• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Coach?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, my cautious optimism at the beginning of the season was faulty, and we are now in the middle of Michigan's third coach search in a decade.

Time to discuss! Rumors, desires, etc.

The three names I think on the top of everyone's list are Jim-John Harbuagh (okay, so I merged two names into one), Les Miles and Dan Mullen.

While I think John would be the better Harbaugh, it looks like that is a longshot at best, while Jim seems more like a plausible option. For what I've seen though the signals are mixed, the NFL people with their insiders are saying he's leaning towards staying in the NFL, but the people with Michigan insiders are saying he is signaling that he has interest in the Michigan job. So it kinda looks like he's playing both sides against the middle and will make up his own mind in due time.

I've made no bones that I would not like Miles, but there is again a lot of pressure to get him (it does seem funny for all the talk about getting rid of the "Michigan Man" label, numbers 1 and 2 on the list are "Michigan Men"). So that being said, if hired I would support the guy (as I did Rich Rod and Hoke), and worst case scenario is that because he is a big name, there would be a splash of excitement, that would pay off in recruiting for a while. So when he is exposed, the cupboard will still be well stocked for the next guy (which might work out well, giving a Harbaugh the time they need to finish their NFL coaching career).

Outside of that, the only "proven" name that Michigan realistically has a shot at is Dan Mullen. Sure, he has said nice things about Mississippi St. but it's Mississippi St. A big paycheck and a chance to coach at a blue-blood might be an offer he cannot refuse. As for how he would do? Well he did make Mississippi State competitive against the likes of Alabama and LSU, so in theory he should do better with the resources that Michigan can offer that MSU cannot.

Thoughts?

TK21775

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer Harbaugh's name stays in the mix the more I'm believing it could happen. If he wasn't interested in it you would have to believe he'd put a stop to the rumors right away and publicly say no like he did last time. I'm not a fan of Miles and even Mullen. I just hope this time Michigan has a plan in place instead of dragging out the process and settling for the 5th guy on their list. The last two coach hires they didn't seem to be prepared and just expected the first guy to say yes. The other guy I hope we don't get that's making the list is Greg Schiano, as Bucs fan I hope Michigan stays away from this guy at all costs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lloyd Carr's choice for Michigan's next choice is Jim Harbaugh. (And man is Lloyd looking old!)

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the early favorites are older coaches....Les Miles and Gary Pinkel. I would think they would target a younger guy.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: who M is going to pick, but whomever he is I hope he's a big improvement compared to what we have had for the past 8yrs

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
butch jones would like to thank you guys for getting him a raise.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but a lot of smoke coming from the Jimmy to Ann Arbor angle. Good chance there is a fire there.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh looks like the favorite down the stretch.

If for some reason he has a change of heart I think Mullens or Stoops would get a phone call. I would not be surprised if the Raiders offer a boatload of cash at the last minute to sway Harbaugh.

I have to think Harbaugh is the right guy due to all the bullshit post from OSU and MSU fans littering the threads. That uncomfortable feeling must be the fact they are worried about Harbs as the UofM coach.

Reaper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has it better then us? Huge Wolverines fan here and I'm excited where this program is headed.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: