• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBC | NHL to Sign New Deal

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if i want to talk hockey or listen to people talk hockey, i come here.. i dont need sportscenter to talk about it, i hardly watch that anymore anyway, its like E! for athletes now-a-days..

all i want from the TV deal is for as many games as possible to be on, and for the NHL to make money so it doesn't have to lockout when the CBA is up next year

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey on ESPN equals minimal growth and an old model - it doesn't work today. ESPN is an also ran - it is a television network with an outdated business model. The future for the NHL is with new media - video on demand, streaming live video, smartphones and IPads - somthing television cannot offer. Ed Snider's interests are much better off with this as Comcast is a powerful force in this arena.

Casual fans have too many options available to them today - in the past, if something wasn't on tv, they could flip to ESPN and maybe catch an exciting hockey game - this explains some of the growth over the past two decades. Now, if something isn't on, it's either on demand or dvr - the casual fan is not going to even bother checking out espn anymore. The options are to vast for this to happen anymore. New media, via Internet, cloud, smart phones, tablets computers (I can watch television on my IPad now, it's only a matter of time before all the broadcasters enter this arena) is the only way to go. The NHL as a league has embraced this over the past decade. As soon as I can buy an app for Center Ice, I will.

ESPN networks are not concerned with the business anymore - it's the advertising revenue. WIth ESPN, the entertainment has always come before the sports (it's in its name). ESPN 3 has partially embraced this concept, but it is only good for events it has the rights to (current programming, european soccer, etc) - to somebody in the States who wants hockey, all it has is KHL games.

It's a case of the league not needing ESPN anymore, but come this fall, ESPN may need the league. I'm sorry, growth does not equal putting the NHL on ESPN in today's day in age.

amen brother.

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bad decision by Bettman(but why should that be surprising) and the NHL in my view. Versus on the one hand is a quality network and seems to really put a lot of effort into their broadcasts.

However, NBC is notorious for only showing the same 3 or 4 teams every week and make the playoff scheduling of games all about them and what they want. Their broadcasting style is really just ripping off anything CBC and TSN are doing, even hijacking their on air personalities, and passing it off as their own ideas.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heard Darren Rovell (cnbc employee btw) on the radio pointing out some irony

in the 90's Bettman ran the league basing league revenues on expansion fees from southern US markets (somewhat like a pyramid scheme) in order to get that massive ever elusive us national tv network deal

today, 2 of the those teams are potentially heading back to canada and they get that massive no longer elusive tv network deal

go figure lol

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heard Darren Rovell (cnbc employee btw) on the radio pointing out some irony

in the 90's Bettman ran the league basing league revenues on expansion fees from southern US markets (somewhat like a pyramid scheme) in order to get that massive ever elusive us national tv network deal

today, 2 of the those teams are potentially heading back to canada and they get that massive no longer elusive tv network deal

go figure lol

Well without the Southward expansion that deal wouldnt be nearly what it is today. So in the end Bettman is somewhat validated- but nobody here will ever give him any credit.

Esle good post, but this is 2011, not 2018. I watch programming all the time that happens to be on the handful of channels I surf. TV has changed, but ESPN is still THE player in sports television, and will be for a while. I agree ts not the ONLY avenue to grow the league, but lets not pretend that ESPN is irreverent because some people have Netflix accounts and IPAD's these days.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well without the Southward expansion that deal wouldnt be nearly what it is today. So in the end Bettman is somewhat validated- but nobody here will ever give him any credit.

he got a deal today with the 9th and 12th largest US tv markets on the verge of being extinguished ... you call that validation?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
jstew, you seem to be on top of this stuff...

did you hear of any escalation clauses over the term of the deal? (10 years is a long time)
or any out clauses on either side, for that matter? (10 years is a long time)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jstew, you seem to be on top of this stuff...

did you hear of any escalation clauses over the term of the deal? (10 years is a long time)
or any out clauses on either side, for that matter? (10 years is a long time)

no I havent seen or heard anything about that ...

10 years is a long time ... you would have thought in 5 years the NHL would want to bring espn back to the table so they could bid the price up

Eddie_Shack first jokingly compared it to one of those perpetual big up front UFA contracts for players but he has a point in so much as 10 years from now this contract in all likelihood could be seen as a bargain for NBC/Comcast

did I mention Ed Snider owns Comcast?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but if would want to turn a casual sports fan into a hockey fan, you take them to a game live to get the full experience (speed, skill, hitting and atmosphere). You can't replicate that on tv, but once they're hooked, they'll tune in to get more of it.

Hockey on ESPN equals minimal growth and an old model - it doesn't work today. ESPN is an also ran - it is a television network with an outdated business model. The future for the NHL is with new media - video on demand, streaming live video, smartphones and IPads - somthing television cannot offer. Ed Snider's interests are much better off with this as Comcast is a powerful force in this arena.

Casual fans have too many options available to them today - in the past, if something wasn't on tv, they could flip to ESPN and maybe catch an exciting hockey game - this explains some of the growth over the past two decades. Now, if something isn't on, it's either on demand or dvr - the casual fan is not going to even bother checking out espn anymore. The options are to vast for this to happen anymore. New media, via Internet, cloud, smart phones, tablets computers (I can watch television on my IPad now, it's only a matter of time before all the broadcasters enter this arena) is the only way to go. The NHL as a league has embraced this over the past decade. As soon as I can buy an app for Center Ice, I will.

ESPN networks are not concerned with the business anymore - it's the advertising revenue. WIth ESPN, the entertainment has always come before the sports (it's in its name). ESPN 3 has partially embraced this concept, but it is only good for events it has the rights to (current programming, european soccer, etc) - to somebody in the States who wants hockey, all it has is KHL games.

It's a case of the league not needing ESPN anymore, but come this fall, ESPN may need the league. I'm sorry, growth does not equal putting the NHL on ESPN in today's day in age.

Two fantastic posts.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he got a deal today with the 9th and 12th largest US tv markets on the verge of being extinguished ... you call that validation?

You think the NHL would get anywhere cloes to the contract it is getting now w/o the following markets: Dallas, LA, TB, SJ, Ana, LA, Pho, NSH, Atl, Car, Fla. Sure it could live without a couple of the weak ones, but your kidding if you think it could do without a majority of them. Not saying Bettman is a god, but he should get SOME credit for presiding over the league for the almost two decades prior to this NHL TV contract. Doubt much will come from this board, however.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
You think the NHL would get anywhere cloes to the contract it is getting now w/o the following markets: Dallas, LA, TB, SJ, Ana, LA, Pho, NSH, Atl, Car, Fla. Sure it could live without a couple of the weak ones, but your kidding if you think it could do without a majority of them. Not saying Bettman is a god, but he should get SOME credit for presiding over the league for the almost two decades prior to this NHL TV contract. Doubt much will come from this board, however.

Pho, Atl. done deal. glad you can finally admit that.

Bettman has been very good for the owners. that why they pay him so much.
Has he been AS good for the health and integrity of the game itself. I don't think so.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Must....spread....rep....

ESPN is quickly becoming to sports what MTV has become to music.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but if would want to turn a casual sports fan into a hockey fan, you take them to a game live to get the full experience (speed, skill, hitting and atmosphere). You can't replicate that on tv, but once they're hooked, they'll tune in to get more of it.

It's like the difference between watching an adult film and having actual sex. You might think you know how much fun it is, but until you jump in there and try it...

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree the rise of alternate media has cut into ESPN's market share, but it is still the center of the American Sports World and will be for a long time to come.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the deal I wanted. NBC/VS (NBCSG) has been very good to the NHL. Granted, before the merger VS was better than NBC but not that they're 1 company you have even less reason to leave them. As someone who doesnt follow football or basketball I have no reason to ever tune in to Sportscenter or anything ESPN anymore. All of the leagues have their own networks, and their own highlight shows and last I checked ESPN only covered the NFL better than the NFL Network (really not a surprise considering the network is 90% football now including high school, I cant wait til they start showing pop warner games). The overflow may be the biggest reason why this is a good deal. Disney has ESPN, ESPN 2, and ESPN Classic. I can't see them using ESPNews to show live games if needed. NBCSG has NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, VS, USA, Universal Sports, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other channels. We've seen NBC use all of these networks in some way during Olympic years, so I'm sure they'll use them for the occasional overflow that will happen. That combined with the fact that NBC is building a new studio for the NHL Network in CT makes it a great deal.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great deal, imo. Sounds like a lot more games and an opportunity to grow. I'm glad Versus is getting a chance. It hasn't always been the best coverage ever, but it has certainly improved from one season to the next. If the sport wants to grow then all things hockey need to, including coverage. Hard for anybody to improve anything if they know that their time is limited. I think it's fitting that they are being shown some loyalty. The loyalty aspect of hockey brought us all here in the first place.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read some more on this deal in the paper this morning and here are a couple of really good nuggets I pulled from it (my apologies if this is repeating)...

(1) EVERY Stanley Cup playoff game is going to be broadcast on network or cable television starting with next year's playoffs. NBC will use Versus and NBC to broadcast many of them and overflow on to CNBC, MSNBC, etc. (like Tilo noted about for Olympic coverage) to cover any additional games. So, for the next decade, you will never miss a playoff game you want to watch because it is on Centre Ice, blacked out b/c of local/national interests, etc.

(2) Versus is going to be re-branding themselves with hockey as their central focus. It remains unclear if that will mean a name change for the channel or just more promotion of the NHL, but they are essentially making themselves a hockey channel.

Reports suggest these elements (especially #1) were important to the NHL and a key reason (aside from $200 million obviously) that NBC/Versus got the deal.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(2) Versus is going to be re-branding themselves with hockey as their central focus. It remains unclear if that will mean a name change for the channel or just more promotion of the NHL, but they are essentially making themselves a hockey channel.

Reports suggest these elements (especially #1) were important to the NHL and a key reason (aside from $200 million obviously) that NBC/Versus got the deal.

I dont think that point above is correct. As people have already pointed out above, they are rebranding Versus as NBC Sportsnet. Initially yes, it will be heavy on hockey because that is the main sports property they have rights to. But the intention is to try and go head to head with ESPN by acquiring more sports broadcasting rights packages

The one thing I heard that was interesting was NBC and Comcast will work together to increase the reach that NBC Sportsnet has. So come October 2011, hopefully we dont have to hear the familiar refrain of "I cant get Versus in my hotel room"

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think that point above is correct. As people have already pointed out above, they are rebranding Versus as NBC Sportsnet. Initially yes, it will be heavy on hockey because that is the main sports property they have rights to. But the intention is to try and go head to head with ESPN by acquiring more sports broadcasting rights packages

Oh okay. Just reporting what I read in the article, but it could be wrong.