• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL and Penalties For Celebrations

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL relaxing penalties for on-field celebrations

After months of discussions, the NFL is rolling back its rules for on-field celebrations, which the league hopes will lead to more fun and fewer flags.

USA TODAY Sports' Tom Pelissero reported from the owners meeting in Chicago on Tuesday that Commissioner Roger Goodell was expected to announce the changes.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunking on the goalpost is still a no?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no difference to me. Once the guy scores I skip back for my own replay, then forward to the different angles. Then right past the kickoff.

Don't waste my time on celebrations.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If so, fuck the police refs. I'd consider it a prop personally.
There was some creedence to this. It was occasionally knocking the goal posts out of plumb. Which delays the game because the grounds crew need to bring out a ladder and level them. I vote no dunking. Finger rolls are fine.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was some creedence to this. It was occasionally knocking the goal posts out of plumb. Which delays the game because the grounds crew need to bring out a ladder and level them. I vote no dunking. Finger rolls are fine.

Yeah I agree, knocking the goal post out of whack is a bad idea that would lead to delays and we don't need that.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree, knocking the goal post out of whack is a bad idea that would lead to delays and we don't need that.

How many times has the goal post be out pushed out a whack though? I agree with you, just don't remember it happening

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is calling for all Patriots touchdowns to draw a penalty.......

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has the goal post be out pushed out a whack though? I agree with you, just don't remember it happening
I personally remember at least twice. I'm sure there has been more. Just better to avoid it in my opinion. I'm not into adding 15-30 minutes to a game because someone felt it was their right to express themselves by dunking. If you feel the need to dunk go play in the NBA.

A better determination may be to see how many dunks actually took place before they made it illegal. Then how many time the goal posts got knocked out of whack?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody think this rule would have ever been changed if last year hadn't consistently struggled across the board with lowered ratings? By the same token, whether or not you like this change, do you think it will be the sea change needed to bring back viewers?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody think this rule would have ever been changed if last year hadn't consistently struggled across the board with lowered ratings? By the same token, whether or not you like this change, do you think it will be the sea change needed to bring back viewers?
Roger is trying anything to gain back any positive PR with players or fans. I'm not sure if it brings the ratings back up or not? But, I bet some of the younger players will now think Roger is awe-right. Being able to express themseleve's is more important to them then safety or fines/suspensions by the Czar.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger is trying anything to gain back any positive PR with players or fans. I'm not sure if it brings the ratings back up or not? But, I bet some of the younger players will now think Roger is awe-right. Being able to express themseleve's is more important to them then safety or fines/suspensions by the Czar.
I kinda hate Goodell, but his job is to be the scapegoat for the team owners. He's doing a great job with it too.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda hate Goodell, but his job is to be the scapegoat for the team owners. He's doing a great job with it too.

Has he? Too much has blown up in his face. He definitely has insulated the owners but they have felt the heat.
Back to the topic: It sure can't hurt. But wait! They still have to make the right calls.....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure his job is to be the scapegoat however it is a byproduct of his position. He's charged wiyh taking the owners collective voice into discussions with the NFLPA and other organizations.

But he's also responsible for protecting the shield and trying to maintain parity within the league. Of which he has failed miserably. The frivilous and unresearched law suits and judgements he's handed out have proven that.

The owners are making hands over fists due to tv, advertising deals and fantasy football, along with having the greatest sport to watch. Roger has had very little to do with this. Maybe he hired the correct executives? If so good on him. The sign of a good leader is surrounding yourself with talented people.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have never penalized celebrations in the 1st place. Good to see the league relaxing some of the rules on this.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure his job is to be the scapegoat however it is a byproduct of his position. He's charged wiyh taking the owners collective voice into discussions with the NFLPA and other organizations.

But he's also responsible for protecting the shield and trying to maintain parity within the league. Of which he has failed miserably. The frivilous and unresearched law suits and judgements he's handed out have proven that.

The owners are making hands over fists due to tv, advertising deals and fantasy football, along with having the greatest sport to watch. Roger has had very little to do with this. Maybe he hired the correct executives? If so good on him. The sign of a good leader is surrounding yourself with talented people.

To work for the League Office, all you have to do is hate the Patriots and be from NY.
Oh, and being caught in some dirty business doesn't hurt.....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrell Owens was a big culprit to the rules in the first place, the pen signing, pom poms, disrespecting the Dallas star.... But it's cool the league is backing off a bit, I mean common it's a game, it's suppose to have drama and fun involved...

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope......far as the low ratings go. No surprise they're (NFL owners) easing up in this aspect. The only thing some people understand is money. And the only time they worry or get butt hurt is when they're losing it.