• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: National Championship Game - Gonzaga vs. UNC

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that has anything to do with the 1 and done rule though. Kids in the 80's and 90's for the most part stayed in college at least a couple of years. Kids now a days leave after 1 or 2 years. For reasons I don't know, but that's where we are. We're never going to see a team like Kentucky or Duke loaded with upperclassmen. I also think there's more incentive to leave as early as you can, whether you're going to be a top 5 pick(to start the clock on your 2nd contract) or whether you're going to be a 2nd rounder/UFA. Plus kids are way more entitled these days than kids were back in the 80's and 90's. Some would rather play in the D League for 50-70K then stick around another year.

I think this is a pretty big issue as well. Anyone with an ounce of talent or promise is poached immediately... and it doesn't seem to matter how well they can shoot or if they even process fundamental skills. For that matter, the mid range shot in college is super rare. Spacing and movement are sketchy at best as well.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not arguing that, but I think a change in the rule would really help. I believe the baseball is you can go straight to MLB, but if you go to college you have to stay 2 or 3 years. I think that would really help

I think the football rule is better, you need to be out of HS 3 years to be drafted.

I agree, college basketball was better back then as a whole.

However, in the current format, the non-big boys have much more of a chance to make the Final 4 and even win.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that has anything to do with the 1 and done rule though. Kids in the 80's and 90's for the most part stayed in college at least a couple of years. Kids now a days leave after 1 or 2 years. For reasons I don't know, but that's where we are.

It's funny to think it now, but it was that way just because that's the way things were. Kids actually wanted to stay in college to work on their game. Kids actually relished the college experience. Kids actually said, "The $ will still be there."

I remember Shaq and he would have been the #1 pick every year if he would have come out, but he stayed 3 years. Not only that, but for an LSU team that was going nowhere...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny to think it now, but it was that way just because that's the way things were. Kids actually wanted to stay in college to work on their game. Kids actually relished the college experience. Kids actually said, "The $ will still be there."

I remember Shaq and he would have been the #1 pick every year if he would have come out, but he stayed 3 years. Not only that, but for an LSU team that was going nowhere...

Yeah I really think the only explanation is that kids and times are different and its almost impossible to think that it will ever get back to the way it was.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After reading this I had to go look up some college stats on Shaq. It's been a while and I was thinking maybe he was a little 'unpolished' why at LSU.. but his stats were great. But it does sound like he also had some pretty good parental support to help him make good decisions... otherwise he very well could have been a one and done guy.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading this I had to go look up some college stats on Shaq. It's been a while and I was thinking maybe he was a little 'unpolished' why at LSU.. but his stats were great. But it does sound like he also had some pretty good parental support to help him make good decisions... otherwise he very well could have been a one and done guy.

Isn't that unreal? He averaged 27ppg, 15 rpg, and 5 bpg as a soph and he was the guaranteed #1 pick and went back to school.

Nowadays, a guy can average 4 points a game and he leaves after his freshman year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that unreal? He averaged 27ppg, 15 rpg, and 5 bpg as a soph and he was the guaranteed #1 pick and went back to school.

Nowadays, a guy can average 4 points a game and he leaves after his freshman year.

I think Shaq should be used an example for some of these kids that think they need to turn Pro after their freshman year. Shaq stayed 3 years and still made almost 300 million in on the court earnings. If you're good enough, you can make a shit load of money despite spending a couple extra years in college. It's almost as if they have it embedded into their brain that they can't make money, or develop in college, and need to come out before they have too. It's like you're considered a failure in college if you stay 3 or 4 years now a days. I really hate that line of thinking.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was something.. both in college and in the nba. I remember being in middle school(i think) when he entered the draft and wanting rookie cards for both him and Larry Johnson. LOL!! LONG time ago!!

But yeah, I don't know what's going on these days. Kids these days must think they're a lock for the nba just becuase they play D1 ball.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of it I expectations. Kids grew up thinking they would play 3 years of college and then on to the NBA. That was just what kids did. It was extremely rare to leave before your 3Rd year.This generation grew up with Kobe, McGrady, and LeBron. They expect to be playing in the NBA as soon as possible.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the football rule is better, you need to be out of HS 3 years to be drafted.

I agree, college basketball was better back then as a whole.

However, in the current format, the non-big boys have much more of a chance to make the Final 4 and even win.

I like the baseball rule. You don't restrict a kids ability to work. LeBron had no need for college. Baseball rule just makes you choose. Happy with straight to NBA or 3 years of college

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just remembered Shaq was the 2nd best center recruit at LSU. Stanley Robert's was #1. He left after his freshmen year. Shaq had proved better

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq said when he went to the NBA at the time that he was tired of getting triple teamed. He left with 1 year remaining to get a bachelor's degree but still finished his degree while in the NBA. He has since earned advanced degrees. A really good example in college football is Peyton Manning. He stayed 4 years at Tennessee. His fourth year when he went back to college he would have been the #1 pick in the draft also. I remember being impressed with his decision back then. I understand though why players leave early to accomplish their dream and make more money.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq said when he went to the NBA at the time that he was tired of getting triple teamed. He left with 1 year remaining to get a bachelor's degree but still finished his degree while in the NBA. He has since earned advanced degrees. A really good example in college football is Peyton Manning. He stayed 4 years at Tennessee. His fourth year when he went back to college he would have been the #1 pick in the draft also. I remember being impressed with his decision back then. I understand though why players leave early to accomplish their dream and make more money.

To be fair there was Ken Swilling. He was an All-American safety at GT. Projected first round pick. He tore his knee up coming back for his senior year. He was never the same. That is why I wI'll never judge a kid for leaving.