• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NASCAR fines Denny Hamlin for "disparaging" remarks

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is such bullshit. NASCAR continues to be inconsistent and piss of it's drivers and fans as well. I am not a Hamlin fan, in fact I think he's a douchebag, but in this case I would say I support him 100%. Anyone who has watched the practices and races so far knows that this new GEN6 car is garbage right now. There is absolutely no racing going on. They line up single file and turn laps. After Phoenix Denny told it like it was and called out the new car. NASCAR took issue with it and fined him $25,000.

Hamlin Fined, Says He Wont Pay

Driver Denny Hamlin has been fined $25,000 by NASCAR for comments the sanctioning body considers detrimental to the sport, and Hamlin responded angrily Thursday, saying he won’t pay the fine.

Hamlin finished third in Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Phoenix but wasn’t too impressed with the new Gen-6 car at its first non-restrictor-plate track.

Some of Hamlin’s comments:

“I don't want to be the pessimist, but it did not race as good as our Generation-Five (Car of Tomorrow) cars. This is more like what the Generation-Five was at the beginning. The teams hadn't figured out how to get the aero balance right. Right now, you just run single-file, and you cannot get around the guy in front of you. You would have placed me in 20th-place with 30 (laps) to go, I would have stayed there. I wouldn't have moved up. It's just one of those things where track position is everything.

“It's frustrating because you can catch a guy, you just can't pass him. Once you get in his wake, there's just no getting around him. That's just something that's a byproduct of a new car that we really haven't developed all that much. A very, very hard tire from Goodyear – especially on the left side. We've got to get that softer. Once we do that, you'll have some tire wear and overtaking like there's supposed to be."

In a statement released Thursday, NASCAR called Hamlin’s comments “disparaging.”

“Following the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event last Sunday at Phoenix International Raceway,” the NASCAR statement read, “Denny Hamlin made some disparaging remarks about the on-track racing that had taken place that afternoon. While NASCAR gives its competitors ample leeway in voicing their opinions when it comes to a wide range of aspects about the sport, the sanctioning body will not tolerate publicly made comments by its drivers that denigrate the racing product.”

Speaking to reporters Thursday afternoon at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where Sprint Cup teams were testing, Hamlin said the fine has angered him, telling media members he would not pay it and adding that NASCAR can suspend him.

"This is the most upset and angry I've been in a really long time,” Hamlin said. “... It was an opinion, not even a bad one."

NASCAR vice president Robin Pemberton said Hamlin has the ability to appeal the fine. In an afternoon press conference, Pemberton defended the NASCAR action.

“We give them (drivers) quite a bit of latitude, but you can’t slam your racing,” he said. “You can’t slam your product. That’s where it crosses the line.

“Constructive criticism is one thing, but there are different statements that people make that are damaging. We won’t tolerate those types of things.”

The fine signals that NASCAR apparently is adopting a very protective stance in relation to its new Sprint Cup car, one that the sanctioning body believes will offer significantly better racing, particularly at the circuit’s intermediate tracks. The first big test in that arena will come Sunday at the 1.5-mile Las Vegas track.

The Phoenix race had 12 lead changes among nine drivers. There was little competition at the front until the closing laps. Race winner Carl Edwards led 122 of the 316 laps.

If Hamlin does not pay the fine (all fines go to the NASCAR Foundation charity), the money can be deducted from race winnings.

Hamlin also said he would not discuss competition – except in the cases of wins – for the rest of the year.

Mike Hembree is NASCAR Editor for SPEED.com and has been covering motorsports for 31 years. He is a six-time winner of the National Motorsports Press Association Writer of the Year Award.

Official NASCAR Statement

NASCAR has fined driver Denny Hamlin $25,000 for comments he made following the March 3 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway.

NASCAR determined that Hamlin violated Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) of the 2013 NASCAR Rule Book.

NASCAR issued the following statement regarding the penalty:

“Following the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event last Sunday at Phoenix International Raceway, Denny Hamlin made some disparaging remarks about the on-track racing that had taken place that afternoon. While NASCAR gives its competitors ample leeway in voicing their opinions when it comes to a wide range of aspects about the sport, the sanctioning body will not tolerate publicly made comments by its drivers that denigrate the racing product.”

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That be some mighty fine bullshit right there. Grade A

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that Hamlin is a douchebag, but I also stand with him in this case. I honestly believe that Nascar has opened up a can of worms that they are going to be sorry for!

FNG

Chiefs Baby Chiefs!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he will not pay the fine.

NASCAR will change stuff on these cars all year long. i.e. (spoiler, front grill opening, etc)

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see if it was one of the shittier drivers, but come on one of your big draw drivers just giving his opinion on the new car....WTF NASCAR???? They just wanna kill all fan base they have!!!!