• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Playoff Sites, Can't Make this UP

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone on the Selection Committee ever take a Geography Class. This has nothing to do with which Region to put a team (for seeding purposes) but where the games are played.
1st Round of the South Region, Location Boise , ID Teams: Kentucky, Davidson, Buffalo, and reasonably Arizona.
But wait, it gets worse.
1st Round of the East Region, Location San Diego, CA, West Virginia, Murray State, Wichita State, and Marshall. For good measure, in an effort to reduce fan attendance, Cal State Fullerton plays in Detroit.
Don't have to change the teams, could they not just have flipped the locations.
Is the Selection Committee crazy? A Rhetorical question.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did that on purpose 10 or 15 years ago.

It was done for attendance for the top seeds, that get placed in a different region.

'Zona is in the South so they moved that close to them. It always affected ticket
sales when a team from across the country, as a high seed, was placed in a different
area of the country. The NCAA Is just trying to sell tickets for the 1st weekend games.

I've always liked the way the NAIA does it. Take 32 teams and they all play for a week
and a half at one location. (Kansas City)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a bit of tension between wanting to sell tickets to early-round games, and giving a high seed what amounts to a home-court advantage.

People lost their shit last year when South Carolina was put in a region that was about 50 miles from home, and lost it further when they eventually became a final four team - and they were a 7 seed

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davidson (near Charlotte) and Kentucky playing each other in Boise, Idaho is hilarious

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Davidson. Kentucky brings 10,000 wherever they play.

It is hilarious from a geographical point-of-view, regardless how many fans UK brings to the game.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK better watch out

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did that on purpose 10 or 15 years ago.

It was done for attendance for the top seeds, that get placed in a different region.

'Zona is in the South so they moved that close to them. It always affected ticket
sales when a team from across the country, as a high seed, was placed in a different
area of the country. The NCAA Is just trying to sell tickets for the 1st weekend games.

I've always liked the way the NAIA does it. Take 32 teams and they all play for a week
and a half at one location. (Kansas City)
The highest seeded team in Boise is Arizona, but let's face, Tucson is about 900 miles form Boise.
And Boise is a million miles from the other schools.
My point is that the teams could stay exactly as they are, but the Boise location and Wichita site could swap places. Wichita is only 700 miles from Arizona.
The teams could all stay the same, but sites should be located in their respective regions.
The more you look at the location the more goofy it gets.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The highest seeded team in Boise is Arizona, but let's face, Tucson is about 900 miles form Boise.
And Boise is a million miles from the other schools.
My point is that the teams could stay exactly as they are, but the Boise location and Wichita site could swap places. Wichita is only 700 miles from Arizona.
The teams could all stay the same, but sites should be located in their respective regions.
The more you look at the location the more goofy it gets.

Then you would almost have to name seeds by region.

Again, that's why they made the change. You name a West team a #2 seed and put them
in the East...the damn 15 seed will be close to having the home court advantage.

This goes on every year.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you would almost have to name seeds by region.

Again, that's why they made the change. You name a West team a #2 seed and put them
in the East...the damn 15 seed will be close to having the home court advantage.

This goes on every year.
But even with my thought, no #2 seed is traveling very far. Duke as a # has the longest trip, 350 miles to Pittsburgh. All the ones are very close to their opening round sites, as it should be. But these 4,5,6 seeds traveling cross country is my issue. And of course , don't forget class time.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could do it like the Womennzzzzzzzzzz and play at home sites in first round.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But even with my thought, no #2 seed is traveling very far. Duke as a # has the longest trip, 350 miles to Pittsburgh. All the ones are very close to their opening round sites, as it should be. But these 4,5,6 seeds traveling cross country is my issue. And of course , don't forget class time.

Listen I would be fine with one site and bring all 68 of them there. It would make for some long days.
The round of 64 would have to be 4 days long. (8 games a day). But you could get it over with in
less than two weeks.

I don't really care, myself, I was just replying on why they did this.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone on the Selection Committee ever take a Geography Class. This has nothing to do with which Region to put a team (for seeding purposes) but where the games are played.
1st Round of the South Region, Location Boise , ID Teams: Kentucky, Davidson, Buffalo, and reasonably Arizona.
But wait, it gets worse.
1st Round of the East Region, Location San Diego, CA, West Virginia, Murray State, Wichita State, and Marshall. For good measure, in an effort to reduce fan attendance, Cal State Fullerton plays in Detroit.
Don't have to change the teams, could they not just have flipped the locations.
Is the Selection Committee crazy? A Rhetorical question.

The top 4 seeds get preferential treatment. If you're a 5 seed or worse you're shit out of luck. The regions are called what they are based on Regional semi's and finals, not because of the Pod system.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top 4 seeds get preferential treatment. If you're a 5 seed or worse you're shit out of luck. The regions are called what they are based on Regional semi's and finals, not because of the Pod system.

The only way to ever get away from that would be to select sites after selecting the 68.

The sites are named a year or two in advance. You'd play hell trying to get tickets
prepared and sites set-up with two days notice.

The only other way would be to limit each region to 16 geographical teams. 16 from the
East, 16 from the South, 16 from the West and 16 from the Midwest. Nobody would
like that.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way to ever get away from that would be to select sites after selecting the 68.

The sites are named a year or two in advance. You'd play hell trying to get tickets
prepared and sites set-up with two days notice.

The only other way would be to limit each region to 16 geographical teams. 16 from the
East, 16 from the South, 16 from the West and 16 from the Midwest. Nobody would
like that.

Biggest issue is there aren't enough good teams on the west coast, and in years like this year, where there's two west coast pods, even the 4 seeds are going to have to travel. I have no issue with it though.