• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need advice on my swing

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a tendency to swing over the top. I know one of the flaws in my swing is that at the top of the back swing, my right elbow doesn't point towards the ground. The problem is I can't rotate my shoulder enough to allow my elbow to get in the correct position.

This weekend I hit the range and tried keeping my right tricep close to my body, it seemed to straighten out my drives and gave me a few more yards off the tee.

Anyone else have shoulder problems and what do you do to compensate?
Make sure you complete your backswing. You don't have to go back really far, just so that there is a transition between your backswing and the downswing and it must, absolutely must, start with the hips leading the downswing, not the arms.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decided to break down and get a lesson from the club pro...and now my swing is really fucked up...too much to remember.

I always thought I didn't use enough wrist in my swing, evidently I use too much, especially in the beginning of the take away. Working on no wrist movement until the club is at waist height in the backs wing...and also making sure to toe of the club isn't pointed straight up as I had been taught, but slightly closed. When I do it correctly, I do make better contact resulting in a straighter and longer shot with my irons.

As far as the driver goes, I was fitted at Golf Galaxy with a driver that had a closed face, with the adjustment in my swing, the only thing I can hit now is a hook. Unfortunately the driver can't be adjusted, so after another lesson i might need to go somewhere...not Golf Galaxy, and get fitted with another driver.

Funny thing is, I used my wife's driver a few times and even though I couldn't control it because it's as flexible as a wet noodle, I was hitting it farther than my driver.

At least I'm not coming over the top now.

Practice...practice...practice.

There you go.

That's exactly what I did, and exactly why I shut it down (playing) for a few weeks while I was working on the changes...I was all over the place, but after about 5 or 6 days of 100 air swings, and another week or so of 150+ balls a day...I was at least getting the hang of it...and felt comfortable enough to take it back to the course...it paid off for me.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...not only must the club shaft be on plane when it's parallel to the ground on the back swing with a slightly closed face, the same is true on the follow through....I'll be damned if I can have the shaft pointing down the target line that late in the swing, and when I do, the club face is open.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a 3 handicap and have struggled over the years with coming over the top. I was able to solve this issue by getting the club a little more upright when I take my stance, and then picking out a point about 15 inches behind the ball and 15 inches in front of the ball and imagining my club head passing over both of those.

Imargining my swing plane before and after impact has helped me immensely. I also try to get a nice high finish. This discourages coming over he top where as your finish would be shallow and would turn hard left around your body.

Just going back to the basics sometimes is the best way.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that I learned from a pro....

Forget about where your club is at in your back swing or at the top of your swing and all the little things in between.

The only thing that matters is if the club is on plane immediately before impact. That's why I say pick out a spot on the ground in front of and behind the ball and just imagine your club going right over that path. It's so important.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good drill for that is to put tees down in front of and behind the ball and then don't take a full swing. Grab a 7-iron and just chip a bucket of balls out there about 70 yards or so. Gradually lengthen your swing, but start out short so you can just focus on that swing path.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I've had a few lessons, the club pro wanted me to replace my driver because it has a closed face and now i damn near hook the thing.

Went for a fitting and ended up with a PING G 12 degree, which I'm surprised at because i have a high launch and i wanted to bring it down. Also went with a Project X HZRDUS shaft, stiff with a high kick point.

My average distance for my old driver was 218yds, this combination gives me 251yds.

So I take it out to the course yesterday hoping I'll see an immediate improvement and I slice it into the pond...during the entire fitting I didn't hit a slice with any club...I was highly bummed.

Next hole, 302yds down the middle...wind aided, but so was the slice...or heavy fade.

I still hit the ball with a descending blow (-1.8 to -4.8), so I'm hoping when i get that flaw corrected, I'll see an even bigger improvement in distance.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went for a fitting and ended up with a PING G 12 degree, which I'm surprised at because i have a high launch and i wanted to bring it down. Also went with a Project X HZRDUS shaft, stiff with a high kick point.

I've heard that most of us aren't using enough loft on our woods. Companies keep trying to sell us 9- and 10-degree drivers but those work best when you have an extremely high swing speed.

I know my swing speed is less than 100, probably less than 90, so I want that extry loft.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that most of us aren't using enough loft on our woods. Companies keep trying to sell us 9- and 10-degree drivers but those work best when you have an extremely high swing speed.

I know my swing speed is less than 100, probably less than 90, so I want that extry loft.

When I got my last club, Golf Galaxy had my swing speed in the mid 80's. Yesterday Totally Driven had my lowest at 93 and highest at 101. Average for the club I purchased was 98.7.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I got my last club, Golf Galaxy had my swing speed in the mid 80's. Yesterday Totally Driven had my lowest at 93 and highest at 101. Average for the club I purchased was 98.7.

Wow, that's a big difference...if that happened to me, I would suspect that somebody's machine was off.

I was hitting drivers in a golfsmith once and their machine was telling me I was hitting it 270, 260, 280. I never actually hit it that far. Some other guy in the store took a few swings and said he thought it was high, too. Of course, the sales guy tried to tell us that it was the new drivers that were making the difference. I said, "hold on...let me go get my club and hit a few" and he drifted away.