• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: National Championship Game - Gonzaga vs. UNC

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Leaf was the no#2 pick behind Peyton, he has more time in prison then RG3 has been an adult. Good news is he is from a military background, disciplined and that wont happen
I guess Leaf figured a life in crime was easier than playing NFL football.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Leaf figured a life in crime was easier than playing NFL football.

I think RG3 is smarter than that. If he ends up going through his millions, he could work with Kaepernick " Do you want that supersized? "

Reactions: GNG

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the worst played title games I've ever seen. Officiating was dreadful too. Still the worst was the 2011 title game in which UConn beat Butler 53-41. Some "highlights" from that game:

-Butler shot 18.8% from the field (lowest in any NCAA title game, lowest in an NCAA tourney game since 1946)
-Fewest combined points in title game since 1949
-Worst combined field goal percentage (26.1%) in a title game since 1948
-UConn had 2 made three pointers the entire Final Four. Their combined 109 points scored in the two games were the lowest by the champion since Oklahoma A&M in 1946
-Butlers 3 two pointers made in the Final are the lowest in a single game in NCAA tourney history

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the worst played title games I've ever seen. Officiating was dreadful too. Still the worst was the 2011 title game in which UConn beat Butler 53-41. Some "highlights" from that game:

-Butler shot 18.8% from the field (lowest in any NCAA title game, lowest in an NCAA tourney game since 1946)
-UConn had 2 made three pointers the entire Final Four. Their combined 109 points scored in the two games were the lowest by the champion since Oklahoma A&M in 1946
-Butlers 3 two pointers made in the Final are the lowest in a single game in NCAA tourney history

Uconn also held their opponents to like 96 total points.

No one shot well at that FF.

It was widely speculated that size of the stadium created some kind of depth perception issue. That entire FF was loaded with just brutal shooting.

Vcu vs. Butler - Box Score - April 2, 2011 - ESPN

Kentucky vs. Connecticut - Box Score - April 2, 2011 - ESPN

Look at those shooting %s from the national semifinals.

Brutal.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm outta here.. Sorry if I pissed anyone off w/my opinions and hopefully no hard feelings. Congrats on your win, UNC.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The arizona team didn't shoot any better against UConn in the E8.

Arizona vs. Connecticut - Box Score - March 26, 2011 - ESPN

Nor did SDSU shoot that well.

Connecticut vs. San Diego State - Box Score - March 24, 2011 - ESPN

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I'll admit I don't like UNC & I'm biased against them"

And that's all that needs to be said.:D
But nearly everyone is going to fall into a pro or con category, so who is left to comment?

You think its reasonable that in 23 years no one EVER made an off-hand comment about not having to go to class?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that relevant? He said UNC hasn't suffered any set backs. I listed them. Just because UNC has been able to deal with it does not mean they haven't had any set backs. None of that has to do with Virginia Tech whatsoever.

it was a joke

stop being so serial bech

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a great season but didn't play very well in the Championship game. I was surprised at their lackluster performance. UNC played poorly too or the game wouldn't have been close.

They are both defensive teams that ran out of gas in the 2nd half UNC just made those 1-2 key plays that pulled them ahead to win. I am giving more credit to UNC playing defense and exhausting the bulldogs more so than us not playing well

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a hell of an accomplishment to win a title, so congrats to UNC. That said, damn do I miss college basketball. I mean real college basketball, not this watered down version. I really hope they look at changing the 1 and done rule and take a look at college baseball's rule.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a hell of an accomplishment to win a title, so congrats to UNC. That said, damn do I miss college basketball. I mean real college basketball, not this watered down version. I really hope they look at changing the 1 and done rule and take a look at college baseball's rule.
No way, the set up right now is the best there is. Everybody looks forward to March Madness yearly. The upsets and everything that happens is the best part.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way, the set up right now is the best there is. Everybody looks forward to March Madness yearly. The upsets and everything that happens is the best part.

The set up is not the issue... it's everything else. The 1 and done rule is one issue, but officiating might be a bigger problem. The NC game was completely ruined after refs took control of the game. How many other great match-ups were ruined as well? Also, I don't think this is as popular as you think. Sure, everyone fills out a bracket.. but after that, I think most people could give a shit less. Went to Bdubs to watch the F4 matchups and the final and the place was absolutely dead both nights.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs were certainly a joke that NC game, but Roy Williams is actually a swell guy. Their program however is indeed shady and cheats.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You missed the pt. The set up has not changed much over the years, the talent and play have. Compare this UNC team to the title teams under Dean Smith. National Champion is generally 1 of 2 things. Mediocre talent that is very experienced or very talented with little basketball IQ. You used to see NBA talent in their 3rd year of college

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed the pt. The set up has not changed much over the years, the talent and play have. Compare this UNC team to the title teams under Dean Smith. National Champion is generally 1 of 2 things. Mediocre talent that is very experienced or very talented with little basketball IQ. You used to see NBA talent in their 3rd year of college

I don't think that has anything to do with the 1 and done rule though. Kids in the 80's and 90's for the most part stayed in college at least a couple of years. Kids now a days leave after 1 or 2 years. For reasons I don't know, but that's where we are. We're never going to see a team like Kentucky or Duke loaded with upperclassmen. I also think there's more incentive to leave as early as you can, whether you're going to be a top 5 pick(to start the clock on your 2nd contract) or whether you're going to be a 2nd rounder/UFA. Plus kids are way more entitled these days than kids were back in the 80's and 90's. Some would rather play in the D League for 50-70K then stick around another year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that has anything to do with the 1 and done rule though. Kids in the 80's and 90's for the most part stayed in college at least a couple of years. Kids now a days leave after 1 or 2 years. For reasons I don't know, but that's where we are. We're never going to see a team like Kentucky or Duke loaded with upperclassmen. I also think there's more incentive to leave as early as you can, whether you're going to be a top 5 pick(to start the clock on your 2nd contract) or whether you're going to be a 2nd rounder/UFA. Plus kids are way more entitled these days than kids were back in the 80's and 90's. Some would rather play in the D League for 50-70K then stick around another year.

Not arguing that, but I think a change in the rule would really help. I believe the baseball is you can go straight to MLB, but if you go to college you have to stay 2 or 3 years. I think that would really help

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not arguing that, but I think a change in the rule would really help. I believe the baseball is you can go straight to MLB, but if you go to college you have to stay 2 or 3 years. I think that would really help

The baseball rule is 3 years I believe. And while I agree that it would bring some cohesiveness to a roster, you'd also miss out on some of the best talents playing in college at all and going straight to the pros. Even if the baseball rule is adopted that still won't prevent kids from transferring either, which is at an all time high and something that wasn't to the degree that it is now.

I just don't ever think we'll see what we saw in the 80's and 90's.