• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Top 25/Power Rankings [11/24 - 12/1]

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) Kentucky (5-0)

Duke may be a better team than Kentucky. However, the platoon system shows an insane amount of depth and talent. You can't move Kentucky from the 1 spot until they move themselves. As of right now, five players are averaging nine points or more. None of those players are in for more than 23 minutes. The platoon system can't last long when you have players star gazing at what could be, if those players get an extra 10-15 minutes a game, they could be putting up 20+ points per game. The platoon system won't last, but that might be better for Kentucky.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 vs Texas-Arlington, Nov. 30 vs Providence

2.) Duke (5-0)

Jahlil Okafor played phenomenal through the first three games, but recently slowed down while the vet took over. In the past two games Okafor is averaging 13 and 10, but the area of concern comes in the 11/30 from the field. Despite the poor shooting from Okafor, Duke has found comfort in the consistency of Justice Winslow and Quinn Cook. This Duke team has too many options and have played beautiful, un-selfish basketball.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs Furman, Nov. 30 vs Army

3.) Wisconsin (4-0)

The top two scorers on the team combine for 34.6 points per game with 61% shooting. That's a damn efficient scoring combo, and that comes with out mentioning that the third option is scoring 14 a game on 57% shooting. The Badgers offense is looking potent this far. Their first true test comes in 10 days when they host Duke.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs UAB

4.) Arizona (3-0)

After a halftime deficit to UC Irvine, Arizona takes on Missouri tomorrow in the Maui Invitational. I still have my doubts about the Wildcats, so it'd be nice to see a handy win against Missouri. Losing Johnson and Gordan is a tough task to get past. If they're going to make it far, Stanley Johnson needs to shoot the ball better than he has.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Missouri

5.) Texas (4-0)

Returning your entire starting lineup is pretty impressive, it's even more impressive when you return 94% and bring in the #2 recruit in the nation. A decent amount of people were calling for an upset when Texas played Cal, but Texas pulled it by double-digits even with out Isaiah Taylor leading them at point. I like this Texas team a lot, as you can tell by the 5 ranking. But more than I like Texas, every one else after them seem to sketchy. The Longhorns have a good chance to prove themselves a little more than they already have on the 30th against UConn.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 vs St. Francis, Nov. 30 @ #25 UConn

6.) Louisville (3-0)

This team seems too dependent on a big year from Montrezl Harrell. Where do they turn if he can't produce? A backcourt of Jones and Rozier may form one of the best backcourts in the country, but it also may not be. Chris Jones is shooting .295 right now, and Blackshear is proving to be inconsistent. If Harrell goes down, Louisville is looking at a long year. Granted, if he doesn't go down, if Jones turns it around and Blackshear can be a little more consistent, then the Cardinals are looking at a potentially huge year.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Savannah State, Nov. 26 vs Cleveland State

7.) Virginia (4-0)

Virginia and their good ole' smothering defense. The Cavaliers gave teams fits last year with their defense, it was fun to watch defense win the ACC regular season championship. But I have my doubts about this team as well, and you could have guessed it, it's about the offense. Joe Harris was a huge part of this team, and his 12 points per game were certainly more than they seemed like. Virginia needs to find some form of offense. For now, Anderson and Brogdon are holding up, but will that last?

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 vs Tennessee State, Nov. 28 vs La Salle

8.) North Carolina (3-0)

UNC returns their top scorer and potential player of the year, and they lose McAdoo (a good thing in some eyes). A lot of North Carolina's season is going to come down to how Meeks plays, and so far he's looked pretty damn good. This team is just a hot mess that I have trouble siding with though, after high expectations in the past two years they finished with double-digit losses and dropped out of March Madness in the round of 32. North Carolina is a team to be cautious of.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs Butler

9.) Gonzaga (4-0)

A lot of people see this Gonzaga team as one of the most talented they've had, but a lot of people see this Gonzaga team as the same old Mid-Major team that won't make it much further than the Sweet 16 at most. Despite losing quite a few pieces, the Bulldogs also return Pangos, Karnowski and Bell as well as adding Wiltjer, Perkins, and an unranked Sabonis recruit that looks pretty good so far. If Gonzaga is going to do something, this is year to do it. I have a good feeling about this team, outside of my top 5, I may have the most faith in Gonzaga.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs Georgia

10.) Wichita State (3-0)

Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet have a lot hanging on their shoulders this season. After a great season (and an early exit) last year, it'd be nice to see Wichita State get a similar season done this year, but I don't see it happening. Early was a huge part of this team, along with Wiggins and Lufile coming in handy at points. They have an easy conference schedule, so Wichita will get out of the year with only four to five losses, but it won't be anything like last year unless Baker and VanVleet can play absolutely outstanding.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 29 vs Tulsa

11.) Kansas (1-1)

After such an embarrassing loss to Kentucky, is it time to be on edge with Kansas? I want to tell myself that it is, but you can't write Kansas out as long as Bill Self is still alive and well coaching them. As of now though, this team isn't looking that great. I guess you just have to give Self time to do his thing.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Rider, Nov. 27 @ Rhode Island

12.) Villanova (3-0)

Four of five major players return for Villanova a year after one damn good season. No one really saw Villanova coming last year, but now they're on the national scene from the start. They are losing their top scorer, but they return all the other key components with an extra year of development under them. As of right now, Villanova is sitting pretty. However, if they lose bad to VCU, this team could spiral downhill pretty quickly.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 @ #13 VCU, Nov. 30 vs Delaware

13.) VCU (3-0)

VCU is returning the A-10 player of the year and 69% of their minutes. VCU has yet to score less than 85 points, and they have five players scoring in double-digits. A win over Villanova will be a nice statement win early in the season.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs #12 Villanova, Nov. 29 @ Old Dominion

14.) San Diego State (3-0)

San Diego State has looked good defensively this year, but offense has been a struggle. The team is shooting 35%, this needs to get fixed as soon as possible.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs BYU

15.) Iowa State (2-0)

The Cyclones lost major players in Ejim and Kane, but Niang and transfer Dejean-Jones can be key pieces for Iowa State this year. Monte Morris will also see an increased role after last year, Iowa State has potential this year.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Alabama

16.) Miami (4-0)

After an upset over Florida, the two transfers from Kansas State and Texas suddenly seem like they may make even more noise for the ACC. The Hurricanes have looked pretty good this far, Rodriguez and McClellan may be quietly forming one of the better back courts in the country.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 @ Charlotte, Nov. 28 vs South Alabama

17.) Ohio State (3-0)

The Buckeyes lost a lot of minutes, but that hasn't seemed to both them through the first couple games. They lost Smith, Ross and Craft, so it'll be interesting to see if the Buckeyes can keep it up.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs Campbell, Nov. 28 vs James Madison

18.) Michigan State (2-1)

Michigan State looked pretty good against Duke for a little while in there. Eventually Duke would pull away, but Dawson and Trice were able to hold Michigan State around. Those two are the key to the Spartans this year, who may be a little better than we all think they are.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Santa Clara, Nov. 27 @ Rider

19.) Florida (2-1)

After Miami managed to upset Florida, they came down to the wire with UL Monroe. They lost Prather, Wilbekin and Young, all were huge pieces to this team. They may go through a down, rebuilding year this year.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 @ #24 Georgetown

20.) West Virginia (5-0)

Staten showed just how big he's going to be this year when WVU upset UConn. For the most part, they're going to go as he goes. West Virginia could finally get back on the map with a run this year if all goes well.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs VMI, Nov. 29 vs College of Charleston

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too long for the first post..

21.) Michigan (3-0)

I wouldn't trust this team for much this year. It seems like in an inconsistent season is coming. A peak of 15-18 in the polls, with the Wolverines weaving in and out of the top 25 to sneak in march madness at the end seems like a respectable season for them this year.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 @ Oregon, Nov. 29 vs Nicholls State

22.) Stanford (3-1)

The Cardinals made a run last year, big thanks to Chasson Randle and Stefan Nastic. Both are back this year, and both looked pretty impressive in a good game against Duke.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 vs Delaware, Nov. 30 @ DePaul

23.) Arkansas (3-0)

Bobby Portis looks good so far. Arkansas may add a little depth to a very depleted SEC. They get their first test on the at SMU, SMU just fell to Indiana and will be looking to rebound.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 @ SMU, Nov. 28 vs North Texas, Nov. 30 vs Iona

24.) Georgetown (3-0)

The Hoyas didn't do that great last year, but now they return almost everyone other than Starks. They also added on a couple big recruits. Georgetown will get to show what they've got on Wednesday when they take on Florida.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs #19 Florida

25.) UConn (3-1)

The defending champions have played some bad basketball so far. Ryan Boatright can only do so much for you, the rest of this team needs to start chipping in. They fell to West Virginia after having all too close games with Bryant, Charleston and Dayton.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 30 vs #5 Texas

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6.) Louisville (3-0)

This team seems too dependent on a big year from Montrezl Harrell. Where do they turn if he can't produce? A backcourt of Jones and Rozier may form one of the best backcourts in the country, but it also may not be. Chris Jones is shooting .295 right now, and Blackshear is proving to be inconsistent. If Harrell goes down, Louisville is looking at a long year. Granted, if he doesn't go down, if Jones turns it around and Blackshear can be a little more consistent, then the Cardinals are looking at a potentially huge year.

Louisville only put up 45 as a team tonight. Harrell put up 15, but the team had no where to turn after him. Blackshear was inconsistent, and the backcourt couldn't hit a shot for their lives. Keep in mind, this was against a Cleveland State team that's 2-3 (losses to Iona and Savannah State). Louisville is going to struggle searching for offense all year

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) Kentucky (5-0)

Duke may be a better team than Kentucky. However, the platoon system shows an insane amount of depth and talent. You can't move Kentucky from the 1 spot until they move themselves. As of right now, five players are averaging nine points or more. None of those players are in for more than 23 minutes. The platoon system can't last long when you have players star gazing at what could be, if those players get an extra 10-15 minutes a game, they could be putting up 20+ points per game. The platoon system won't last, but that might be better for Kentucky.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 vs Texas-Arlington, Nov. 30 vs Providence

2.) Duke (5-0)

Jahlil Okafor played phenomenal through the first three games, but recently slowed down while the vet took over. In the past two games Okafor is averaging 13 and 10, but the area of concern comes in the 11/30 from the field. Despite the poor shooting from Okafor, Duke has found comfort in the consistency of Justice Winslow and Quinn Cook. This Duke team has too many options and have played beautiful, un-selfish basketball.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs Furman, Nov. 30 vs Army

3.) Wisconsin (4-0)

The top two scorers on the team combine for 34.6 points per game with 61% shooting. That's a damn efficient scoring combo, and that comes with out mentioning that the third option is scoring 14 a game on 57% shooting. The Badgers offense is looking potent this far. Their first true test comes in 10 days when they host Duke.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs UAB

4.) Arizona (3-0)

After a halftime deficit to UC Irvine, Arizona takes on Missouri tomorrow in the Maui Invitational. I still have my doubts about the Wildcats, so it'd be nice to see a handy win against Missouri. Losing Johnson and Gordan is a tough task to get past. If they're going to make it far, Stanley Johnson needs to shoot the ball better than he has.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Missouri

5.) Texas (4-0)

Returning your entire starting lineup is pretty impressive, it's even more impressive when you return 94% and bring in the #2 recruit in the nation. A decent amount of people were calling for an upset when Texas played Cal, but Texas pulled it by double-digits even with out Isaiah Taylor leading them at point. I like this Texas team a lot, as you can tell by the 5 ranking. But more than I like Texas, every one else after them seem to sketchy. The Longhorns have a good chance to prove themselves a little more than they already have on the 30th against UConn.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 vs St. Francis, Nov. 30 @ #25 UConn

6.) Louisville (3-0)

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Savannah State, Nov. 26 vs Cleveland State

7.) Virginia (4-0)

Virginia and their good ole' smothering defense. The Cavaliers gave teams fits last year with their defense, it was fun to watch defense win the ACC regular season championship. But I have my doubts about this team as well, and you could have guessed it, it's about the offense. Joe Harris was a huge part of this team, and his 12 points per game were certainly more than they seemed like. Virginia needs to find some form of offense. For now, Anderson and Brogdon are holding up, but will that last?

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 vs Tennessee State, Nov. 28 vs La Salle

8.) North Carolina (3-0)

UNC returns their top scorer and potential player of the year, and they lose McAdoo (a good thing in some eyes). A lot of North Carolina's season is going to come down to how Meeks plays, and so far he's looked pretty damn good. This team is just a hot mess that I have trouble siding with though, after high expectations in the past two years they finished with double-digit losses and dropped out of March Madness in the round of 32. North Carolina is a team to be cautious of.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs Butler

9.) Gonzaga (4-0)

A lot of people see this Gonzaga team as one of the most talented they've had, but a lot of people see this Gonzaga team as the same old Mid-Major team that won't make it much further than the Sweet 16 at most. Despite losing quite a few pieces, the Bulldogs also return Pangos, Karnowski and Bell as well as adding Wiltjer, Perkins, and an unranked Sabonis recruit that looks pretty good so far. If Gonzaga is going to do something, this is year to do it. I have a good feeling about this team, outside of my top 5, I may have the most faith in Gonzaga.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs Georgia

10.) Wichita State (3-0)

Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet have a lot hanging on their shoulders this season. After a great season (and an early exit) last year, it'd be nice to see Wichita State get a similar season done this year, but I don't see it happening. Early was a huge part of this team, along with Wiggins and Lufile coming in handy at points. They have an easy conference schedule, so Wichita will get out of the year with only four to five losses, but it won't be anything like last year unless Baker and VanVleet can play absolutely outstanding.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 29 vs Tulsa

11.) Kansas (1-1)

After such an embarrassing loss to Kentucky, is it time to be on edge with Kansas? I want to tell myself that it is, but you can't write Kansas out as long as Bill Self is still alive and well coaching them. As of now though, this team isn't looking that great. I guess you just have to give Self time to do his thing.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Rider, Nov. 27 @ Rhode Island

12.) Villanova (3-0)

Four of five major players return for Villanova a year after one damn good season. No one really saw Villanova coming last year, but now they're on the national scene from the start. They are losing their top scorer, but they return all the other key components with an extra year of development under them. As of right now, Villanova is sitting pretty. However, if they lose bad to VCU, this team could spiral downhill pretty quickly.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 @ #13 VCU, Nov. 30 vs Delaware

13.) VCU (3-0)

VCU is returning the A-10 player of the year and 69% of their minutes. VCU has yet to score less than 85 points, and they have five players scoring in double-digits. A win over Villanova will be a nice statement win early in the season.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs #12 Villanova, Nov. 29 @ Old Dominion

14.) San Diego State (3-0)

San Diego State has looked good defensively this year, but offense has been a struggle. The team is shooting 35%, this needs to get fixed as soon as possible.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs BYU

15.) Iowa State (2-0)

The Cyclones lost major players in Ejim and Kane, but Niang and transfer Dejean-Jones can be key pieces for Iowa State this year. Monte Morris will also see an increased role after last year, Iowa State has potential this year.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Alabama

16.) Miami (4-0)

After an upset over Florida, the two transfers from Kansas State and Texas suddenly seem like they may make even more noise for the ACC. The Hurricanes have looked pretty good this far, Rodriguez and McClellan may be quietly forming one of the better back courts in the country.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 25 @ Charlotte, Nov. 28 vs South Alabama

17.) Ohio State (3-0)

The Buckeyes lost a lot of minutes, but that hasn't seemed to both them through the first couple games. They lost Smith, Ross and Craft, so it'll be interesting to see if the Buckeyes can keep it up.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs Campbell, Nov. 28 vs James Madison

18.) Michigan State (2-1)

Michigan State looked pretty good against Duke for a little while in there. Eventually Duke would pull away, but Dawson and Trice were able to hold Michigan State around. Those two are the key to the Spartans this year, who may be a little better than we all think they are.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 24 vs Santa Clara, Nov. 27 @ Rider

19.) Florida (2-1)

After Miami managed to upset Florida, they came down to the wire with UL Monroe. They lost Prather, Wilbekin and Young, all were huge pieces to this team. They may go through a down, rebuilding year this year.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 @ #24 Georgetown

20.) West Virginia (5-0)

Staten showed just how big he's going to be this year when WVU upset UConn. For the most part, they're going to go as he goes. West Virginia could finally get back on the map with a run this year if all goes well.

Upcoming Games: Nov. 26 vs VMI, Nov. 29 vs College of Charleston

I would say UW Facing Florida and then either Butler or Oaklahoma is true test before they face Duke.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say UW Facing Florida and then either Butler or Oaklahoma is true test before they face Duke.

Yeah, you're completely right. I didn't even think to consider tournaments, my bad :doh::L