• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA All Star Draft : CHAT

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if i can't play small ball, then i will play tree rollins more... and then my PF would be a center more often...

But then again, a basketball novice probably should not have attempted a strategy like this..LOL...

I'm not saying that, I think it's a great strategy... That's why Dirk is good to have here, he causes that type of mismatch... Dantley is too small IMO to have him try but that's just my opinion... James Worthy, Dr J, Lebron, Dominique, Larry Bird guys like that who who have a little more size would be some I would try... Tmac is a little softer than I'd like but he's an interesting play there...

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have 1 drop I'd like to make when possible unless anyone with a pick wants Monta... I'd love to keep him but his strengths are too similar to Reggie Lewis and Lewis is better defensively...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Tmac but even more so Dantley at the 4 does more to hurt than help... For instance if I have in 6'10" Larry Nance it would hurt you defensively with Dantley being 6'5" but it would hurt more on the boards... The key to small ball is your 4 has to be efficient and it helps if they play bigger on the boards and defense... Tmac is more dangerous because he can stretch but Dantley likes to attack off the dribble and doesn't force so much pressure from deep... My PF would have to give him room to force the jumper and contest the shot... Zach Randolph would eat them both up on the blocks but would struggle more defensively since he's a little less mobile than Nance... Point is IMO, matchups do change the situation but when you give up size you lose 2 (defense and rebounding) to gaining 1 (offense)...

I agree and disagree at the same time.

Playing small in general can be a huge advantage, depending on who the smalls are. It is easier in general for smaller players to guard bigs than it is for bigs to guard perimeter players because it is easier to help the post than it is to help a perimeter player in space. If those perimeter players can shoot the 3 and attack the rim, the big man could be in trouble defensively. BUT, you need the right players to do it. If you have a non-shooter on the floor, it makes it easier for opposing big to match up.

In the example above, McGrady ir Dantley would be completely overmatched defensively, but you can help and double to mitigate the disadvantage. If your opponent has multiple shooters though, you are probably getting screwed. On the defensive end, I think Randolph would have an easier time guarding Dantley than Dantley or TMac would have guarding Randolph. Not easy mind you, just easier.

To effectively pull off the small ball lineup against high quality post players, your offensive advantage has to be greater than the defensive deficit. If my team went small, however, with LeBron at the 4, LeBron is big enough and strong enough to effectively guard ZBo, but ZBo would struggle more to defend either LeBron or one of my shooters. Whether or not it would make sense for me to go that route would depend on the other wing matchups and whether I needed LeBron to guard one of those other players.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that, I think it's a great strategy... That's why Dirk is good to have here, he causes that type of mismatch... Dantley is too small IMO to have him try but that's just my opinion... James Worthy, Dr J, Lebron, Dominique, Larry Bird guys like that who who have a little more size would be some I would try... Tmac is a little softer than I'd like but he's an interesting play there...

This is spot on.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In fact, players like Worthy and Bird would surely be 4s if they were in the league today. They have the skilled size that is oh so valuable.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, players like Worthy and Bird would surely be 4s if they were in the league today. They have the skilled size that is oh so valuable.

I toyed with the idea of making Bird my 4....

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I can find 3 extra units, would you recommend dropping dantley for Dominique??

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@blstoker is OTC but I think to early to text him

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't .We might be able to work a trade if you don't want him

Maybe someone with my basketball IQ should not have tried an out of the box strategy, sounds like everyone is saying I did not do it well enough... Now I need to find a way to fix my team to give me a chance to beat anyone besides WLK

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Nos set my lineup is how I'll play my team. No changes needed. I did debate of keeping Horry on bench and Marion as the starter but WLK talked me into keeping Big Shot Rob in the starting lineup. Also how the hell did WLK get MJ, West and then close out his team with Ewing? UK and Stoke I blame you if he advances. :D

STARTERS
PG - Gary Payton - $9
SG - Reggie Miller - $5
SF/PF - Robert Horry - $0
PF - Pau Gasol - $6
C - Shaquille O'Neal - $15

BENCH
PG - Mark Jackson - $1
SG - Jerry Stackhouse - $2
SF - Ron Artest - $1
SF/PF - Shawn Marion - $4
C - Bill Laimbeer - $4

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Nos set my lineup is how I'll play my team. No changes needed. I did debate of keeping Horry on bench and Marion as the starter but WLK talked me into keeping Big Shot Rob in the starting lineup. Also how the hell did WLK get MJ, West and then close out his team with Ewing? UK and Stoke I blame you if he advances. :D

STARTERS
PG - Gary Payton - $9
SG - Reggie Miller - $5
PF - Pau Gasol - $6

BENCH
PG - Mark Jackson - $1
SF - Ron Artest - $1
C - Bill Laimbeer - $4
I'd have started Artest over either of them lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for you basketball experts...

is my NO PF strategy crazy???

In today's game it would work, in these drafts I don't think it will work as much depending on who you are placing at PF IMO

Last edited:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

STARTERS
PG - Gary Payton - $9
SG - Reggie Miller - $5
PF - Pau Gasol - $6

BENCH
PG - Mark Jackson - $1
SF - Ron Artest - $1
C - Bill Laimbeer - $4

Horry was big shot Rob bc he came in off the bench in the 4th quarter and made big shot after big shot. Artest is your best option and he was actually a big scoring threat in his prime, plus he doesn't match-up well against a lot of SF's, especially if they are quicker.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would much rather put T-Mac at point than down low, he thrived much more.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horry was big shot Rob bc he came in off the bench in the 4th quarter and made big shot after big shot. Artest is your best option and he was actually a big scoring threat in his prime, plus he doesn't match-up well against a lot of SF's, especially if they are quicker.

Happy now :suds:

STARTERS
PG - Gary Payton - $9
SG - Reggie Miller - $5
SF - Ron Artest - $1
PF - Pau Gasol - $6

BENCH
PG - Mark Jackson - $1