• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New CBA

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the new CBA was approved by the players union. I generally don’t get too deep into the business aspect of this sort of thing, such as revenue sharing. The salary cap I sort of get into but even that isn’t all that interesting to me.

I do get into the stuff that affects how I view the season. And this CBA caries with it some pretty big changes.

First is the expanded playoffs: 7 teams per conference. I’m not crazy about this but I can somewhat understand why they’re doing it. Some seasons a team with a 10-6 record is outside looking in. Still, I like the playoffs they way they are. I like that the top 2 seeds get the bye, and I think the 10-6 team left out hasn’t been as common as will 8-8 teams getting in going forward (last year’s Steelers went 8-8 and would have been the 7 seed).

second is the potential for expanded schedules. From 16 to 17 games. If I’m not crazy about 14 team playoffs I absolutely hate this proposal. I cannot express enough how much I hate this idea. I’m not even going to try, I’m just going to leave it at that.

That’s about it. It’s March and in a few days we’ll have FA to talk about but for now it’s all Coronavirus and the new CBA.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think letting a 10-6 team was the driving factor behind expanded playoffs. Has more to do with why owners want 17 game seasons, $$$$.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if/when a 6-10 team will make the playoffs now that they are expanded.....

We’ve already seen a 7-9 team.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 14 team playoffs is easy to execute which is probably why that's in effect this yr. It's purely incremental revenue the owners were after and that's basically what they got...it's going to take them another 10 yrs to accomplish it, but the 18 game season is on the horizon.

Fitting in the 17th game whenever they do that will be interesting.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 14 team playoffs is easy to execute which is probably why that's in effect this yr. It's purely incremental revenue the owners were after and that's basically what they got...it's going to take them another 10 yrs to accomplish it, but the 18 game season is on the horizon.

Makes sense. The more times they are on tv the more they get in tv deals (where the big money is at) plus teams if I remember right get to keep ticket sales/merchandise sales as part of the deal so more games adds to that total. Owners when this CBA is up will have to be willing to give up probably a 50/50 split to make it happen though.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree we will have an 18 game schedule. I hope with that this comes with additional roster spots and a snap count by position.

From what I have read teams will alternate between 8 and 9 home games a year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. The more times they are on tv the more they get in tv deals (where the big money is at) plus teams if I remember right get to keep ticket sales/merchandise sales as part of the deal so more games adds to that total. Owners when this CBA is up will have to be willing to give up probably a 50/50 split to make it happen though.

Yep, I believe the owners are literally a decade ahead of the players on the CBA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we will have an 18 game schedule. I hope with that this comes with additional roster spots and a snap count by position.

I assume each DIV will rotate the extra home game, AFCE gets the 9th, N, S, W and the same in the NFC, but this is one I'll wait to see how they manage it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The other option I have heard is working to get more international games and just making one per year a neutral field for each team in the NFL.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other option I have heard is working to get more international games and just making one per year a neutral field for each team in the NFL.

I would prefer a neutral site game, if it is domestic or international.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer a neutral site game, if it is domestic or international.

I would too. If the NFL wants to make it fair for every team to stand a chance at the playoffs then playing a game at a neutral site would make that possible.