• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

napoli re-signs with sox, beltran to the bronx

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
worrld will be pissed

The Yankees have agreed to a three-year contract worth $45 million with Carlos Beltran.
Beltran, 36, has made it no secret over the years that he one day wanted to play for the Yankees. He offered to sign with them at a discount before latching on with the Mets before 2005, and two years ago he gave New York a chance to match the two-year, $26 million he received from the Cardinals.
The Yankees, meanwhile, were reportedly holding firm at a two-year offer. The apparently decided to offer the third year after losing Robinson Cano to the Mariners. Beltran joins a crowded outfield that includes incumbents Brett Gardner, Ichiro Suzuki and Alfonso Soriano as well as newcomer Jacoby Ellsbury.
In 145 games for St. Louis in 2013, Beltran hit .296/.336/.491 (128 OPS+) with 24 home runs. He'll be able to split time between right field and DH with the Yankees, which fits best at this point of his career. Beltran had knee problems a few years ago but has stayed relatively healthy the last three seasons while playing in the DH-less league.
The Cardinals will receive a supplemental first round pick for losing Beltran. The Yankees will forfeit the supplemental first rounder they received for losing Cano as a result of adding Beltran. They lost their first rounder for signing Brian McCann and the supplemental pick they received for losing Curtis Granderson to the Mets when they agreed to sign Ellsbury.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
noteables this past weekend

thunder blow out pacers

Celtics blow out knicks

panthers get humbled in new Orleans

mets give granderson too much money

shanahan's resume should be on monster dot com by noon today

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cox, larussa, torre to HOF

Cox managed the Braves for 25 seasons in two separate stints, in addition to guiding the Blue Jays for four seasons. He has to his credit five pennants and one World Series (1995, with the Braves). Cox also claimed 15 division titles, 14 of which came with the Braves. Three times he won NL Manager of the Year, and once he was named AL Manager of the Year. Cox, who retired following the 2010 season, ranks fourth on the all-time list with 2,504 wins.
La Russa's Cooperstown dossier includes three World Series titles (he joins Hall of Famer Sparky Anderson as the lone managers to win a World Series in each league), six pennants and the most wins of any manager not named Connie Mack or John McGraw (2,728 of them). La Russa also led three different teams -- the White Sox, Athletics and Cardinals -- to the postseason. He retired after leading the Cardinals to the championship in 2011.
As for Torre, he long ago positioned himself as a strong “hybrid” candidate. As a player, he tallied 2,342 hits and 252 home runs, and he also was a nine-time All-Star and the 1971 NL MVP. As a manager, Torre ranks fifth on the all-time wins list with 2,326 victories with the Mets, Braves, Cardinals, Yankees and Dodgers. Along with Joe McCarthy, Casey Stengel, Connie Mack and Walter Alston, Torre is one of five managers to win the World Series at least four times.
Cox, La Russa and Torre will be inducted alongside those elected by the BBWAA on Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Cooperstown. The results of the BBWAA vote will be announced on Jan. 8 of next year.
Also on the ballot were former Yankees owner George Steinbrenner; long-time manager Billy Martin; and players Dave Concepcion, Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Dave Parker, Dan Quisenberry and Ted Simmons; and legendary MLBPA leader Marvin Miller.
Under Veterans' Committee rules, each voter can list up to five names on his ballot, and each candidate must be named on 75 percent of ballots (or 12 out of 16) in order to earn election. This time around, no other candidate received more than six votes.
Members of the 16-man committee include Hall of Famers Rod Carew, Carlton Fisk, Whitey Herzog, Tommy Lasorda,Joe Morgan, Paul Molitor, Phil Niekro and Frank Robinson; major league executives Paul Beeston (Blue Jays), Andy MacPhail (formerly of the Twins, Cubs and Orioles), Dave Montgomery (Phillies) and Jerry Reinsdorf (White Sox); and historians Steve Hirdt (Elias Sports Bureau), Bruce Jenkins (San Francisco Chronicle), Jack O'Connell (BBWAA secretary) and Jim Reeves (formerly of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram).

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An expected move/decision/outcome, but still. I ask for so little in life, but, at the same time, I always seem to ask too much.....

Major League Baseball's lawyers say in a court filing that the Oakland Athletics' request to move to San Jose was turned down in June by commissioner Bud Selig.
The decision was included in a joint case management statement filed Friday in U.S. District Court in San Jose as part of a lawsuit filed by the City of San Jose against MLB and Selig on June 18.
"MLB denied the Athletics' relocation request on June 17, 2013, one day before this lawsuit was filed," an MLB portion of the filing said. "On that date, Commissioner Selig formally notified the Athletics' ownership that he was not satisfied with the club's relocation proposal."
MLB declined comment. Athletics owner Lew Wolff said in an email: "I do not comment on legal proceedings" and "I continue to follow the process that MLB has set forth."
While MLB decided there was not a proposal it could approve last June, it's unclear whether that stance could change in the future.
MLB defines San Jose and its suburbs in Santa Clara County as the exclusive territory of the San Francisco Giants.
The city of San Jose in its suit accused MLB of conspiring to stop the team's proposal to move to a planned ballpark in downtown San Jose.
U.S. District Judge Ronald M. Whyte decided in October to dismiss San Jose's antitrust claims, citing the sport's antitrust exemption created by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1922. He allowed the city to pursue allegations of contract interference.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yahoo:

Los Angeles has prospects significant enough to pique the Rays' interest, but Price actually suiting up in Dodger Blue appears to be something of a long shot. Minor leaguers like Joc Pederson, Cory Seager, and Julio Urias could be part of a potential package, but there are many roadblocks that stand in the way of such a massive deal.
Then again, this is the Dodgers we're talking about.

Los Angeles Dodgers blog True Blue LA Tampa Bay Rays blog DRaysBay

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]362624924847833088[/MEDIA]"]ESPN's Jim Bowden recently reported[/ame] that the club won't entertain the idea of moving Pederson, and Seager has enamored himself to the organization quite a bit as well -- though a rotation featuring Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Price, Hyun-jin Ryu, and the recently signed Dan Haren might be too exciting for general manger Ned Coletti to pass on in the end. While the Dodgers do have Josh Beckett returning from surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome, giving them five starters already, Price is an obvious upgrade and is under team control for an additional season as well. The cost for that boost will be extraordinary, so unless there are also plans for an extension on the 2012 AL Cy Young winner, the Dodgers might end up backing away in the end.
With that being said, Haren was lights out down the stretch for the Nationals and might be far more than a back-end arm should he replicate the 3.29 ERA he posted over his last 15 starts and 16 games for Washington. Should Beckett actually be healthy, he too could be more than what you normally get out of a fourth or fifth starter. The Dodgers are not without upside, even without Price.
The Rays will be looking to bring in an even more significant return than they did when they traded James Shields to the Kansas City Royals for Rookie of the Year Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, and others last winter. If they can't find the package they want in time for 2014, there is always the 2015 season, Price's final campaign before free agency.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Gronkowski is broken.

Waaa.

Moving on....

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well, at least those of us outside of the St. Louis area don't have to listen to him anymore.

Tim McCarver retired as Fox’s leading analyst after the World Series. But he’s not dropping the mic just yet: Fox Sports Midwest is about to hire him to do a limited number of Cardinals games next season.
The idea is for him to do 20-25 games, with opportunities coming as a result of an expected reduction in Mike Shannon’s schedule, which would lead TV guys Rick Horton and Al Hrabosky to shift to radio duty, thereby opening up slots for McCarver.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
????? Why? Is the man lacking honors that this is really necessary?

During a triumphant visit by Nelson Mandela to New York in June 1990, shortly after he had been released from a South African prison, one of his most memorable stops was a rally and concert at Yankee Stadium, where he put on a team cap and jacket and proclaimed, “I am a Yankee.”
To commemorate that moment and the life of Mandela, the South African leader who died last week at 95, the Yankees will place a plaque in Monument Park. It will be unveiled on Jackie Robinson Day, April 15, when the Yankees play the Chicago Cubs.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Gronkowski is broken.

Waaa.

Moving on....

maryweather was right, if you can't hit the upper part, hit the lower part and take out an acl/knee.

stupid football.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are an MLB player with a pulse, the Mariners would like to talk to you and your agent. I do not see any free agent that they don't have at least mild interest in.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bigD, who's the cute blonde?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maryweather was right, if you can't hit the upper part, hit the lower part and take out an acl/knee.

stupid football.
I don't know how much of a factor the rule emphasis is here. I can't imagine a safety hitting a guy like Gronk high regardless

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Model Aneta Kowal

i'm down with this chick, love selfies.

images

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm down with this chick, love selfies.

images

Remembering that I am an old and crusty dude, I always come away with 1 main feeling after seeing this type of selfie.

"You think quite a bit of yourself, don't you".

To me, that = expensive & high maintenence.

No thank you.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remembering that I am an old and crusty dude, I always come away with 1 main feeling after seeing this type of selfie.

"You think quite a bit of yourself, don't you".

To me, that = expensive & high maintenence.

No thank you.

maybe in Hollywood, but up here in new England, it's simply called a horny chick who needs to get spanked.

i'm all for it :suds:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many NFL QBs will be getting their pink slips today or tomorrow?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you fuckers doing in here?