• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC East thoughts

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The read option FAD just like the wildcat, now LOL @ that Fish Eyed Fools! :laugh3:

#Lt. Dan has more knee Cartilage than RGKnee :wtf::wtf:

I don't think it is just like the wildcat. While I don't think teams will be able to rely on it like they did last year, I think it still work really well when used at the right times..... The difference is, in the option..... The QB is the one running and he can actually throw the ball, so if you have a QB that can run.... Then it makes it near impossible to stop.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read option is infinitely more difficult to stop because it involves a passing threat. The Redskins only ran read option 10 plays a game to begin with. And when teams attempted to stack the line of scrimmage against the run aspect of it, they easily passed over the top of it with huge vacated areas in the middle of the field due to linebackers and safeties keying against the run. Good luck thinking that it's the same as the wildcat. And like I said, I hope teams try to key on that aspect of the Redskins offense. People act like that's all they run, when reality is that it's only a small portion of the overall offense.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two concerns. Livings,Bernadeaux are always injured and Leary is also nicked. The safeties also need to prove they can make plays. I never liked the 3-4 as we did not have the personnel to fit it on the DL. I thought Canty was a fit, but they let him get away too early. Going back to the 4-3 under Kiffens should make the defense better.

The Skins don't concern me. I just don't think Cousins will get the job done after RG3 goes down.

The Giants defense is now old. They have no defense.

The Egals have an injury prone QB and their defense will struggle with the transition.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is just like the wildcat. While I don't think teams will be able to rely on it like they did last year, I think it still work really well when used at the right times..... The difference is, in the option..... The QB is the one running and he can actually throw the ball, so if you have a QB that can run.... Then it makes it near impossible to stop.

You are right. It is very difficult to stop. There is also no way to argue that running QBs seem to always get hurt at the NFL level. QBs like Randall Cunningham, Donte Culppepper, Mike Vick were awesome threats when they were healthy.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly it was one year, hence it is a FAD. The Ravens displayed the blue print in the SB, hit the QB every time, no matter if he has the ball or NOT!! Which should have been common sense to begin with.....

Ravens didn't stop the 49ers offense. They had 400+ yards and scored over 30 points. Kaepernick over 300 yards passing and averaged 8+ yards per carry. Dumb argument.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens didn't stop the 49ers offense. They had 400+ yards and scored over 30 points. Kaepernick over 300 yards passing and averaged 8+ yards per carry. Dumb argument.

All those stats dont mean a damn thing, who won? My point is if you keep exposing your QB sooner or later he will be carried off the field. What good is it to have all those stats in a game, and lose your QB for the season?

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those stats dont mean a damn thing, who won? My point is if you keep exposing your QB sooner or later he will be carried off the field. What good is it to have all those stats in a game, and lose your QB for the season?

That wasn't your point. You said the Ravens showed how to stop the read option. They didn't.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
through out history when something new is introduced in offensive gameplay, when given the time the DCs usually come up with a defense to counter it. Now that doesn't mean some teams still don't have success with it, but that type of play does become less effective in the NFL. I am sure the read option a bunch of teams started using, will become less effective as well.
Now there is always the possibility of the exception to the rule.

I remember when the run & shoot offense became the big new thing that was gonna change the NFL. Then the DCs adjusted in time & the run & shoot went by the way side......... well except the Houston Oilers whose offense still excelled in it. So while it was still true the run & shoot became less effective, the Oilers could still run it at a high level.

One of the skins fans in another thread said what I worry about. If RGIII starts being smart with his body (throwing it away, running out of bounds, sliding & such) it may take longer to defend against it from the skins. But whether that happens or not, I stand by the thought of the DCs will make the read option NFL wide less effective than it was this year. (even without injuries)

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't your point. You said the Ravens showed how to stop the read option. They didn't.

How they hell you going to tell me what my point is?:wtf2: I said the Raven displayed the blue print, by hitting the QB (Suggs) everytime no matter if he kept the ball or not. Eventually those hit slows the QB down or will permanently put him on the sideline.......

I hope the "Catfish" keep exposing RGKnee like Morons :what:

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How they hell you going to tell me what my point is?:wtf2: I said the Raven displayed the blue print, by hitting the QB (Suggs) everytime no matter if he kept the ball or not. Eventually those hit slows the QB down or will permanently put him on the sideline.......

I hope the "Catfish" keep exposing RGKnee like Morons :what:

I can tell you what your point is by what you choose to type before you hit the submit reply button. You said the Ravens showed this blueprint in the superbowl. Yet, the 49er offense scored over 30 points and had over 450 combined yards. Yeah, that's an AWESOME blue print. If I'm the Redskins, or any other offense that has read option aspects to it, I LOVE that blueprint. Gimmie more...

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you what your point is by what you choose to type before you hit the submit reply button. You said the Ravens showed this blueprint in the superbowl. Yet, the 49er offense scored over 30 points and had over 450 combined yards. Yeah, that's an AWESOME blue print. If I'm the Redskins, or any other offense that has read option aspects to it, I LOVE that blueprint. Gimmie more...

I hope the "Catfish" coaching staff has the exact mentality as you, keep literally exposing
:laser: RGknees

Last edited by a moderator:

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
through out history when something new is introduced in offensive gameplay, when given the time the DCs usually come up with a defense to counter it. Now that doesn't mean some teams still don't have success with it, but that type of play does become less effective in the NFL. I am sure the read option a bunch of teams started using, will become less effective as well.
Now there is always the possibility of the exception to the rule.

I remember when the run & shoot offense became the big new thing that was gonna change the NFL. Then the DCs adjusted in time & the run & shoot went by the way side......... well except the Houston Oilers whose offense still excelled in it. So while it was still true the run & shoot became less effective, the Oilers could still run it at a high level.

One of the skins fans in another thread said what I worry about. If RGIII starts being smart with his body (throwing it away, running out of bounds, sliding & such) it may take longer to defend against it from the skins. But whether that happens or not, I stand by the thought of the DCs will make the read option NFL wide less effective than it was this year. (even without injuries)

Some wrinkles stick and some don't. Run and Shoot went by the wayside to a degree. There are aspects of it that still live on, today they call it the spread. Then there are wrinkles and philosophies like the West Coast offense that becomes the norm and continues to morph. Zone blitz schemes were made to counter it and the good coaches from the West Coast family adapted.

Here's the thing though that gets lost. At it's core, the Redskin offense is the exact same offense that Shanahan ran in Denver and what you currently see running in Houston. The only added wrinkle being those 10 plays a game where they throw in read option. In the event that teams do adjust, it's up to the offense to make adjustments themselves. Teams may or may not be more effective at stopping it, remains to be seen IMO. But by keying on it, good offensive coaches will exploit that. Teams keying on it last year was part of the reason why RG3 led the league in TDs of 40 yards or more.

Things that are one dimensional are easy to stop. Which is why I don't think the comparison to the Wildcat is a valid one.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the "Catfish" coaching staff has the exact mentality as you, keep literally exposing
:laser: RGknees

They do. Have already said as much. And their reasoning is a sound one. The scheme gives RG3 more time in the pocket because the defensive ends have to play run first before they come up field on a pass rush. If they don't. Morris will run right by them. You saw this first hand giving up 200 yards and 3 TDs to Morris and another TD to a one legged RG3 in the 2nd game.

And RG3's knees are much more exposed on scrambles that aren't planned runs. His knee injury last year was a called pass play that he scrambled on. He needs to take an active role in protecting himself by sliding, running out of bounds or knowing when the ball should be thrown away.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
make no mistake. I am not comparing it to the wildcat.
Run & shoot went away because of the threat of damaging the QB with no protection. So I see the run & shoot a better reason to compare as the next big thing (to the read option) I am sure there will always be a play in there for a read option. In fact that was always around.
Also I know 10 plays isn't a huge # for as many offensive plays as far as ratio, but ten plays is a lot of plays for one type of play in a game. Hell it takes our starting RB most of the game to run 10 times LOL.
If a play is ran ten times the DCs have to worry about it twice as much. Like you said. it gets ran out of formations you already use. I am not saying I have the answer on how to stop it. I am just saying looking at History the DCs will adapt for it, successfully. Again unless the skins read options becomes the Oilers run & shoot. (the skins could be the exception to the rule)

I know if RGIII does get hurt on a read option play this coming year, you guys will have a lot of fans not so happy he was running it ten times a game! (& no I am not wishing injuries on any football players)

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do. Have already said as much. And their reasoning is a sound one. The scheme gives RG3 more time in the pocket because the defensive ends have to play run first before they come up field on a pass rush. If they don't. Morris will run right by them. You saw this first hand giving up 200 yards and 3 TDs to Morris and another TD to a one legged RG3 in the 2nd game.

And RG3's knees are much more exposed on scrambles that aren't planned runs. His knee injury last year was a called pass play that he scrambled on. He needs to take an active role in protecting himself by sliding, running out of bounds or knowing when the ball should be thrown away.

In other words he needs play like the QB who he lost the playoff game against. That is why I would take Wilson ahead of Bob because he plays smarter and doesn't take unnecessary hits.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to keep in mind though that on read option plays, 10 a game, those 10 being split between

1- RG3 keeping the ball
2- RG3 handing it to Morris
3- RG3 passing the ball, often a swing pass, or a slant.

All that is predicated on what the defense does presnap or what RG3 sees directly after the snap. So 10 a game isn't RG3 running the ball 10 times. It's a mixture. And that's why it's difficult to stop.

I'm also not sure why you are thinking the read option is just one play.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words he needs play like the QB who he lost the playoff game against. That is why I would take Wilson ahead of Bob because he plays smarter and doesn't take unnecessary hits.

The only aspect that Wilson is better than RG3, is exactly that, protecting himself and knowing when to bail, throw the ball away, slide or run out of bounds.

Which RG3 can correct.

If you'd want Wilson over RG3, you wouldn't have me fighting for Wilson. You could have him.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I think if I had to bet on which one has the sophmore slump. I would predict Wilson having it. In fact Wilson could be a one year wonder. Not saying he is gonna just turn around & suck(like Mirer did), but his rookie year might be his best.
Lets think this through.
Seattle has a punishing running game which is any QBs best friend, but especially a rookie QBs.
RGIII in my own opinion is why the skins had a running game. Not their OL. Cowboys couldn't guess correct on who to tackle to save their lives.
Seattle has one of the best defenses last year. Skins....... not so much.
Everyone knew to key on RGIII, Wilson I think came as a surprise to DCs last year. Hell he wasn't even suppose to be a starter.
Wilson lived in the perfect scenario for a rookie QB.

So if I were a betting man, Wilson slumps before RGIII. I would take RGIII all day everyday over Wilson. (don't tell skins fans I said that)
It may not be fair to say these next couple things but it is my opinion.
Seattle made Wilson better (than he might be) while RGIII made Morris better (than he might be), which in turn made the skins better.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I think if I had to bet on which one has the sophmore slump. I would predict Wilson having it. In fact Wilson could be a one year wonder. Not saying he is gonna just turn around & suck(like Mirer did), but his rookie year might be his best.
Lets think this through.
Seattle has a punishing running game which is any QBs best friend, but especially a rookie QBs.
RGIII in my own opinion is why the skins had a running game. Not their OL. Cowboys couldn't guess correct on who to tackle to save their lives.
Seattle has one of the best defenses last year. Skins....... not so much.
Everyone knew to key on RGIII, Wilson I think came as a surprise to DCs last year. Hell he wasn't even suppose to be a starter.
Wilson lived in the perfect scenario for a rookie QB.

So if I were a betting man, Wilson slumps before RGIII. I would take RGIII all day everyday over Wilson. (don't tell skins fans I said that)
It may not be fair to say these next couple things but it is my opinion.
Seattle made Wilson better (than he might be) while RGIII made Morris better (than he might be), which in turn made the skins better.

Wilson is a winner & plays with a chip on his shoulders, he has had to hear he was not good enough or to small at every level. He has the heart & that it factor you can' t teach, now Bob is no slouch, but personally I like Wilson better

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. We agree to disagree :suds: