• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA compared to NHL

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I tend to agree with this article instead:

Y! SPORTS

Killer line:

Good-team discount or not, a league in which Brooks Orpik is making almost 40 percent more than Christian Ehrhoff is one that has plainly gone mad. Or perhaps it's always been that way, and the problem's just undiagnosed.

Absolutely, 100%, positively, accurately true.

Ryan Miller looks absolutely GOOFY in that picture...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Miller looks absolutely GOOFY in that picture...

He looks defeated and he hasn't even worn that jersey in a RS game yet.

Must be nice to be a washed up goalie getting $18 million the next 3 years.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I tend to agree with this article instead:

Y! SPORTS

Killer line:

Good-team discount or not, a league in which Brooks Orpik is making almost 40 percent more than Christian Ehrhoff is one that has plainly gone mad. Or perhaps it's always been that way, and the problem's just undiagnosed.

Absolutely, 100%, positively, accurately true.

So I read the whole thing and this stood out.

The fact of the matter is that goalies should be the easiest guys to value in the league. They can be judged on one stat, and one stat only: save percentage. That's it. If you're above league average — as Miller is — then you're good. If you're below it, then you really don't deserve to be paid very much at all, because you're actively detrimental to the team. Pretty simple, some team factors enter into it, but not as much as one might expect.
If this is the case than Quick is just average. The league S% this past season was .914. Quick's S% was .915.
So based on this statement he is grossly over paid and in fact it is the defense that is carrying the load and not him. Yes he has come up with a save or two but really he is just an average goalie if one goes by the statement above.
In 2012 he had a .929 S%. That year the NHL S% was .914. That is a major difference, that was a top notch goalie. But now I do wonder.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he faced 700 more shots in '12, if he played more this season his S% would be a bit higher. 2012 would be hard year to match anyways and they are not paying him just based off S%

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my money the best judge of a goalie's worth would be Goals Against Average. Yes it is also a very team defense based statistic but other than that the only other stat worth looking at is Wins. Just my opinion of course and it doesn't have any more value than anyone else's.

Ox

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my money the best judge of a goalie's worth would be Goals Against Average. Yes it is also a very team defense based statistic but other than that the only other stat worth looking at is Wins. Just my opinion of course and it doesn't have any more value than anyone else's.

Ox

GAA is a good one, I personally like save percentage the best.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also prefer S%, but I know it can be skewed as well. Remember when the Kings would get 30 sog but only 2-3 were scoring chances or even something other then a bad angle long shot from the boards, they can make a goalies stats look outstanding

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is not accounted for in Save % or GAA is a goalie's mental attitude and make-up.
Quick's is top notch, and his competitive fire and leadership is probably best in the league.
Remember his going down the bench talking to his teammates after his sub-par play vs SJ in playoffs?
How about mask to mask with Crawford? His shutting down other teams in 3rd period or OT after giving up a couple?
No numbers taking that into account.
For a one game playoff, give me Quick anytime.
[and he was playing with a damaged (fractured? broken?) wrist...]

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best goalie I ever saw was Hasek in his prime, I'm not sure if stats do him justice, I just remember he was dominant compared to his peers. How do you measure that?

:noidea:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan of SP%, it gives a better understanding to me anyway of how good a goalie is. The Kings don't allow a lot of shots to begin with, which tells me Quick was a bit off this year, but also mentioned are the intangible things: he is a winner and a warrior twice proven. He makes the big saves more often than not when needed and always puts his team in a position to win most nights.

Looking at cap hit comps, these are the other goalies between $5 and $6 million:

Ryan Miller - $6 million
Kari Lehtonen - $5.9 million
Semyon Varlamov - $5.9 million
Quick - $5.8 million
Mike Smith - $5.67 million
Sergei Brobovsky - $5.625 million
Jimmie Howard - $5.29
Marc-Andre Fleury - $5 million

There isn't a single goalie in that range I would rather have that Quick, he is better than all of them. Fleury is a damn headcase and WTF is Mike Smith doing on this list to begin with? Holy hell he is overpaid.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan of SP%, it gives a better understanding to me anyway of how good a goalie is. The Kings don't allow a lot of shots to begin with, which tells me Quick was a bit off this year, but also mentioned are the intangible things: he is a winner and a warrior twice proven. He makes the big saves more often than not when needed and always puts his team in a position to win most nights.

Looking at cap hit comps, these are the other goalies between $5 and $6 million:

Ryan Miller - $6 million
Kari Lehtonen - $5.9 million
Semyon Varlamov - $5.9 million
Quick - $5.8 million
Mike Smith - $5.67 million
Sergei Brobovsky - $5.625 million
Jimmie Howard - $5.29
Marc-Andre Fleury - $5 million

There isn't a single goalie in that range I would rather have that Quick, he is better than all of them. Fleury is a damn headcase and WTF is Mike Smith doing on this list to begin with? Holy hell he is overpaid.

MAF is the only goalie on that list other than Quick to win the Cup tho. I think MAF gets a lot of blame but our defense is putrid and often leaves MAF hanging. $5 million for MAF isn't a bad deal IMO, but I'll admit I'm bias.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you are LOL.

We watch him too, and sorry my friend, he sucks. Especially when the clock turns April. I think he is on the low end of a starting goaltender honestly in terms of talent.

Plus I think he is a pile of shit for sitting on the bench and showing off his Mr. Ed teeth when DiPietro got his lunch handed to him by Johnson several years ago. Have some class, you stupid frog.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you are LOL.

We watch him too, and sorry my friend, he sucks. Especially when the clock turns April. I think he is on the low end of a starting goaltender honestly in terms of talent.

Plus I think he is a pile of shit for sitting on the bench and showing off his Mr. Ed teeth when DiPietro got his lunch handed to him by Johnson several years ago. Have some class, you stupid frog.

Not sure why that makes him a pile of shit. He didn't knock out DiPietro, he didn't know the severity of that injury at the time, he was just rooting for a teammate in a goalie fight.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why that makes him a pile of shit. He didn't knock out DiPietro, he didn't know the severity of that injury at the time, he was just rooting for a teammate in a goalie fight.

It was after Ricky Fragile got KO'd, they panned in on his face sitting on the bench and he was just gawking and laughing. I never was a fan of the guy and that just spoke of his character more than anything to me.

I've seen a ton of fights in the NHL as have most of us and apart from the stick taps I have never seen anyone do that. It's a serious moment in a game and it seemed to me he was mocking DiPietro.

Big reason why the next time they met and the Islanders gooned it up on Penguins I didn't feel bad at all. Running up the score, acting like a tool and overall just disrespecting another team in my book gives a team the green light to go WWF on the other team.

They had it coming.

Last edited by a moderator: