• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Never Forget

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2001 I was the Assistant Manager at the parking garages for Circle Centre Mall in downtown Indy. I was making the morning rounds (collecting the prior day's tickets & revenue, checking in the morning cashiers) when one of the cahiers came on the walking-talkie and said that a plane had crashed into one of the WTC towers. My 1st thought was that it was some small, private plane. Soon she was back on, saying that the other tower had just been hit. That is when I knew that something really big was going down.

Before long, I was called to the mall management office, where we were told the that mall was shutting down for the day. They had a big screen TV in the room, showing the news feed. That is when I REALLY appreciated the scope of the day's events.

At that same time, my immediate boss was with some folks from the parking co.'s head office, checking out a similar mall/parking garage complex, just across the river form downtown NYC in NJ. He said that they went up to the top of one of the garages and saw the smoke & debris cloud from the towers falling down.

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a hot, muggy day in Atlanta, & I was 7 mos. pregnant with my first daughter. We were giving an old fridge to charity, so I moved my car into the street to give the truck room to get into the garage. Just out of habit, I turned on the radio. Since it's weird to hear the President talking about terrorism on a rock station, I got back into the house & turned on the TV just in time to see the first plane hit Tower One. I remember patting my belly & telling the baby to stay put! Thankfully, she did.

We're in the flight path for the Atlanta airport, and it was comforting to hear planes overhead the following week. It was a step back toward normal.

Today is also my sister & brother-in-law's 15th anniversary, so our family has something to be happy about.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like a said. I believe in a Rainbow world. I remember that day Vividly.

I was getting ready for school(grade 11). My grandpa called my mom and said we were probably not going to Disneyland on September 13th. When my mom asked why he asked" are you watching the tv?". We turned on CNN( we are Canadian. Only news we trusted) and seeing it for the first time. Kinda rocks a 17 year old.

I also remember being evacuated from my school in the afternoon because of a low flying plane.

Lil off topic. This is Why i study IR and want to study counter terriorism.

So i can prevent This from ever happening again

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a cloud of dust and whatever else hovering over lower Manhattan for a good month after they went down. It looked like a storm cloud was parked over this one spot.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found out while I was at my desk at work by opening up a news website with a big red "BREAKING NEWS" banner while eating my morning Pop Tart.

I had just separated from active duty Air Force a couple months prior. I had a new job and a new house in a new town with my wife and newborn son. After the initial shock of what had just happened on a global scale, I became mortified for my own young family who potentially might lose their husband, father and provider if I got called back to active duty to help fight the bad guys. My wife was too...she immediately called me when she found out...at about the exact same time I did...when she flipped on the TV. I repeatedly tried calling my former Air Force supervisor to gauge the chances I would be re-activated. It took about six call attempts before I finally got through. He had no answers for me.

Thankfully, I never got a call from the Air Force, but I would've been ready to go if I did. ...My wife on the other hand...

One other unrelated but ironic & coincidental side note... A Visual Source Safe configuration file for a major software project I've developed and maintained is time stamped 9/11/2001 1:04 PM.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people will continue to die from this attack. It is so sad

3 former firefighters die of illnesses linked to 9/11 - CNN.com

its unbelievable they all died on the same day. RIP to these 3 firefighters

Indeed, RIP.

It is not often that we are given an opportunity to see and witness the absolute worst in humanity along with the absolute best. 9.11 was one of those rare days.

As others have posted, for me it is still possibly the single most emotional "event" I have ever experienced. Like 3riversbabe, I too was in Atlanta, working on the 27th floor of the tallest building in the city. At 9 am we were confused as to what was going on, by 10 we were told to get the hell out of the building.

For those of you too young to remember the day, I am thankful you do not. I watched the tv all day, and the next. I still watch clips like the one in the OP, and it still chokes me up and I stop breathing. It will always be heartbreaking to think of those people trapped in the towers, and the brave first responders who willingly gave their lives for others. For strangers.

Indeed, R.I.P.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we can take solace in the fact that all of these people received the health care they deserved for their service that day without anyone bickering over what they should be covered for and when.

Oh...wait.....

:L

Said it earlier this month and I'll say it again - the lack of adequate health care for 9/11 first responders is almost as great a tragedy as the event itself.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said it earlier this month and I'll say it again - the lack of adequate health care for 9/11 first responders is almost as great a tragedy as the event itself.

Some people are just so easily distracted by various arguments about whether or not the first responders illnesses were caused by the events of that day. (He smoked!) Or if some of the responders were citizens at the time.

Easy answer to either, and any other "debatable" arguments against coverage: Who the fuck cares?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, RIP.

It is not often that we are given an opportunity to see and witness the absolute worst in humanity along with the absolute best. 9.11 was one of those rare days.

As others have posted, for me it is still possibly the single most emotional "event" I have ever experienced. Like 3riversbabe, I too was in Atlanta, working on the 27th floor of the tallest building in the city. At 9 am we were confused as to what was going on, by 10 we were told to get the hell out of the building.

For those of you too young to remember the day, I am thankful you do not. I watched the tv all day, and the next. I still watch clips like the one in the OP, and it still chokes me up and I stop breathing. It will always be heartbreaking to think of those people trapped in the towers, and the brave first responders who willingly gave their lives for others. For strangers.

Indeed, R.I.P.

well said. Can you direct me to the bolded clips you refer to thank you.