• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBC | NHL to Sign New Deal

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
loki read the link they are going to have more games on. If you read my post you know what I feel about ESPN. It was at one time great now it blows and has treated hockey like shit. I can't understand why ANY hockey fan would want another pat on the head from these pricks.

I did read the link, but I didn't see anything about me not having to miss first round playoff games.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I had TSN. I know its blasphemy but in my opinion CBC has been getting more and more bush league all the time.

I think its a fine move by Versus and NBC. I dont think ESPN respects the game and I do not think giving them a contract hoping they reverse their trend of the half decade would be a wise idea. The NHL doesnt need ESPN at all.

I really think they are going to step away from hockey come 2014-15 (or in a face saving move partner with Rogers for a national contract ... if the CRTC allows this)

a government subidized network versus a communications conglomerate. The writings on the wall

maddogmark25

In the Pot Bunker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was reading the comments on the ESPN news story that was posted (yea, ESPN posted news about this) and its blows my mind how people actually think going to ESPN would help the NHL

People have already forgotten about the Comcast merger; this deal is the first fruits of that merger

Besides, Ed Snider and his mucho dollars would never allow the NHL to leave NBC/Comcast without ESPN ponying up a high price tag...and it looks like ESPN wasn't willing to cough up 2 billion

Very good move by the NHL

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There could be a day in the not-too-distant future when there is no NHL hockey on CBC (and the main reason is that the CBC is essentially broke).

beat me to it ... again! :)

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was reading the comments on the ESPN news story that was posted (yea, ESPN posted news about this) and its blows my mind how people actually think going to ESPN would help the NHL

People have already forgotten about the Comcast merger; this deal is the first fruits of that merger

Besides, Ed Snider and his mucho dollars would never allow the NHL to leave NBC/Comcast without ESPN ponying up a high price tag...and it looks like ESPN wasn't willing to cough up 2 billion

Very good move by the NHL

Is ESPN worse than the network that played Kentuck Derby pregame instead of playoff OT?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is ESPN worse than the network that played Kentuck Derby pregame instead of playoff OT?

I see what you mean but that's kind of apples to oranges. NBC, not Versus, cut off the game for the Preakness. Would ESPN's partner network ABC have done the same thing? Its speculation but I see no reason to think that they wouldn't.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is ESPN worse than the network that played Kentucky Derby pregame instead of playoff OT?

That was horse shit.
I think they are worse than NBC but in my opinion, there is nothing worse than a game not on TV that could be.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I wish I had TSN. I know its blasphemy but in my opinion CBC has been getting more and more bush league all the time.

you mean you didn't appreciate the Tenticle Envy segments with Milbury and Grapes yesterday?
expertly moderated my McLean, I thought.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see what you mean but that's kind of apples to oranges. NBC, not Versus, cut off the game for the Preakness. Would ESPN's partner network ABC have done the same thing? Its speculation but I see no reason to think that they wouldn't.

Ah, it was the Preakness, you're right.

ABC probably would too, but I'm not going to rejoice and act like NBC is awesome. They are awful.

maddogmark25

In the Pot Bunker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That was way back when NBC had virtually no investment in the NHL, hence it was better financially for them to put the horse racing on for the ratings

They now (and by they I mean Comcast) have a huge (2billion) investment in the NHL...I don't think you would see something like that happening again.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think its a fine move by Versus and NBC. I dont think ESPN respects the game and I do not think giving them a contract hoping they reverse their trend of the half decade would be a wise idea. The NHL doesnt need ESPN at all.

Thank You Comeds!! For the life of me I can't figure out why people want to line up and kiss ESPN's ass after the way they treated OUR sport. Screw them.

I think it's the name ESPN that hypnotizes people. Not the quality of their programming. They are not the only game in town anymore. Ask CNN how that works out.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thank You Comeds!! For the life of me I can't figure out why people want to line up and kiss ESPN's ass after the way they treated OUR sport. Screw them.

I think it's the name ESPN that hypnotizes people. Not the quality of their programming. They are not the only game in town anymore. Ask CNN how that works out.

ESPN may have horrible programming, but that doesn't stop everyone in America from watching it. Fact is that it would be one of the best chances to grow the sport. Now, it depends if you care about that or not, I guess.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify my point, I actually would have been mad if ESPN got exclusive rights but I don't see why they could not have been thrown a bone to show games that were not going to be shown. I do see where they could have been contractual issues with Versus and NBC about it though.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To clarify my point, I actually would have been mad if ESPN got exclusive rights but I don't see why they could not have been thrown a bone to show games that were not going to be shown. I do see where they could have been contractual issues with Versus and NBC about it though.

That's what I was hoping for too.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you mean you didn't appreciate the Tenticle Envy segments with Milbury and Grapes yesterday?
expertly moderated my McLean, I thought.

lol

if one joined that broadcast late it would have looked like good ole Ronnie was about to give Milbury the old prostate stroke

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN may have horrible programming, but that doesn't stop everyone in America from watching it. Fact is that it would be one of the best chances to grow the sport. Now, it depends if you care about that or not, I guess.

Why are we obsessed with ramming hockey down peoples throats? I have watch the game for 50 years and love it.

To me it's about the game . not ratings, not commercials or whatever. If you want to watch the game fine , if not fine watch something else. The casual fan will probably not care as well.

Personally I don't care.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why would NBC/Comcast want to give up the exclusivity ... especially when we might be looking at the nhl next fall being the only pro NA sport not going through a work stoppage

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if not enough people care, we end up like the coyotes and no money to pay our superstars. I see your point boss, but in the end, business is business.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why are we obsessed with ramming hockey down peoples throats? I have watch the game for 50 years and love it.

To me it's about the game . not ratings, not commercials or whatever. If you want to watch the game fine , if not fine watch something else. The casual fan will probably not care as well.

Personally I don't care.

It doesn't bother me really, but it is depressing seeing the attendance for Florida Panthers games. In other words, I wouldn't mind if more people started watching, though it's not going to have any affect on whether or not I tune in.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't bother me really, but it is depressing seeing the attendance for Florida Panthers games. In other words, I wouldn't mind if more people started watching, though it's not going to have any affect on whether or not I tune in.

I agree with you there but you left out Atlanta. :)