• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Never Forget

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 years...and it still stings.

9/11: The 25 Most Powerful Photos

[YOUTUBE]gPHnadJ-0hE[/YOUTUBE]

I find it therapeutic to sort of read/hear stories of people's memories of that day. Mine aren't much of anything, but they can illustrate a loss of innocence to a degree. I was 10 years old, in the 5th grade. They, probably rightfully so, told us nothing. However, we were ticked because outdoor recess was cancelled, and many of us jealous as dozens of classmates were picked up early from school. Thinking back, there was never more parents waiting for their kids at the bus-stop, and never more hugs. God bless you parents from that day...I can't imagine having to handle such a situation with young children. My mom had to explain to her 10 year old what terrorism was. That had to simply be awful. I also remember being worried about my dad, and convincing myself that the plane that crashed in Somerset was bound for Pittsburgh. So I rode my bike outside my house for an hour waiting for him to get home.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never-forget-9-11.jpg

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 11 when this happened.

Something I'll never forget. I can recall most of that day pretty easily, like it was yesterday. The attacks happened before my school bus came, so I was still inside and my mom always watched Good Morning America, so that's where we watched everything that happened. I can remember my dad saying very little, he was getting ready for work and pretty much stopped everything and stood there watching.

That's the day that decided my career field that I'm getting into now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a freshman in college and I was in the middle of the hallway when everyone started running into their rooms and yelling "OMG, Turn on the TV, the Towers are hit!"

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never forget RIP all on that day and those since

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before but still one of the creepiest memories I have, there are 2 train stations that everyone in my area takes to NYC and in each parking lot there were 3 or 4 cars that just sat there for a month afterward, collecting leaves and not moving, and everybody knew that whoever they belonged to weren't coming to pick them up.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passed 2 firehouses walking to work today. Both houses had all their guys out front in dress uniforms. I stopped and gave them an ovation and everyone around me joined in.

Both houses have memorials of the firefighters they lost. It's a reminder for me everyday

And also don't forget the firefighters and police who lost their lives since. In the aftermath hundreds were rushed through the academies to fill the spots from the loss of life and those who retired or got sick. Many were promoted although not fully experienced and it cost lives although we don't equate those loses with 9/11.

Never forget

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before but still one of the creepiest memories I have, there are 2 train stations that everyone in my area takes to NYC and in each parking lot there were 3 or 4 cars that just sat there for a month afterward, collecting leaves and not moving, and everybody knew that whoever they belonged to weren't coming to pick them up.

this never stops giving me chills.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9/11/01:

I was living in Howard Beach, Queens (NYC) at the time. I remember the intense rain the night before with thunder and lightning. It was really intense. I awoke on the 11th (it was a Tuesday morning) at 5 a.m. had a cup of coffee in the darkness, checked the winds, kissed my kids, grabbed my board and keys and headed for the Rockaways to surf. I remember the sky driving south down Crossbay Blvd. starting to brim with light. I pulled over at the Bagel shop; pumpernickel bagel extra butter and a coffee. I remember arriving at 86th street, Rockaway and hearing the thump of waves. Flags showing winds dead out of the north, cleaning up the ocean into lines of corduroy. Sand was cool to the touch, water was warm at first light.
I remember catching waves and the intense sunrise and feeling so alive. I can remember thinking this was going to be a gorgeous September day. I remember reminding myself to get out soon; debating to call out sick and bail or just say I would be late. I just remember these incredible blue skies, drenching sunshine and visibility for what seemed to be forever. Water was crystal clear. My A friend came out to surf and he told me it was after 8 to move my ass and get to my 9 to 5. I took a wave in, walked up the beach, across the boardwalk, looked back at my buddy threw him a shocka (thinking what a day), tossed my crap in the car and headed over the Cross Bay Bridge to home. Ran through the shower, threw the suit on and was walking towards the subway in the infectious sunshine. I skipped the bus that day instead choosing to walk the 1/2 mile to the A train.

My cell blows up: In succession; one in back of the other: Mom, my wife, all three of my brothers, then my sister, then all my FDNY/NYPD childhood buddies. "Where are you?" "Are you downtown?"

That was it. World shattered.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passed 2 firehouses walking to work today. Both houses had all their guys out front in dress uniforms. I stopped and gave them an ovation and everyone around me joined in.

Both houses have memorials of the firefighters they lost. It's a reminder for me everyday

And also don't forget the firefighters and police who lost their lives since. In the aftermath hundreds were rushed through the academies to fill the spots from the loss of life and those who retired or got sick. Many were promoted although not fully experienced and it cost lives although we don't equate those loses with 9/11.

Never forget

The lack of adequate care for first responders since then is on par of a tragedy as the event itself to me.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9/11/01:

I was living in Howard Beach, Queens (NYC) at the time. I remember the intense rain the night before with thunder and lightning. It was really intense. I awoke on the 11th (it was a Tuesday morning) at 5 a.m. had a cup of coffee in the darkness, checked the winds, kissed my kids, grabbed my board and keys and headed for the Rockaways to surf. I remember the sky driving south down Crossbay Blvd. starting to brim with light. I pulled over at the Bagel shop; pumpernickel bagel extra butter and a coffee. I remember arriving at 86th street, Rockaway and hearing the thump of waves. Flags showing winds dead out of the north, cleaning up the ocean into lines of corduroy. Sand was cool to the touch, water was warm at first light.
I remember catching waves and the intense sunrise and feeling so alive. I can remember thinking this was going to be a gorgeous September day. I remember reminding myself to get out soon; debating to call out sick and bail or just say I would be late. I just remember these incredible blue skies, drenching sunshine and visibility for what seemed to be forever. Water was crystal clear. My A friend came out to surf and he told me it was after 8 to move my ass and get to my 9 to 5. I took a wave in, walked up the beach, across the boardwalk, looked back at my buddy threw him a shocka (thinking what a day), tossed my crap in the car and headed over the Cross Bay Bridge to home. Ran through the shower, threw the suit on and was walking towards the subway in the infectious sunshine. I skipped the bus that day instead choosing to walk the 1/2 mile to the A train.

My cell blows up: In succession; one in back of the other: Mom, my wife, all three of my brothers, then my sister, then all my FDNY/NYPD childhood buddies. "Where are you?" "Are you downtown?"

That was it. World shattered.

This consummated with memorial after memorial, funeral after funeral, bookended with my house becoming the crash pad for those that worked the pile. The wife feeding them, giving them a place to rest. I will always remember the stench, the daily sight of the smoldering smoke in the air, and holding guys up literally who were two times my size as they sobbed uncontrollably.

I have never gone back. Saw it once, brought there by my buddy who needed a lift home to my place. I left the city in 07/08. They say the memorial is beautiful. My kids want to return, but I don't know if I ever will. I lost too many friends, co-workers, former colleagues, saw the guilt and damages incurred by the survivors. This day, and the days pre and post 9/11 are a hump I just never get over. Every year its the same funk after Labor Day.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As 43, comeds and some of the other "old time" ESPN posters know my office was on the 96th Floor of 1WTC. It was really by a whole series of odd events that I was late that morning.

Please those of you who are praying folks do pray for the families of those murdered that day as they live with it each day, but today is especially hard. If you are not...send good thought there way

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was getting ready for work and had just stepped out of the shower and the phone was ringing. Ran to get it and my dad was on the line. He was sitting on the beltway in DC and was listening to NPR and had heard about the first plane that hit the WTC and I turned on the TV and they were showing a live shot of the first tower when the second aircraft was approaching. *Chills*

I will never forget that memory. It is branded in my brain. Prayers to all that passed away that day, and prayers to those who are still in the living that live with the memory. :rip:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As 43, comeds and some of the other "old time" ESPN posters know my office was on the 96th Floor of 1WTC. It was really by a whole series of odd events that I was late that morning.

Please those of you who are praying folks do pray for the families of those murdered that day as they live with it each day, but today is especially hard. If you are not...send good thought there way

I think about you every anniversary. Crazy how all of the weird coincidences happened for you, but thank goodness they did. I still can't wrap my head around it. I know I will never even begin to imagine how you feel.

For me, I just remember my office off to the side of a 1000 seat call center, I was in there working and the "buzz" that usually accompanied the call center just stopped. It was noticeable. I came out to see everyone standing around staring at the TVs. Just in time for #2. Then over the next hours, seeing the National Guard come and surround our building (Cable company, we were classified as a high value target), trying to reach my cousin who was a pilot (He was in line to take off at LaGuardia and saw it happen right in front of him. Then sat on the tarmac for 3 hours wondering who was on the other side of the door - he only flies cargo now). And of course checking in with my little online community when we came to realize one of us worked there. Walking outside and hearing the Jets scramble from Martin's or Aberdeen every once in a while breaking the eerie silence of the skies.

And I had to try and explain to kindergartner what had happened. All she kept asking was why. Why did it have to happen.

I still don't really know the answer to that.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holy crap man, I never knew your office was there.

Sidenote:
The Falling Man (<---great read here by the way)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember vividly my cock of a boss came up to me that morning and said why the long face, I said have you not watched the news. he said yes, bad day to be in that office eh lets get to work.

I hated that fucker before that seeped away there and turned to seething disgust, it was one of the biggest events of the world and he just felt it was more important to get a meeting going about something no one would remember in 2 hours.

Ill always take time on this day to remember and send good thoughts to everyone

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think about you every anniversary. Crazy how all of the weird coincidences happened for you, but thank goodness they did. I still can't wrap my head around it. I know I will never even begin to imagine how you feel.

For me, I just remember my office off to the side of a 1000 seat call center, I was in there working and the "buzz" that usually accompanied the call center just stopped. It was noticeable. I came out to see everyone standing around staring at the TVs. Just in time for #2. Then over the next hours, seeing the National Guard come and surround our building (Cable company, we were classified as a high value target), trying to reach my cousin who was a pilot (He was in line to take off at LaGuardia and saw it happen right in front of him. Then sat on the tarmac for 3 hours wondering who was on the other side of the door - he only flies cargo now). And of course checking in with my little online community when we came to realize one of us worked there. Walking outside and hearing the Jets scramble from Martin's or Aberdeen every once in a while breaking the eerie silence of the skies.

And I had to try and explain to kindergartner what had happened. All she kept asking was why. Why did it have to happen.

I still don't really know the answer to that.

Again, I commend you. What an impossible situation for a parent.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I commend you. What an impossible situation for a parent.

Then, a few weeks later, seeing the Iraq attacks on the breaking news coverage she asked "How are mommies and daddies keeping the kids safe there?"

She's a teenager now. The questions have not gotten easier.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then, a few weeks later, seeing the Iraq attacks on the breaking news coverage she asked "How are mommies and daddies keeping the kids safe there?"

She's a teenager now. The questions have not gotten easier.

Yeah, now she's a mini-adult, the questions are just in her head like the rest of us.