• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newsome/O'Cain/Stinespring/Beamer should be fired thread

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Supporting evidence - nearly every game VT plays.

Show your support and observations below thanks. Let's spread the word that there is something seriously wrong with VT football and Beamer's mind

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supporting evidence - nearly every game VT plays.

Show your support and observations below thanks. Let's spread the word that there is something seriously wrong with VT football and Beamer's mind

I agree that Newsome is dead weight. OCain doesn't seem to be a good play caller, though I think a lot of Tyrod's progress was due to his coaching. Stinespring is only good for recruiting.

But to pin this game on them alone is wrong. Execution was poor, the three turnovers can't be put on the coaches. And the refs took two possessions away from us

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to identify who we would hire and see what parts of his staff he would want to bring. Nobody's job is same. I'd like to see Stiney stay as wither OL coach or recruiter, and sherman stay as WR coach. Shane too I guess.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to identify who we would hire and see what parts of his staff he would want to bring. Nobody's job is same. I'd like to see Stiney stay as wither OL coach or recruiter, and sherman stay as WR coach. Shane too I guess.

I agree, Honestly don't see us getting a lateral move from a big time program. Beamer needs to target an up and coming star OC from a (likely) non BCS conference and have him bring the ideas/play calling/and a new offensive philosophy. I think this is what is seriously lacking...the ESPN talking heads are even barking about how "vanilla" the offense is. It would be a promotion for the "said person" so I don't feel like he should have the luxury of bringing who he wants with him. We have some good coaches on the offensive side of the ball (see above:Sherman, Stiney to a degree, Shane isn't going anywhere). No doubt, Newsome should go. Despite our compounded offensive ineptitude this year, the OL has been mediocre at best since his arrival. They have been inconsistent every year. Stellar athletes in the backfield (Tyrod, Williams, Wilson, etc.) have covered up the flaws.

Once again..wouldn't bet on ANYTHING happening in the off-season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChrisColemanTSL Current rumors surrounding Tony Franklin, the OC at La Tech.

#1 in ppg in fbs.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see how you can do worse than Newsome and our OC unless you dip into the HS ranks. Even then you might stumble into a Chad Morris. Honestly how can you do worse than Newsome and the O'Cain/Stinespring combo?

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dream offensive staff for next year.

OC/QB: Mark Helfrich, current Oregon OC/QB coach
RB: Shane Beamer
WR: Kevin Sherman
TE: Bryan Stinespring
OL: Mike Bloomgren, current Stanford OL coach

Helfrich calls the plays with run game input from Bloomgren.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stiney shouldn't be part of any dream scenario!

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Beamer never made any changes in the past, then why the hell would he do it now? And I can't imagine any legit assistant coach would be crazy about coming to VT knowing Beamer only has a few years left.....unless they view it as a stepping stone. Damn!, a Tony Franklin led offense with Bud's defense and incoming players could get us back to a national title game. Our only hope is that Shane has been in Beamer's ear.....there is a very short fuse in the SEC.....you suck and you're gone.....hopefully Shane has picked this up.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Beamer never made any changes in the past, then why the hell would he do it now? And I can't imagine any legit assistant coach would be crazy about coming to VT knowing Beamer only has a few years left.....unless they view it as a stepping stone. Damn!, a Tony Franklin led offense with Bud's defense and incoming players could get us back to a national title game. Our only hope is that Shane has been in Beamer's ear.....there is a very short fuse in the SEC.....you suck and you're gone.....hopefully Shane has picked this up.

Well... we're on pace to have our worst season since 1992... So I'd say that's a pretty good reason to start making changes.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree... And that is why I am not betting on it. Now someone like Franklin (heard his name thrown around a lot the last couple months) OR Fridge are older, may not have any aspiration of being a HC. Maybe just a very nice paycheck and run at a NC with well above average players in a weak ACC (for a set number of years) may be just what they are looking for. Hell, if Franklin and Bud are chummy enough, who is to say he wouldn't be around for the long haul if he is successful.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stiney shouldn't be part of any dream scenario!

He still has a place on the staff as he is a great recruiter. Great recruiters that aren't that great of coaches end up as the TE coach. He still has value as long as he has zero input into the offensive calls during the games.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First step is firing Newsome. If we decide to hire a new OC, we should give the OC his choice of hiring whoever. I know some people would want to keep some of the staff and demote people or whatever. We shouldn't put our OC in a box to start with. Just let him do whatever he wants.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
FWIW beamer has made several changesover the years, hell Shane and cornell are only in their second year tg and sherm have both been here 6 years or less. I honestly expect changes after the season.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why would any of those guys leave their current gigs for identical positions though? oregon is closer to a natty title than we are right now, and so is stanford. it would be a lateral move for them at best and likely a slight step down.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would any of those guys leave their current gigs for identical positions though? oregon is closer to a natty title than we are right now, and so is stanford. it would be a lateral move for them at best and likely a slight step down.

Money talks. Helfrich is scheduled to make $367,583 in 2013 and if VT was to offer him $550,000-$625,000 I would imagine that would be hard to turn down. Also if his ultimate end goal is to be a head coach he could use this as a mini-audition for our job. He is from Oregon though so convincing him to leave for the east coast could be problematic.

Bloomgren is an ACC guy that is from Tallahassee and graduated from FSU in 99. Getting him to make the move back east might be easier if the price is right.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I will say is be careful what you wish for and remember who reads these threads....

Threads just like this are on every VT football forum across Hokie Nation. Thread title is a little harsh adding that Beamer should be fired, but that's Fooz for ya.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For seven games, we looked like the team had just been thrown together, and had rarely practiced. Execution terrible. Play calling archaic. Players uncertain and tentative.

All these things are symptoms of a broken coaching staff. Truth.

Finally, yesterday at least some things seemed better. We know there is talent on this team, certainly worthy of a record better than 4-4 after 8 games, which equals our worst for two decades. I would be ok with that record, if we had played great games and simply lost to better teams, but we lost to a few teams that we should have easily beat.

During the first quarter, I thought I must be dreaming. Finally, we seemed to be executing on both Offense and Defense. Two sacks on one drive. Offense chewing up yardage. Against our best opponent so far this year. Good signs.

Don't wake me up, and force me to realize this is just a dream.

The zebras did just that. A few bad calls come with every game. Well coached teams infused with confidence are capable of putting it out of their minds, and overcoming bad calls.

We weren't.

So much that is wrong with this team is mental, and the mental aspects are perhaps the easiest aspect of fixing for a good coaching staff, but our staff doesnt seem to realize its their fault.

Even a coaching staff without a great X and O's ability are capable of motivation. They are capable of recognizing uncertainty in players, and can infuse a players psyche with confidence.

Witness one old man and Duke yesterday.

Our staff is unable to even recognize this, and if they could, incapable of doing anything about it.

I would love to see Beams put on a Muschamp scowl once in a while. Its as though he doesn't get disappointed with performance anymore.

Its time for change, top down change.

You can't change things in the White House without changing the President.

As much as I respect what Frank has built at VT, its time for top down change. Nothing short of that will fix whats wrong.