• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need to rewrite the stick slashing rule

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times do we have to hear the game commentators say that the stick slashing penalty is ridiculous when everyone, outside the board of directors, knows it is silly.

Slashing a stick is and should be considered, a hockey tactic. If you can knock the stick out of an opponent's hands, good for you. Except now it gets an automatic 2 minutes. Even worse is when the stick breaks at the flex point. That's what the sticks are designed to do.

A slashing penalty should be called for slashing a part of the player's body. Hands, forearms, thighs, etc., are all appropriate calls, and what the rule was originally intended for.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certain occasions when a player lightly taps an opponent's stick and you see the ref's arm go up and you think "Man, that's a weak call". That said, if you slash an opponent's stick and it breaks, I think that's gotta be a penalty, especially if it takes away a scoring opportunity. Even if it's in the defensive zone when a slash breaks a stick, that's a big advantage for the attacking team.

As with most calls, it's up to the ref's judgment which is always going to be problematic.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times do we have to hear the game commentators say that the stick slashing penalty is ridiculous when everyone, outside the board of directors, knows it is silly.

Slashing a stick is and should be considered, a hockey tactic. If you can knock the stick out of an opponent's hands, good for you. Except now it gets an automatic 2 minutes. Even worse is when the stick breaks at the flex point. That's what the sticks are designed to do.

A slashing penalty should be called for slashing a part of the player's body. Hands, forearms, thighs, etc., are all appropriate calls, and what the rule was originally intended for.

I look at it like the "played with a high stick" rule. It was put in there to discourage dangerous play regardless of whether or not contact is made.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about a new "slash in the bank" rule?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it like the "played with a high stick" rule. It was put in there to discourage dangerous play regardless of whether or not contact is made.

yah i would foresee many more (than there already are with how refs miss slashes) hand and wrist injuries as players try and chop down on sticks.

/and im just imagining this being allowed in minor hockey. lol. Last year a kid on my sons team had his jetspeed stick (ignore the fact his dad bought him a $300 stick or maybe dont because alot of parents do it lol) broken on a slash and there was a lot of tears and anger