• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA commissioner Adam Silver open to changing formate of NBA playoffs and draft

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Silver, while working for the NBA before becoming the league's commissioner, floated the idea of adding play-in games for the postseason and got some support from owners.

Now as commissioner, Silver remains "fascinated" with the idea of a tournament to determine the final playoff spots.

"By having a seven-game series, you reduce the randomness of the outcome," Silver said. "I think what's so exciting about college basketball -- and I'm a huge college basketball fan -- is the single-elimination tournament, the NCAA tournament. There, statistically, you're gonna have a lot more upsets. So, I think for us, well, I have mixed views.

Source: ESPN

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8th and 9th seeds 1 game play in would be awesome, they aren't going to the finals anyways let it be random.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thank you. I hate play-in games in MLB & I would hate for the NBA. Play-in games outside of March Madness only makes the playoffs more exciting for the teams that wouldn't originally be in the playoffs. Of course some owners would be in favor of this, it means there is a slight chance that they could make into the playoffs & put more money in their pockets even if their team doesn't deserve to be there.

Pro Tip: If you want to make the playoffs more exciting, bring more parity to the league. So that the teams that do make it, I am looking at you eastern conference, deserve to be there & might "upset the apple cart".

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thank you. I hate play-in games in MLB & I would hate for the NBA. Play-in games outside of March Madness only makes the playoffs more exciting for the teams that wouldn't originally be in the playoffs. Of course some owners would be in favor of this, it means there is a slight chance that they could make into the playoffs & put more money in their pockets even if their team doesn't deserve to be there.

Pro Tip: If you want to make the playoffs more exciting, bring more parity to the league. So that the teams that do make it, I am looking at you eastern conference, deserve to be there & might "upset the apple cart".

This.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People just need to settle down. He's a new commish. Of course he's "open" to ideas. He wouldn't be doing his job if he weren't. None that means he's going to change everything just for the hell of it though.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only let 4 teams in from each conference. the regular season is a joke. guys are getting nights off just to rest in January. something needs to change

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only let 4 teams in from each conference. the regular season is a joke. guys are getting nights off just to rest in January. something needs to change

And how would this change? If you have a good team with older players, you will not to try and have them play every single B2B or 3 games in 4 nights stretch

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Pod a major reason the nba is so popular is because the playoff length to regular season length ratio...and playoff games make a shit ton of money

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the one thing the NBA does right! The playoffs, You won't see some shitty mediocre 9-7 team get lucky a couple times and win the NBA Championship. When the Best of 7 is done, you know the best team won the title.

Look at how many sub .500 teams are going to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. It would be an absolute joke if somehow one of them won the NBA Title.

That won't happen if we keep the Best of 7 formats.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind a play-in for the bottom seed, might actually help the tanking problem a little bit...

I love the 7 game series, the NBA is the one sport where you know the best team (not the hottest team) is gonna come out with the championship.