't either, but they may seriously entertain offers to trade up. Keep in mind, however, that moving up and down picks in the first five selections are huge. If someone wants the third overall pick, they'll be paying a lot more for that than our fifth.

The only real suitors for Mariota appear to be Cleveland and Philly. And neither of them may be that interested enough to cough up a king's ransom to get him. If they do, they'll see if they can try and get a "bargain" price with us. Of course, that leaves the Jets, who very well could leapfrog from their sixth spot to one of the top five picks. But that'll cost them picks too, something they're in dire need of.

If a deal is to occur, I'd assume it would happen after the combines and before free agency opens up. That would seem to make the most sense since nailing down your QB situation would give you a much clearer direction on how you want to proceed in FA and then the draft.

We shall see.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect either QB or Williams to be there at 5.

I expect Williams to be gone no later than three, and probably by the second overall pick to Tennessee. If Tennessee does the unprobable and takes Mariota, Williams is the next selection. If, however, Mariota survives past the number two pick and neither Oakland or Jacksonville pull off a trade, he's there at number five.

Then, things will get interesting. If we get no takers, we take a look at people like Danny Shelton, Randy Gregory and Shane Ray. This all depends on what happens between now and Draft Day. Maybe their stock will fall, we pick up someone that obviates the need for drafting them, etc.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind that my first proposed trade was based strictly on draft value chart points. I agree that we can dispense with that formulaic system and leverage the Browns' desperation for Mariota. The issue then comes whether anyone else between two through four will take Mariota. Tennesee could possibly do so, but I doubt it. Jacksonville and Oakland won't either, but they may seriously entertain offers to trade up. Keep in mind, however, that moving up and down picks in the first five selections are huge. If someone wants the third overall pick, they'll be paying a lot more for that than our fifth.

The only real suitors for Mariota appear to be Cleveland and Philly. And neither of them may be that interested enough to cough up a king's ransom to get him. If they do, they'll see if they can try and get a "bargain" price with us. Of course, that leaves the Jets, who very well could leapfrog from their sixth spot to one of the top five picks. But that'll cost them picks too, something they're in dire need of.

If a deal is to occur, I'd assume it would happen after the combines and before free agency opens up. That would seem to make the most sense since nailing down your QB situation would give you a much clearer direction on how you want to proceed in FA and then the draft.

We shall see.

The jets are also interested in one of the two top QBs. They are at 6. If they believe that one might fall to us at 5 and we will trade back with Cleveland, then they may try and trade up with Jax to ensure they get a QB.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think we will be able to make a trade concerning mariota

when its all said and done we will pick at 5

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is very debatable, IMHO. The Browns have a first round QB bust from 2012 (and who isn't on the team any more), a possible first round QB bust from last year, a number WR that may never play in the NFL again, a starting QB (Brian Hoyer) who may not come back, and an assortment of holes elsewhere.

This, of course, isn't to say we're in good shape. But with a core of talent at the offensive skills positions, new coaches that carry a solid brand of credibility, and a new first-rate personnel guy, I think we're better of than the Browns.

As for the Jets trading down to Jax's pick, the minimum (ballpark) market has been set by us already. You can be sure that Jax will be looking for something around there and then some. And that might be too rich for anyone.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the Browns area worse mess than we are. And that's saying something.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the browns have a good offensive line . 2 pro bowlers are on it . a good TE , some decent young rbs a stellar defensive backfield and a decent front 7

the brownd would be better served if they simply kept their 1st round picks and get some wr help

they wont get a qb in the draft but build other areas then get the qb