• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's in Oakland, 4/10-12

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's still the worst trade in team history IMO. Two cornerstone players for a mediocre reliever that was here a year and half

Hell the trade to get Erik Bedard has to be up there... I mean we could still have Adam Jones and Chris Tillman.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been talking about the Hawks fans for awhile now.

Still a lot of angst over that SB loss, and Pac NW people who couldn't identify Nolan Ryan in a picture are suddenly becoming baseball fans because of the national press hype about the M's, hoping that M's maybe fill that void.

I'm happy for any new fans, of course, because I love baseball and gaining fans is never really bad. Hoping the new people enjoy a much longer roller coaster ride than they're used to, though.
To be honest, one of the reasons I don't chat up here more is the condescending and arrogant posts chasing off anyone with a different perspective or view on this board. And I've been told by at least a half dozen others that I'm not alone. You guys don't make this a place where even casual fans feel welcome.

What you call new fans may well be people who have at least loosely followed the M's since they have existed that for whatever reason haven't been as deeply into them over recent years as you seem to be.

I have boycotted going to the games and supporting the team in that way for years. My daughter is 13 and I think she has been to maybe 3 games in her life? What you will no doubt label as bandwagon or other derogatory term is actually just a very different approach to what has been a horribly ran team from the top down. Lincoln, Armstrong, and the rest of the front office during the time since our last playoff appearance have so badly mismanaged this team and made one mistake after another that I struggle to accept anyone supporting them or their product. Their stance in blocking the Sonics arena deal was really a deal breaker.

Have I ever stopped watching the M's? No. But when they are under .500 after the all-star game year after year it's a lot easier to flip over to football when fall camps start and erase the bad taste left in our mouths than to keep beating your heads against the same wall.

I'm sure there are plenty of other fans of similar views. We aren't 'new' fans. I will probably go to a game or two this year so maybe you can say returning, but that too is way too simplistic. We aren't baseball idiots as you like to portray us. Just because we don't spend hours pouring over various metrics doesn't mean our opinions aren't valid.

I didn't panic over the 8 game losing streak last spring and wasn't doing so over the 3 game skid they went on after Felix's opening day win.

If you want more 'new' fans up here, stop chasing them away.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want more 'new' fans up here, stop chasing them away.

I'm happy for any new fans, of course, because I love baseball and gaining fans is never really bad. Hoping the new people enjoy a much longer roller coaster ride than they're used to, though.

As far as this message board goes, generalized complaining gets out of hand very quickly. Anybody who has a differing opinion and backs it up with actual baseball arguments is rarely shunned.

Baseball idiots make themselves very apparent very quickly. No idea if you're one of them because we're all such meany heads and make you and dozens of others stay away, I know.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's still the worst trade in team history IMO. Two cornerstone players for a mediocre reliever that was here a year and half
whenever i think about it, i just replace the thought with bragg for moyer.

it helps a little.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,116.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put $75 SportsHoopla cash on Hernandez and the Mariners.

:hope:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as this message board goes, generalized complaining gets out of hand very quickly. Anybody who has a differing opinion and backs it up with actual baseball arguments is rarely shunned.

Baseball idiots make themselves very apparent very quickly. No idea if you're one of them because we're all such meany heads and make you and dozens of others stay away, I know.
You accused me of being an idiot to the point where you said I was going to be on ignore because I dared to say I want to wait until 150ab's or so before writing off anyone for the season. New skipper, new batting coach, and adding a seasoned veteran like Cano that can help guide struggling young players seemed like enough reasons to not just arbitrarily holding onto prior year results, at least until proven they aren't responding to those new conditions.

And after that exchange I heard from others who told me that's just how things are on this board.

Now, moving forward if you really want more posters here just take a second to look over your posts and see if it is coming off in a way that invites new blood or not before you click Post Reply. It's just a suggestion.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i highly doubt you're one of the people i was talking about, wh.

anyway, as awful as you perceive this message board to be, it's pretty active compared to other MLB forums on here. the population of regulars we have right now is pretty awesome, imo. after years on ESPN, it's a little like heaven.

if the m's continue to be successful, maybe some old fans who actually know and enjoy the game of baseball will come out of the woodwork, though. we'll see.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i highly doubt you're one of the people i was talking about, wh.

anyway, as awful as you perceive this message board to be, it's pretty active compared to other MLB forums on here. the population of regulars we have right now is pretty awesome, imo. after years on ESPN, it's a little like heaven.

if the m's continue to be successful, maybe some old fans who actually know and enjoy the game of baseball will come out of the woodwork, though. we'll see.
I didn't say this board was awful, I said it wasn't particularly inviting to new blood. Big difference.

And all I did was offer up advice that you are entirely free to ignore if you were sincere in your desire to have more 'new' fans up here. That's all.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say this board was awful, I said it wasn't particularly inviting to new blood. Big difference.

And all I did was offer up advice that you are entirely free to ignore if you were sincere in your desire to have more 'new' fans up here. That's all.
Okay, thanks.

I looked up the place where we had the disagreement over Smoak last year. I apologize for my flamethrower language with you over that. I've been trying to be less acidic, but it's an ongoing transition after years on ESPN.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I'd bet if someone made a thread inviting new posters to check in you might just find a few will to engage more. If you all are happy with your core group then by all means carry on.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Adam Jones trade is easily top 10 worst trade all time. If Adam Jones was on this team we'd probably have a World Series by now. We'd EASILY be making routine playoffs since Cano signing.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys please stop talking so negatively, I'm try to enjoy wins and Felix.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell the trade to get Erik Bedard has to be up there... I mean we could still have Adam Jones and Chris Tillman.

Definitely up there as one of the worst... The Heathcliff Slocumb for Lowe/Varitek was one of the worst in MLB history though...Varitek is a HOF type of a player...The Redsox had his services for 15 years while playing at an allstar level... We had Slocumb's services for 2 years and he got us a whopping 13 saves with an era of over 5...

Like someone said, Bragg for Moyer makes things a bit easier to digest... Along with the Phelps for Buhner trade for 3 reasons...
  1. Buhner was a great player for us
  2. We got the best of the Yankees
  3. Trade became a funny topic on the sitcom, "Seinfeld"...

Last edited:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every game the offense has started slow. That's gotta change obviously

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
getting some breaks today in the field...need the offense to show up

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every game the offense has started slow. That's gotta change obviously
Seems they start slow every year in general. Scoring is down all over the league, but there was what? a 40 degree drop in temperature from cactus league to that first series? Not an excuse.

Despite so many picking this team to win the division, I think a lot of them still believed this team would do well to get into may at .500. Not sure how many expected a fast start.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this A's team just hits singles and doubles like they in batting practice regardless of who is on the mound