• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ndamukong Suh to sign with Fins

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice recover Dumler but I rest my case.....

" Yes they won't be able to do a ton of signing after this season"

That is taken out of context when reading the rest of it. The Dolphins if they wanted just looking at the top FA's for next year could sign all of Justin Houston, D. Thomas, Von Miller, and Marcell Dareus. Those are 4 huge names but they could design all the contracts in a similar fashion to that of Suh's and just have the big cap hits at later times. So they could have Houston's in the 2nd year, Thomas' in the 3rd year, Miller's in the 4th year, and Dareus to have his big cap hit in the 5th year. Now obviously I would not recommend a team do this as in some sense you are putting all your eggs in the basket of just a few players but at this point the Dolphins only have the one major contract. Would you say the Packers are going to struggle because they have Aaron Rodgers locked up to a big contract? Throw in the Cap is supposed to explode over the next few years to the point of possibly $180 million. Right now $20 million a year is just under 1/7th of a team's cap. So in a matter of just a few years the cap percentage for that of Suh will be like that of a contract in the $15.5 million range right now. So we are talking he will be more like the 6th-10th highest paid player of his position by that point in just a couple of years.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is taken out of context when reading the rest of it. The Dolphins if they wanted just looking at the top FA's for next year could sign all of Justin Houston, D. Thomas, Von Miller, and Marcell Dareus. Those are 4 huge names but they could design all the contracts in a similar fashion to that of Suh's and just have the big cap hits at later times. So they could have Houston's in the 2nd year, Thomas' in the 3rd year, Miller's in the 4th year, and Dareus to have his big cap hit in the 5th year. Now obviously I would not recommend a team do this as in some sense you are putting all your eggs in the basket of just a few players but at this point the Dolphins only have the one major contract. Would you say the Packers are going to struggle because they have Aaron Rodgers locked up to a big contract? Throw in the Cap is supposed to explode over the next few years to the point of possibly $180 million. Right now $20 million a year is just under 1/7th of a team's cap. So in a matter of just a few years the cap percentage for that of Suh will be like that of a contract in the $15.5 million range right now. So we are talking he will be more like the 6th-10th highest paid player of his position by that point in just a couple of years.
Dumler, you are a good poster but I'm not going to read all that!
You made your argument and I made mine and I'm done. I rest my case on your statements:
"Now obviously I would not recommend a team do this"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumler, you are a good poster but I'm not going to read all that!
You made your argument and I made mine and I'm done. I rest my case on your statements:
"Now obviously I would not recommend a team do this"

Again taking me out of context. I would not recommend a team sign a ton of players to huge contracts but 1 or 2 is just fine. Heck most teams in the league do have that. The Patriots have their top-5 Cap Hits for this next year taking up over 1/3rd of the Cap just with 5 players. It is about the same for the Dolphins for this upcoming season. So again you can sign a couple of big contracts and still be a very competitive team. Again for next season they already have 35 players signed for the 2016 season. Throw in another 7 or so draft picks they will get this year and that takes them to 42 players signed for next season. That means only 11 actual spots open on the roster for the 2016 season. Throw in another 7 draft picks and that takes them to 49. That leaves 4 actual roster spots open for the 2016 season. My guess is they sign Tannehil and Pouncey back. So now we are down to 2 spots. I think they should be fine to make a couple of depth FA signings or resign a couple of other players from their FA group. All of this is without actually including any of their RFA's that they can sign for cheap which my guess is they will have 4-5 of those. So again they won't need to make a ton of signings after this season.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again taking me out of context. I would not recommend a team sign a ton of players to huge contracts but 1 or 2 is just fine. Heck most teams in the league do have that. The Patriots have their top-5 Cap Hits for this next year taking up over 1/3rd of the Cap just with 5 players. It is about the same for the Dolphins for this upcoming season. So again you can sign a couple of big contracts and still be a very competitive team. Again for next season they already have 35 players signed for the 2016 season. Throw in another 7 or so draft picks they will get this year and that takes them to 42 players signed for next season. That means only 11 actual spots open on the roster for the 2016 season. Throw in another 7 draft picks and that takes them to 49. That leaves 4 actual roster spots open for the 2016 season. My guess is they sign Tannehil and Pouncey back. So now we are down to 2 spots. I think they should be fine to make a couple of depth FA signings or resign a couple of other players from their FA group. All of this is without actually including any of their RFA's that they can sign for cheap which my guess is they will have 4-5 of those. So again they won't need to make a ton of signings after this season.
Ok, Dumler - you win. Signing Suh to a $114 million dollar contract was the smartest thing the Dolphins could do with their money. Really? Your explanation sounds like a vacuum cleaner salesman making his pitch!
Dumler! I'm not buying it!!!!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, Dumler - you win. Signing Suh to a $114 million dollar contract was the smartest thing the Dolphins could do with their money. Really? Your explanation sounds like a vacuum cleaner salesman making his pitch!
Dumler! I'm not buying it!!!!!

And that is fine. You have every right to not buy it. I'm not saying it was the best use of the Dolphins money. Maybe they could have done a couple of other things with it that could have maximized that money. Maybe they can get 4 good players for the price of Suh and those players then make a bigger impact. The Dolphins definitely put a little more into one basket in hoping that it works out. Suh is a game-changer which there are only a handful of defensive players that fall into that category. It is definitely a risk what the Dolphins have done but there are only a handful of other defensive players that I would have taken over Suh to take that kind of risk with. Only time will tell how much this helps or hurts them as a team.