• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New laptop battery won't charge

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fits right into the week I had last week.

I ordered a new Toshiba laptop with a touchscreen. It's a nice little thing...kinduva' tablet but with a passable keyboard for SportsHoopla.

The battery lasts like 7 hours...and that's good because the fucker won't charge. It knows when the A/C is plugged in and says so but the battery will not charge. It runs on battery only as well and is now down to just 15%.

So, the battery works and runs the laptop for a longtime. The battery doesn't discharge when the A/C is plugged in and Windows knows it's plugged and puts the screen in full performance mode. Everything is right but the f'in battery won't charge.

I took the battery out, plugged in the a/c, turned it on and uninstalled the battery and a/c charger...then rebooted with the battery in. Still won't werk. Resolving battery and power issues - TOSHIBA FORUMS

Anybody have this shit happen?? I'll have to send it back but that's a PITA and will take a month.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you try uninstalling the driver as suggested in the link? If that doesn't fix it then something is wrong with the hardware. I have known other Toshiba laptops to do the same thing and was never able to resolve the issue without returning the laptop.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you try uninstalling the driver as suggested in the link? If that doesn't fix it then something is wrong with the hardware. I have known other Toshiba laptops to do the same thing and was never able to resolve the issue without returning the laptop.

Yeah, I sure did the 'recalibrate the battery' thing and also uninstalled the drivers with the battery unplugged like in the link. So many posts online said that fixed the problem - but this machine is brand spankin' new out of the box and it didn't fix the problem. So, yeah...it it's hardware. When I had it opened-up to unplug the battery, all the connections look pristine and quite lovely.

So, I just went on the Toshiba help site and they said it's almost always the power chord. I don't believe that...but they're sending me a new one and asked I don't do anything harsh until trying the new one. If that doesn't work, I'll have to send it back and go through all that BS.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have documented several serious problems on these threads with my Toshiba i7 15" 12G memory, 1TB HDD laptop, from hard drive failure to keyboard and num lock failure, to a replacement hard drive that lasted 5 months then crashed, but I still have 6 more weeks on the 2 year warranty.

I had a state of the art machine, or so I thought.

Toshiba PCs are shit.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ That's what I thought. It doesn't use any battery when plugged in either. So, that doesn't make sense. Even when I turn the thing off and leave it plugged-in, the battery doesn't charge.

Kinda' crazy...how can a battery discharge normally and the laptop run on a/c properly...but the a/c never can go back into the battery?? Fuckin' sucks.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have documented several serious problems on these threads with my Toshiba i7 15" 12G memory, 1TB HDD laptop, from hard drive failure to keyboard and num lock failure, to a replacement hard drive that lasted 5 months then crashed, but I still have 6 more weeks on the 2 year warranty.

I had a state of the art machine, or so I thought.

Toshiba PCs are shit.

Well, the laptop this one replaced is a Satellite I bought in 2003 at Costco and used every day for the first 5 years and often for the next 7. The thing never ever broke until wifey yanked the chord a couple weeks ago and broke off the connection. Every key still worked...every function. How could I change brands after THAT performance?

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the laptop this one replaced is a Satellite I bought in 2003 at Costco and used every day for the first 5 years and often for the next 7. The thing never ever broke until wifey yanked the chord a couple weeks ago and broke off the connection. Every key still worked...every function. How could I change brands after THAT performance?

Post 2003, their production and quality cheapened.

In the 2015 Consumer Reports at pages 30 and 31, Toshiba Satellites are in last place at 24th overall.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Toshiba sez they're send a new battery, too. No machine will last long around this house now with 2 little ones beating the shit out of everything. So, maybe it'll fix.

Funny how things change. HP was always crap and I still hate them for their shitty printers, userus ink pricing and shitty drivers.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure were...but now i get angry when it refuses to print because one color is low or a cartridge is out of date. That makes me so f'ing mad!

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juice, when you uninstalled the driver did you follow these steps exactly?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Like I said, when it does it with Windows and Linux on the same machine it seems more like a hardware problem.

Yea if it does it on 2 separate operating systems then it would have to be one hell of a coincidence to be a driver.

Seems wild though that the computer can detect the chord, but the electricity coming from the chord isn't powering the battery. It definitely doesn't sound like an issue with the power supply.