• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst Fired

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I was hoping Eichorst would hang around and make another totally stupid hire.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I was hoping Eichorst would hang around and make another totally stupid hire.

You're hopes >>>>>>
Ze1fB9c.gif
<<<< What we done did!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. We ain't too far behind it seems
tenor.gif
Good point

Go fire Riley RIGHT GOD DAMNED NOW and get first dibs on any quality candidates before some of the other schools start putting their feelers out.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I attached an ESPN Insider article by Adam Rittenburg and Mitch Sherman. Here the first part of the article.

Can Mike Riley fix what's wrong with Nebraska?

Nebraska's 21-17 loss to Northern Illinois on Saturday isn't the only recent blow that one of college football's ex-heavyweight champions has absorbed.

But it felt different. It inspired different emotions in Lincoln, and not simply pain. Despite being just the Huskers' third game, it raised bigger questions about the team, head coach Mike Riley (16-13 in two plus seasons), athletic director Shawn Eichorst and the program as a whole. Perhaps the biggest question is the broadest: What is Nebraska football right now?

We dissect the situation in Lincoln and what could be coming next.

Mitch Sherman: This is the low moment in the past 10 years. It hearkens back to 2007, when Nebraska had that disastrous final season under Bill Callahan, and Steve Pederson, the athletic director, was let go in the middle of the year after the Huskers got blown out at home by Oklahoma State. Tom Osborne had no choice by the end of the season but to fire Callahan and bring in Bo Pelini. Nothing that happened under Pelini on the field was as bad, when you consider the opponent, as what happened Saturday.

From that point of view, it's pretty alarming because there have been a lot of bad things that have happened at Nebraska over the past decade. And it was illustrated by what happened after the game with athletic director Shawn Eichorst, who is normally under a shield of darkness, offering himself to the media and basically telling the state and the fan base that this is it, everyone has to take responsibility.

Adam Rittenberg: It was a bad week for Eichorst and Nebraska. This week began with the news that Riley had another year tacked onto his contract. Kind of a quiet thing, maybe just for recruiting purposes, but still raises that question of, why are you worried about losing Mike Riley, at his age (64) and given what he has done at Nebraska? Are you just throwing bad money out there?

And then you had Eichorst having to backpedal on the whole Black Friday games issue with the Big Ten schedule. And then this loss. We heard more from Eichorst this week than any other time in his tenure as AD. The hard thing for Eichorst is that unlike many other athletic directors, he is so attached to Riley because of the way things ended with Pelini.

Attachments

• ESPN.pdf
    288.3 KB · Views: 0

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely fucking amazing, we are literally 3 weeks into september!!! we can get first dibs on just about anybody who can be bought :D

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday the sports goons on 1620 were talking about cursive handwriting! what an awesome improvement on the air right now :D

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I attached an ESPN Insider article by Adam Rittenburg and Mitch Sherman. Here the first part of the article.

Nebraska's 21-17 loss to Northern Illinois on Saturday isn't the only recent blow that one of college football's ex-heavyweight champions has absorbed.

But it felt different. It inspired different emotions in Lincoln, and not simply pain. Despite being just the Huskers' third game, it raised bigger questions about the team, head coach Mike Riley (16-13 in two plus seasons), athletic director Shawn Eichorst and the program as a whole. Perhaps the biggest question is the broadest: What is Nebraska football right now?

Mitch Sherman: This is the low moment in the past 10 years. It hearkens back to 2007, when Nebraska had that disastrous final season under Bill Callahan, and Steve Pederson, the athletic director, was let go in the middle of the year after the Huskers got blown out at home by Oklahoma State. Tom Osborne had no choice by the end of the season but to fire Callahan and bring in Bo Pelini. Nothing that happened under Pelini on the field was as bad, when you consider the opponent, as what happened Saturday.

From that point of view, it's pretty alarming because there have been a lot of bad things that have happened at Nebraska over the past decade. And it was illustrated by what happened after the game with athletic director Shawn Eichorst, who is normally under a shield of darkness, offering himself to the media and basically telling the state and the fan base that this is it, everyone has to take responsibility.

Adam Rittenberg: It was a bad week for Eichorst and Nebraska. This week began with the news that Riley had another year tacked onto his contract. Kind of a quiet thing, maybe just for recruiting purposes, but still raises that question of, why are you worried about losing Mike Riley, at his age (64) and given what he has done at Nebraska? Are you just throwing bad money out there?

And then you had Eichorst having to backpedal on the whole Black Friday games issue with the Big Ten schedule. And then this loss. We heard more from Eichorst this week than any other time in his tenure as AD. The hard thing for Eichorst is that unlike many other athletic directors, he is so attached to Riley because of the way things ended with Pelini.
ESPiN?
:ban:

:heh:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I find this true from the article

Sherman: There's a little bit of bitter irony for Nebraska. The talent level is clearly not at the place where it needs to be for the program to succeed in the model that they have set up. For a lot of people around this program, and people who spent time following recruiting, the stark reality is the way Nebraska can win is to have an identity in the mold that Wisconsin does and Iowa does. Those programs are so similar. Both of them know themselves so well. If you were to ask me, What's the biggest problem at Nebraska in football, it's that Nebraska doesn't know who it is or really what it wants to be. That could not be further from the situation in Madison or Iowa City.
You see Hayden Fry influence with Wisconsin (Alvaraz) and Iowa (Ferentz). Should Nebraska find something similar with Tom Osborne's influence?

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find this true from the article

Sherman: There's a little bit of bitter irony for Nebraska. The talent level is clearly not at the place where it needs to be for the program to succeed in the model that they have set up. For a lot of people around this program, and people who spent time following recruiting, the stark reality is the way Nebraska can win is to have an identity in the mold that Wisconsin does and Iowa does. Those programs are so similar. Both of them know themselves so well. If you were to ask me, What's the biggest problem at Nebraska in football, it's that Nebraska doesn't know who it is or really what it wants to be. That could not be further from the situation in Madison or Iowa City.
You see Hayden Fry influence with Wisconsin (Alvaraz) and Iowa (Ferentz). Should Nebraska find something similar with Tom Osborne's influence?
That is one reason Scott Frost's name keeps coming up and im more on board with that idea even though it is a lil bit of a gamble since no games have been played since the hurricane

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously.....Chip Kelly?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one reason Scott Frost's name keeps coming up and im more on board with that idea even though it is a lil bit of a gamble since no games have been played since the hurricane

I don't really know much about him. From Wikipedia, it seems like a good defensive guy. IMO, the next HC should put a lot of emphasis on the DL, and make Blackshirts mean something again. That was one thing when I first went to York in 2004, the Blackshirts were special to Nebraska. Now, it seems like it isn't a thing anymore.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Riley will probably get fired next, since he won 9 games last year.

3-7 in his last 10 games.
I honestly didn't realize it was that bad.
Alcohol helps. A LOT

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really know much about him. From Wikipedia, it seems like a good defensive guy. IMO, the next HC should put a lot of emphasis on the DL, and make Blackshirts mean something again. That was one thing when I first went to York in 2004, the Blackshirts were special to Nebraska. Now, it seems like it isn't a thing anymore.
Yea Blackshirts have been a participation trophy for quite a while. High time they earn them rather than just be given out like ice packs.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at 'tards who cling to "expectations!!!"

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They put a hurting on FIU in 1 game so far this year. Think he had a losing record last year though. 5-7?

He went (6-6) regular season, then lost the bowl, so (6-7).

UCF was (0-12) the previous season.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Nebraska back. I've always liked their program and college football, is more entertaining, when Nebraska and the Black Shirts are good

Meh I dunno man, I like NU too but watching their fans squirm through garbage football teams....pretty dagum entertaining too..:dhd:

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went (6-6) regular season, then lost the bowl, so (6-7).

UCF was (0-12) the previous season.
I looked at some results from last year. He had some close losses to good teams.