• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MSG has 10 years to move

Jets201

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
City Council gives Madison Square Garden 10 years to relocate - NYPOST.com

The world’s most famous arena may have to move, as Madison Square Garden’s permit to operate at its current spot above Penn Station was limited to 10 years yesterday.
The City Council voted 47-1 in favor of the 10-year limit to the lease after MSG had requested to operate at the site in perpetuity.
The move came as civic organizations are campaigning to move Madison Square Garden to another location so Penn Station can be overhauled.
The Alliance for a New Penn Station said the council “has made clear that now is time to get to work and build the Penn Station that New York City and the region desperately need in order to improve transit access and spur economic growth in the city and throughout the region.”

Kim Kerns, an MSG spokeswoman, noted the arena is in the midst of a three-year renovation costing nearly $1 billion.
“Madison Square Garden has operated at its current site for generations and has been proud to bring New Yorkers some of the greatest and most iconic moments in sports and entertainment,” Kerns said.
Home to the Knicks and the Rangers, the current MSG opened in 1968 and has hosted legendary boxing matches and concerts.
The venue sits atop Penn Station, the busiest passenger train station in the United States.

Would be a shame if the Knicks & Rangers move out of Manhattan in favor of yuppies sipping overpriced Starbucks coffee at their 9-5 cubicle job as the exodus of the middle class of Manhattan continues to happen.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the point of spending $1 billion on renovations if they have to move out in 10 years. For that kind of money they could afford to build an arena for both the Rangers & Knicks. Not a Rangers fan but I have gone to many Ranger games mainly to see the grand stage which is MSG. It feels like hockey's version of Fenway Park, a throwback to another era. A very unique hockey experience for sure.

Farmer_Ted

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't the Pens Moving to Kansas City?

Hmmm...a Pens fan quoting about another team moving, but can't remember their own history of almost being shipped to Kansas City. How ironic and bandwagoning fans the Pens have. Thank God Bettman rigged the lottery to save hockey there.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm...a Pens fan quoting about another team moving, but can't remember their own history of almost being shipped to Kansas City. How ironic and bandwagoning fans the Pens have. Thank God Bettman rigged the lottery to save hockey there.

This is funny coming from an Islander fan, but I'm just talking about the situation with MSG. Go troll someone else bro.

Farmer_Ted

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize you are on the Rangers board, right Donkey Boner?

Trolling? On the Rangers board says the Pens fan. Way to represent the worst fan base in all of sports...bunch of bandwagoners and most ill informed fans.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trolling? On the Rangers board says the Pens fan. Way to represent the worst fan base in all of sports...bunch of bandwagoners and most ill informed fans.

Yes, you're trolling. The topic of this thread is MSG, not the Pens or their fans. Also really stupid for an Islander fan to call Penguin fans bandwagoners. Same could be said about Islander fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the subject...... I love the Rangers but this is how things happen in NY. The stupidity of it all. You spend all that money probably just to spend more. Honestly its not saying they have to tear down MSG they need to redue Penn Station. But that will probably take a few years which means the Rangers will have to find somewhere else to play.... hey Hartford Rangers for a few years.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the subject...... I love the Rangers but this is how things happen in NY. The stupidity of it all. You spend all that money probably just to spend more. Honestly its not saying they have to tear down MSG they need to redue Penn Station. But that will probably take a few years which means the Rangers will have to find somewhere else to play.... hey Hartford Rangers for a few years.

Yeah, where will the Rangers be playing right after the lease expires? Seems odd for the Rangers to play anywhere besides Broadway and I'm not sure what venues in that area could cater the Rangers. Hartford Rangers, New Jersey Rangers, Long Island Rangers, just doesn't seem right. I'm really surprised the City Council would do something like this.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, where will the Rangers be playing right after the lease expires? Seems odd for the Rangers to play anywhere besides Broadway and I'm not sure what venues in that area could cater the Rangers. Hartford Rangers, New Jersey Rangers, Long Island Rangers, just doesn't seem right. I'm really surprised the City Council would do something like this.

Because it had to be done. But instead of getting with the Rangers and doing all the renovations at the same time.(That is why the Rangers have started with 9 game road trips each of the last 3 years) and also playing in Sweden they wait until its all done and say ohh well you cant extend your lease because we have to redue Penn Station. Its government at its best.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it had to be done. But instead of getting with the Rangers and doing all the renovations at the same time.(That is why the Rangers have started with 9 game road trips each of the last 3 years) and also playing in Sweden they wait until its all done and say ohh well you cant extend your lease because we have to redue Penn Station. Its government at its best.

Yeah true, very bad communication there. Don't know who to blame here. On one hand, why discontinue the lease after the renovations, on the other hand, why start the renovations until you know the lease will be extended? Seems like both sides just did whatever they wanted without the other side's input. Really makes no sense to me how this went down. Saddest part is that the biggest losers are the fans who have to deal with increased ticket prices for nothing.